When 500w/channel just isnt enough.

paulmapp8306

Fractal Fanatic
Matrix GT1600FX 2u Rackmount Amplifier
The GT1600FX 2u

Priced at just £610* the GT1600FX 2u is available to purchase from our online store. Please click here to order

The Matrix GT1600FX is a 1.6kw (mono bridged), 800 watts a side stereo power amp designed for guitarists who need tons of power in a lightweight, quiet and cool 2U package.

Whether you’re a bassist needing a power amp delivering maximum clean, controlled wattage to your speakers or simply a guitarist needing maximum power at higher impedances or even just someone who likes to melt the faces of the first 5 rows of an audience, the GT1600FX gives you unrivalled power and sound quality.

Featuring 800 watts per channel at 4 ohms and giving out 1600 watts in bridged mode at 8 ohms and 1000 watts at 16 ohms in bridged, this amp will handle the heavyweight power demands of pretty much anything thrown at it whilst still weighing in at an impressive 4.7kgs. Standard Neutrik combi 1/4 inch/XLR inputs and combi Speakon/1/4 inch outputs give maximum flexibility in connecting the GT1600FX to the pre-amp or modeller of your choice and a dedicated bridged mode output means no special cables. The dual speed 80mm fans also give maximum airflow whilst staying quiet enough for studio use and cool enough in the most demanding of live situations. The GT1600FX like all our amps, still has the ability to handle all impedances 4 ohms and over including mis-matched loads giving you the widest choice when using your favourite cabs and speakers. Running a 2×12 cab with an 8 ohm and 16 ohm speaker in mono or running a 4×10 4 ohm cab on one side and a 1×15 16 ohm cab on the other is no problem for the GT1600FX!

The amplifier features indicators for protection, bridged-mode and signal lights showing the output signal strength.

TECHNICAL SPECIFICATIONS

Number of channels- 2
Watts per channel rms @ 4 ohms- 800
Watts per channel rms @ 8 ohms- 480
Watts per channel rms @ 16 ohms- 240
Bridged mode rms @ 8 ohms- 1600
Bridged mode rms @ 16 ohms- 960
Input sensitivity 0.775V
Frequency Response (+/-3db ref 1kHz) 8hz-24kHz
Weight 4.7kg

GT1600FX 2u Rackmount Amplifier :: Matrix

Are you MAD?! How much power do you need? You could drive a stack left and right with that much power. That sort of power could scare small children.

The scientific community will never stand for it. Saying that, it did a sterling job as a bass power amp at Axe Fest UK.

610 British pounds sterling = 972.8890 US dollars. For $399 you can get a Carvin DCM1540L and if you check the specs they are very close to the Matrix GT1600FX.

Carvin DCM1540L

SPECIFICATIONS

OUTPUT POWER
1 CHANNEL RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 475 watts
- 4 ohms: 825 watts
BOTH CH RMS continuous
- 8 ohms: 425/425 watts
- 4 ohms: 750/750 watts
BRIDGED RMS continuous
- 8 ohms bridged: 1500 watts

Peak Power: 2100w (2 cycle pulse power)

- Frequency Response: +-.5 dB 20 Hz - 20 kHz
- THD< 0.03% @ 50% output, <.1% 20-20 kHz @ 90% output
- Output Topology: CLASS A/B
- Power Supply: Switchmode - 60% reserve - see kick drum test
- Damping Factor: >500
- Slew Rate: bridged mode >50v/µs
- Sensitivity (@ 4Ω): 1.0 Vrms
- Signal to Noise Ratio: Greater than 106 dB
- Input Impedance: >20K ohm balanced
- Speaker Guard™ DC protection for drivers
- Soft-start power-ups: prevents AC breakers from tripping
- Over-Current: protected
- Under-Voltage: protected
- Thermal: protected
- Fan: variable speed
- Shock-proof SMT construction
- FR4 fire retardant circuit boards
- Aluminum chassis
- Air Flow - "rear to front" for cooler rack
- AC generator friendly
- AC Input: 120VAC 60HZ
- Fuse: 25 amps
- 2RU rackmount
- Dim: 19" (48cm) wide x 10.5" (26.6cm) deep x 3.5" (9cm) high
- Weight: 14 lbs (6.4kg)
- Made in the USA
- 3 year warranty

Are you MAD?! How much power do you need? You could drive a stack left and right with that much power. That sort of power could scare small children.
I'm not mad and I have two of the Carvins, one that I use with my Axe-Fx. The numbers may seem like overkill but believe me it's a very good power-amp at a great price. It's lightweight, very dependable, clean, quiet, and runs cooler then any power-amp I've ever had. IMO you just can't ask for much more especially at that price.

From a price point the Carvin DCM1540L is the big winner here!

Now we have to wait for an A/B comparison. But $1000 vs $300 is to much.

Lots of price difference, but its quality and sound that really matters.

People chose the GT800, and 1000 over Carvin units much lower in price because f what it brings in tone/weight. OK the 1U size was a big pull as well and the 1500 doesnt have that. this 1500 isnt that much more than the 1000 so ???

Still, people will buy what people will buy. just pointing out the release. And yes - it powered the PA for Axe-FX-UK and sounded great.

I'm a bass player only, have axe2 and until today I don't know which matrix power amp I'll buy... the 1u with 500 watts or this one with 800watts... but 2U :/

Ohh god :/

Depends what your cabs will handle. If they will handle 800w, then go for that one. In fact if they will handle 400w then go for the 800, because you'll have the extra headroom. If your cabs cant handle that much, then the 500w/side might be enough.

here's a slightly different perspective..

when you fly with kit, weight becomes an issue..

sometimes just a kilo or two is the difference between the check-in girlie letting you go or charging you more...

within Europe, the limit is generally 22kg with a max [for bagage handler health and safety] at 32kg
it you weigh in at around 25kg to 28kg, most nice check-in girlies with wave you through
unless they are Lufthansa - where a single atom over the limit is strictly forbidden
if you are getting much above the 26kg / 27kg range they'll charge you over-weight..
but they'll charge you all the way back to 22kg
you can therefore get hit with a bill of around 80 Euro each way....
not fun

and on a nice long haul flight like London to Tokyo, the costs get real big real quick..
it can be 200 to 300 each way...

if you play a lot overseas, the Matrix will pay difference between itself and the Carvin within just a few years / tours
I reckon that over the last 10 years I've coughed up enough in over-weight charges to buy a new GT1600
had I been kitted with the lighter GT1000, I'd guess I could had avoided at least helf of the charges [possibly more]

so for my needs, in a straight head to head [assuming they all sound pretty much the same]
- GT1000 wins
- GT1600 is a seriously viable option [assuming that 500W a side is not quite enough - which I somehow just can't imagine]
- Marshall 8008 which I have now and is a healthy contributor to my charges
but is considerably lihgter than the EL34 100W/100W, seriously loud, seems to have almost no tonal shortcomings when compared to it's bigger bro
- Carvin is not even an option

it's all about needs...

That's my main problem clarky...

I use a 4u rack... with the axe2, line relay and monster power pro2500. And is already heavy...
With a Gtx1000 (1U) i would cut off the rack the monster power and use a monster or furman power outlet...

And assuming that the poweramp in the stage is just for me to listen what I'm playing and the sinal to the PA is directly from the axe2.
Why use a 800watts poweramp for the stage?
Even if I use an 8x10cab or 4x10cab?

just for the sake of comparison...from a bassist...

I'm using a couple of Crown amps: the XLS Drivecore 2500, which specs comparably to the GT1600FX, is almost the same weight, and prices around $549US; and the XTi 4002, which exceeds the power ratings of the GT1600FX, is almost 2x the weight, and sells for about the same price $899US. One other significant difference with the Crown amps is that they both offer multi-mode operation and onboard processing. The XTi series also has recallable presets with deeper features that can be programmed via USB with computer software (HiQnet System Architect or Band Manager) which is an incredibly flexible arrangement to tailor the onboard crossover points, parametric EQs, hi/lo pass filters, sub synthesis, and limiters. (yes, I am a fan of the XTi...big time.)

I use both amps for bass guitar, powering both FR pa cabinets and an 8x10 SVT Classic cabinet. I like the results I get with these amps (XLS2500 for less demanding gigs), with the XTi 4002 being really superior IMO.

some links:

XLS Drivecore
XTi 2 Series
http://www.crownaudio.com/media/storagebk/amp_htm/xti2files/XTi2 datasheet.pdf
HARMAN To Debut Crown HiQnet Band Manager

All that said, Matrix amps are really good stuff. If I didn't need any of the crossover capabilities of the Crown amps, I'd jump all over the GT1600FX! (I know, I know....Matrix makes power amps with crossovers, too...XT4004EQ...mmmmm...yummy!)

In addition to my two DCM1540L power-amps I also have a DCM200L power-amp and IMO it just doesn't have the power required for a guitar rig. It does however do a great job of powering my desktop monitors.

This is very strange….
My Mesa 2:90 is 90w per side, I can barely drive 30% of its brutal power @ any situation, even in a amll club (150 people, amp is miced to the PA).
The Carvin DCM200L has the switching power supply using a rear impedance button, you get 100w/100w @ 8 ohms or 4 ohms (with a flick of a switch) and even if you leave it on the 8 ohms 60w/60w, it's still a lot of power, how can it be that it doesn’t have enough power for a rig ?
I'm really curious about it, again – I'm comparing it to my 2:90 which I barely tickle it's crazy amount of power.

this is from its specs:
OUTPUT POWER
Stereo, both channels driven with REAR IMPEDANCE SWITCH "IN"
- 8Ω: 60/60 Watts
- 4Ω: 100/100 Watts
Minimum 4 ohms per channel

Stereo, both channels driven with REAR IMPEDANCE SWITCH "OUT"
- 8Ω: 100/100 Watts
- 4Ω: not used
Minimum 8 ohms per channel

Soundwise, did you try it with the AxeII , what do you think ?

Thanks.

You need to read up on why SS watts appear quieter than Valve watts. Lots of explanations here and other sources.

Without going into too much depth:

1. A valve power amp is rated clean, but can be driven well past that rating into overdrive. Even when you THINK its clean, its often not. your 90w Mesa can generate up to twice that.

2. A SS power amp, when it reaches is max rated OP clips - and its SS clipping which is harsh, you therefore need to operate well within its rated limit - you need at least 3db headroom (3db is double power, or -3db is half power) from your absolute maximum. in real terms 6db is better to completely remove the chance of that clipping.

Therefore, for direct comparison, your Mesa valve amp needs to be treated more like a 45w amp (which will generate a max of around 90w), while the SS equivalent needs to be 4x that 90w (6db) - so somewhere around 360w. You can get exactly these figures, but rounded up to what is generally available, a 100w valve amp provides roughly the same volume as a 400w SS amp.

On top of that, you need to take into consideration the speaker load. A valve amp gives its rated Op into a given load - however you can change that load from the OP selector (or one of specifically rated Jack OPs), therefore the Mesa will always give its rated 90w into your speaker. A SS amp can be connected to any load (as long as its at least x, usually 2 or 4 Ohms). However, the further your load gets from its rating, the less power is generated. Rule of thumb is 1/3 power loss for every doubling of the load. So, a SS amp rated at 100w into 4 Ohms will only give around 65w into 8 Ohms and 45w into 16 Ohms. This needs taking into account.

The upshort is, if your using a typical 4x12 cab rated at 16 Ohms, that little carvin is giving approx 45w into that cab - factoring the headroom you need with a SS amp, its going to have a similar max volume to a 5-10w valve amp.

Back
Top Bottom