What's your string gauge? Manufacturer?

011-052 d'Addario for 14 years now (used to run 010 - 046 before). Consider going back to 010-052 as I'm not getting any younger and have been suffering cramps in my left hand fingers playing live lately, by the end of the set.

I use 10-52s across the board and set up the guitars depending on the tuning for the tension I like. I like the strings to fight back when I play though so take that as you will. D'addario btw
Exactly the same here for the last 40 years. A 10.5 on the top E gives a better balance of tensions, but for me it's not worth the extra cost and effort.

I've used pure nickel strings for a long time, in a 10-46 gauge set. I haven't ever tried a set with a 9.5 E string, and am intrigued by this thread. I might set up one of my guitars with them and see how it goes.

I usually use D'Addario 10s on my 6 strings due to my heavy right hand, but I do miss the lighter feel of 9s when doing the wheedley-whee stuff. Picked up a Jem a few years ago and decided to split the difference by using a 9.5 set. Good balance of low string resistance and high string flexibility. It's small difference but noticeable.

Ernie Ball 10-46 (Regular/RPS/Cobalt) on all my electrics
I'm going to try Rotosound on my next string change, because I love their bass strings.

Not much in my setup that I can just pick up at GC. That includes my string set.

Hmmm...I may try these. I like my 9.5 D'Addarios on Fenders for the high string bends, but miss the thicker strings on the low end. This is exactly the set of strings to cover what I was after. Never tried this brand.

I dig String Dog Tone Rockets at 10 gauge on most of my electrics.

One of my strats I use DR Pure Nickel 10s.

My jazz box I use Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Swings at 12 gauge.

Finally, my acoustic dreadnaught sports Elixir Nanoweb 12s.

Hmmm...I may try these. I like my 9.5 D'Addarios on Fenders for the high string bends, but miss the thicker strings on the low end. This is exactly the set of strings to cover what I was after. Never tried this brand.
Keep in mind that I had to go the "Signature Set" route to get these. Just a bit more spendy than their standard sets (though I must admit the wrapper with my name on it does provide some value through ego stroking). :)

Prior to that, I was using GHS burnished nickels in the same gauge. Big City Strings would swap out the plain strings with whatever gauge GHS made at no additional cost.

I use D'Addario 10's when performing or recording. I use 11's on my practice guitar to keep my aging fingers in shape. I have been using the D'Addarios for many years. I buy them in bulk to save $$.

D'Addario 10-46 on my six strings.

I found them best for me after experimenting with EB Blue Steel, EB Super Slinky, & GHS strings.

I tried everything from 8 to 12 on the high E and settled on 10's as a compromise that allows me to change tunings without tweaking the truss rod, or shredding my fingers with cheese cutter thin strings, or eating through thin gauge strings with my acidic fingers.

For bass guitar, I settled on D'Addario Half Rounds 105 thru 50. I found Round Wounds beat the crap out of my frets needlessly and I found Flat Wounds extremely dead for my taste.

Dunlop Nickle wound--
For my Gibson’s 10-46
For my Fender’s & Ibanez’s 9-42

Elixir Nano-web—
For my Taylor 13-56
For my Takamine 12-53

John

Tried Thomastik strings once, stupid me, could never get back to any other brand after that. Never thought strings could mean this much. They're like twice as expensive as d'Addario or Ernie Balls, so it probably was a bad idea. :) But it's too late to change anything.

Anyway, using their Power Brights Regular Bottom 10-45 for standard tuning, Heavy Bottom 10-50 for Drop D. For the seven string, it's trickier since Thomastik doesn't make 7-string sets, so I use their 11-53 and an additional 9.

Ive used D'Addario since the day i started playing. Ive usually just gone with 10's but I had used the 10/11's hybrid set for drop C.

Currently im going back and forth with the NYXL's vs the standard XL's to see if they are really worth 3x the cost. Its not looking to be honestly.

Back
Top Bottom