What's your opinion for paying me a little bit for a patch you love to have it !

Tex Axe, that was one hell of a story. :)

I'm not sure I got the idea about the db meter though - Ok, I can get the band volume levels during rehearsal, but what should I do with them at home? Could you elaborate on that a little more?

Also, it's not so much a volume problem that I have, it's more about gain and EQ settings.

Alex EShadow, it was mentioned a few times in this thread - cabs are cabs, they sound the same everywhere. You may like a specific IR or not, it may fit your amp of choice or not, sure, but cabs transparently transfer from one rig to another.

It's different for presets - their sound depends dramatically in your guitar, your technique, and a ton of other things.
It doesn't mean presets cannot be sold of course, but there's much less treason to buy them because you'll still need to tweak them.

That's the idea.

I'm curious as to why we seem to deem Impulse Responses as legitimate sellable products, but not presets.

Cabs were also free once, Cliff shared them liberally as he found them and there were (are) tons of free ones around. Sure, putting a mic in front of a cab and running a test tone is work, but so is tweaking, so why is one more valuable than the other?

This is an honest question and in no way should be taken as criticism against those who don't want to pay for presets, just pure anthropological curiosity.

You think he just found those cab ir's lying around in a field somewhere? He shot them himself with his team or got licensing agreements to redistribute them with those that did.

Hey guys I much appreciated for your comments about my sound clips so far, bud honestly as you may be know I've shared over 20 patches on Axe-Change.com which has been downloaded over 6500 times, you know I'm a picky about making patches and spend lots of time for doing that, for instance I spent almost 6 hours for making for the following tone !,
I'm considering about putting my sound clips like always here, in case you love that, and also you're interested in having my patches, you charge me 0.99 cents, I would love to have your opinion as well whether or not you're agree with me to do that ?

this is my latest sound clip:

Thank you !

To be perfectly honest I would donate or pay for a top notch preset without hesitation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The sale of IR's has been going on longer than the AxeFXII has been around, it was just usually for software only and it usually covered stuff like rooms and crap for reverb effects. The big difference between an IR and a preset is that one involves equipment; typically a cab or several, multiple microphones, fairly neutral amp and perhaps some kind of console and a studio space depending on what you are doing. Basically there is extra cost involved, but the biggest thing is that the end user simply cannot accomplish this without that equipment. On the other hand the end user physically has everything that he needs to create his own preset.

So we're basically talking about trying to determine if there is a market for charging for time and talent required to make a patch. I would usually say no, because I just like to make my own patches and I'm not looking to copy anyone's exact tone anyway. But I will admit that I bought the TAF Bundle recently which has a ton of presets. The difference there is that it wasn't one or two presets, but hundreds (I think), but more importantly it had IR's included. The presets were created to match the IR's which is great, but the selling point was the IR's for me. On the other hand it cost a hell of a lot more than $.99 to get the entire package. :)

I don't know. I mean time and talent obviously have value. I think that what Tyler (Gamedojo) does is probably the best model right now where he asks for donations. I've donated to him and I'm sure that many others have. Has he gotten money for every preset that has been downloaded? I highly doubt it, but something is better than nothing and I know for a fact that most of us aren't going to go through the bother of sending a donation and it only be $.99.

I do think that there is a market for it, but you're going to have to come up with a business model of some kind. If you did one off, user requests you're talking about hours of work for like $.99. That's not a very good business model. You may want to consider doing bundles/libraries and sell them as a pack. You could even break them out into genres or something. That would probably be worth undertaking and you could charge considerably more for a pack. Or you could do one off presets, post them on a site you hosted yourself and either sell them or ask for donations.

Back
Top Bottom