What's your opinion for paying me a little bit for a patch you love to have it !

There are people in the forum that gave us awesome sounds and effects(for free)..honestly I don't believe that this sound worth something.....sorry

tumblr_n9o118bgcF1tib3vqo1_400.gif

Brother, I would suggest putting up a donation box at your site or blog. You may just make some serious cash.

On a per preset basis I wont pay, but would be giving to one who shares with all for free.

If it sounded as good then I would pay, but they never do. I guess its very specific to your guitar, levels, etc.

I'm still trying to work out how to tweak really good sounding patches so they sound anywhere near as good through my axe!

I'm not inclined to depend on the work of others to get my tones, but I have downloaded patches in the past out of interest in their design. I currently don't use any patches designed by others on a regular basis (although many of patches started as factory presets that I modified). Still, I don't blame someone for trying to get compensation for hard work. The only scenario that I can see myself paying money would be artist patches (Lifeson, etc.), but even then it's a crapshoot as to whether you could actually faithfully reproduce their tone.

Personally, I don't understand why someone would purchase a device like the Axe Fx and not "want" to spend time creating their own custom patches?

I guess I may be different because I grew up on the old digitech rackmount gear of the eighties so I have been programming presets from very early on.

I "never" download presets because other people don't have my poweramp, speakers, guitars, style of playing etc.

I do understand purchasing IR's though because those are just another "tool" to help you sculpt your own sound....

Just my .02 but I personally would not pay a penny for patches created by someone else...

"Where should i set my mid knob?"

"I'll tell you for a dollar!"

Thats freaking rediculous, screw that bulls**t

Pfftt

I think it's not a good idea. It will give you more headaches than anything else.

The customer who buy your preset and after loading it up in his rig notices that it don't sound even close to what he heard from a sound sample will want a refund.
The customer who bought your preset and 3 months later doesn't sound as it should because of firmware changes, will want you to update the preset to sound "right" after the firmware change.
If your preset has a comercial IR, your customer would have to have bought that IR before purchase your preset since you cannot share comercial IR's. Even knowing that, you'll find someone that bought your preset and didn't knew that the IR is not embedded with the preset and cannot figure out why there is no sound, etc... Even if you advertise that before hand, he will try to get a refund.

I think sharing presets is good way to be in the "ballpark" of the tone you heard in the sound sample and tweak it to get your own tone.

Effect blocks are the only stuff that translates well between rigs.

Personally, I don't understand why someone would purchase a device like the Axe Fx and not "want" to spend time creating their own custom patches?

Well, some people buy it to, you know, play through it. The less time I spend tweaking it, the more time I spend playing guitar and, ahem, generally living.

No offense to anyone trying to make a buck in life. I think the more bang for the buck is to teach a man to fish. Kind of like what Chris and cooper carter are doing. I can guarantee they are not getting rich by doing this. I honestly don't know how they do it to be honest. I guess that's the advantage of being young and not having kids to feed.

selling presets bad idea, selling knowledge on how to obtain preset awesome idea.

And for the record, I mean no disrespect.

I spent a weekend making led Zeppelin patches here for someone it was fun his response was He wanted Jimmy page Live sound
and I had just provided most of the studio stuff.. I did work on the live stuff as well but never heard back..

I looked at it as a learning experience and got some zeppelin sounds I liked.

I loaded 128 patches on bank c and every time the firmware gets updated they all change.
Thats hundreds of hours to correct.

I got to 20 and thought ok Ill catch up now and hold at 20 and Quantum is released.

Do I think its worth paying someone for hours of work to help you make a patch ?
Yes

I also agree on teaching a man to fish cause thats exactly how I learned.
I dont know shit lets get that straight compared to Yek or the others round here but
the person that showed me how to use this taught me how to make my own patches up
test bed them dial them in just right save them move them where I want then go back
and move on to the next patch.

The continuos motion of doing that helped me learn but at the same time I got burned out
trying to catch up to firm ware updates and fixing 128 different amps and patches.

128 times 5 scenes each patch is 640 areas to check every time there is a firm ware update.
I since 12.4 ive been doing that and now we are at quantum beta and im still catching up from 19.4

I find it helpful to save folders with screen caps as you go and then back it all up internally and back it to fractal bot
then worry about FW updates.

I would say in my case the person that offered to pay me had no time to do that he works 8-5 and he wanted to be able to load that up and
play and be able to gig with it.. So the 20 dollars I got paid for working all weekend must have been worth it too him...

I looked at it as practice and learning the system better..
Right now Im still not finished fixing all 128 amps and I thought 20 would settle.

Im now going to wait for Quantum to settle then slowly catch up on the 128 amps
Its too much to try to do before a gig ..
I have to force myself to do it and im at 20 or 20.1 and dreading 128 amps.
or 640 scenes I must go through to make sure they have not been changed with FW updates.

I do not even have time to make patches for anyone cant even finish my own and
im not getting paid nor gigging in a band so its just a labor of love for me..

I guess im just a Sado for tone.
I was doing that from the front panel till axe edit got ironed out.
So im going to wait for those things to be fixed first and its all settled.

I cant imagine how many hours Simeon or Yek have spent not to mention others here.
They are 10 fathoms above my head so they have the patience of saints..

One thing thats hard to do is figure out what tone is in someones head and since you dont have the same guitars
thats another reason to know what it is they are after and what they play...

Now the guy said he wanted more of the Jimmy page live sound then studio sound..
I sent both but to me that was a compliment as he could have said I dont recognize
any of these settings what are you doing ? are you out of tune either you know your out of tune or
YOU ARE PURPOSELY TRYING TO FUCK MY ENSEMBLE UP... GET OFF MY BANDSTAND..
Thankfully he at least could tell oh these are right off the masters vs WTF ?
I never heard back but I know he gigged some of those settings as he mentioned he was going too play that weekend.

He could be sticking pins into a doll somewhere right now I dont know but I think what I sent was about as close as I could get.

I'll give Simeon a few shillings for the unbelievable contribution he's made to this as a donation and as a thank you for the full body of his vast efforts, of my own free will. But I wouldn't have parted with one thin dime if that was the expectation beforehand.

If you have a legit business then good luck to you, but smashing together a preset and expecting a buck for what may turn out to be crap is pushing the limits of what this community is about.
What's your return policy?
Do you have a EULA in place?
Are you aware that you are charging money creating a product using the intellectual property of Fractal Audio Systems (and ML Sound Labs possibly)? Got a licensing agreement in place? Got a strong legal team?
Stick to playing guitar and being a community member instead of trying to make money off your peers. You're not ready for the liability.

Like any business you need up front costs. Build a website and try to sell your patches. If there is a market for your patches great-make money. If not there is no market. I personally would never pay for it ever. Good luck

I bought the axe fx II knowing I could match about any sound I wanted.

I matched every plexi I owned every fender blackface amp ive owned tweed included
and I took voltages on those amps and made voltage charts for each.
I did the same for the Original Dumble I purchased as well the Clones
HPD 150 SSS and 3 other Dumble circuits which are NOT included in the axe fx II.

While I was being taught how to use the axe I mentioned wanting to release a bundle of the amps
I owned specifically the Dumble and Clones..
I own an ODSR which has current Dumble Reverb it was voiced in the past 10 years by Dumble himself
and when this ODSR was built that information came to light and was put in that amp.

I was trying to buy the Purple ODSR but could not swing that and I explained I had one coming it had been built
to specs and I was waiting on it and he said yea and the guy put my reverb in your amp..
I said how do you know that ?
He then told me he had sent the information too the man building them
to make one for him as well and mine was the first one with that improved reverb.

He has several Dumbles including the Purple suede one that Combo cab belonged to Bonnie Raitt
She got it from Dumble directly but it was heavy to lug and it went to this person and he put the ODSR in it.

I had two of those 183 amps here one belonged to another person and he helped me dial that amp in
further while staying here at my home in Texas.

He said my amp sounded better reverb wise hands down it made that circuit better.
While this person was staying in my home we discovered a person in Houston with a mother load of parts
and I cleaned the guy out..

We loaded those parts into our ODSRS making them more accurate value and part wise
and I had a phonic built here 3 years before I bought a real Dumble Phonic.
Every part in the phonic we built here is Dumble value and even down to the maker.
The glass we used in the amps is vintage as well.

So we had an el34 phonic built here with efx loop 3 years before I ever saw a real one
in person the efx loop was my idea and we of course took slack for that then
now the same people who threw shit at us are putting loops in their clones.

During this time I purchased a HPD 150 SSS amp under the guise it was 1:1
to Eric Johnsons SSS.
Having grown up in Austin knowing Eric since 1978 and living there since 1980 for 24 years
I had been there when the original Dumble SSS was on the bench for repair and happened to see inside it
even touching the epoxy on the boards covering the secret sauce...

The amp had caught fire from the output transformer burning up.
no worky anymore and Rays techs could not fix it so the amp was sold back
to the original owner and sent back to Dumble to be repaired.

When it came back through it did not sound the same because the boards
were replaced and the transformer and it was therefore no longer voiced for Eric
I spoke with the maker of the amp and found out that he repaired it and
made the clone amp while repairing it when I asked him how did you get the epoxy out
he said there was none in the amp..
When he said that I said thats odd because it was all through that amp when I was standing over it.
I knew right then the amp could not be 1:1. Certainly not to Ejs original as it caught fire..

So I sold that amp after recording it and matching it up inside my axe fx
I sculpted several amps from that amp using knowledge id gained along the trail
researching the Dumble amps..

Since there is not a 150 watt SSS amp in the axe I made my own
also knowing Srvs #7 was 300-400 watts output not 150 and it had a cathode follower tube
and was set for high headroom no break up, I made my own up
using something close inside the axe and I came up with my own SRV #7
I made the Ej #5 and even made that amp sound better inside the axe.

I was able to record and duplicate the phonic,
the odsr with improved reverb
and voiced within the last 10 years by Dumble
The SSS 150 and I figured a #7 for the Srv amp.
I had 3 other clones here with different circuits and
I was able to duplicate those and match that sound..

The Dumble which I do own has a clean channel that rivaled the SSS only 50 watts.
The lead side sounds like the Trainwreck straight in no pedals..

But the clean part of Trainwreck was not as great as the Dumble phonic
to my ears so I think the magic of the Phonic amp is you get both..
Dumble clean and Roaring Dumble lead straight in.

Trainwreck is more controlled at your volume on guitar..

Now I kicked the idea of making a bundle of all those amps
and offerering it for 99 bucks but I should just stick to playing guitar and not
trying to make money off my peers..

When I mentioned doing this the person teaching me how to run this system
said oh you might get one or two buying it then they will just spread it all around
and share the settings and you wont sell anything then..

So I never considered doing that again...

Im trying to stick to being a better player and not making money of any of my peers..
Although I think im the only one here aside from Cliff that actually does own a Dumble
which is likely the reason we dont see the phonic or the SSS or the ODSR with the recent voicing or reverb
or something like the mega plx because no one owns one or knows how to chart one..

But what would I know...

Teach a man to fish. Yeah, that's valuable. But separation of labor is also a valuable thing in modern society, where people who know how to do something well do it, while others pay them for it and thus get the services and/or products in the most efficient manner.

I work 60+ hours a week, have a family with two kids, and while I do play with a band at clubs where tickets are sold, we certainly spend more than we make. So it's all just fun. Tweaking my rig is also fun, but there's a limit on how much time I can spend on it. When I come home at 10-11pm, I need to spend time with my wife. On weekends, I practice with my band, and it's also not such a great time to start setting up sounds. The rest of the weekend I spend with my kids - they need to know who their father is.

Of course there are nights, but then there's a problem - I can't really turn up volume at nights.

So when and where am I supposed to set up my presets? I only have short windows of time when I'm alone at home and it's not like 2am and I'm sure my neighbors won't call the police.

When I got my Axe, it took me a few hours to dial in the core 3-4 presets that I use, that wasn't too difficult. Some other presets, for specific sounds, took a bit longer. That wasn't too difficult. But then comes the hard part - adjusting these presets for live sound. I'm not really happy with what I have. Yeah, I know about mid boost and all that, but knowing that and applying it with good results are very different things. For the latter you need experience and ability to listen to what you get at high volume. Otherwise it just takes forever - I go to a rehearsal, make mental notes of what needs to be adjusted, come home, wait for appropriate time, adjust, go to a rehearsal, you get the idea.

That said, preset and cab packs don't help much. They just make tweaking an endless process in pursuit of perfection. Which is a fine way to spend time in and of itself, but certainly not what I need. Axechange has been extremely helpful and useful for me - I did download some presets from there. But I don't use them as is - I changed them quite dramatically for my purposes. As many people pointed out, it's next to impossible to make a preset that suits everyone. So would I pay for a pre-fabricated preset? No. For a service to help me set up what I need? Easily.

Teach a man to fish. Yeah, that's valuable. But separation of labor is also a valuable thing in modern society, where people who know how to do something well do it, while others pay them for it and thus get the services and/or products in the most efficient manner.

I work 60+ hours a week, have a family with two kids, and while I do play with a band at clubs where tickets are sold, we certainly spend more than we make. So it's all just fun. Tweaking my rig is also fun, but there's a limit on how much time I can spend on it. When I come home at 10-11pm, I need to spend time with my wife. On weekends, I practice with my band, and it's also not such a great time to start setting up sounds. The rest of the weekend I spend with my kids - they need to know who their father is.

Of course there are nights, but then there's a problem - I can't really turn up volume at nights.

So when and where am I supposed to set up my presets? I only have short windows of time when I'm alone at home and it's not like 2am and I'm sure my neighbors won't call the police.

When I got my Axe, it took me a few hours to dial in the core 3-4 presets that I use, that wasn't too difficult. Some other presets, for specific sounds, took a bit longer. That wasn't too difficult. But then comes the hard part - adjusting these presets for live sound. I'm not really happy with what I have. Yeah, I know about mid boost and all that, but knowing that and applying it with good results are very different things. For the latter you need experience and ability to listen to what you get at high volume. Otherwise it just takes forever - I go to a rehearsal, make mental notes of what needs to be adjusted, come home, wait for appropriate time, adjust, go to a rehearsal, you get the idea.

That said, preset and cab packs don't help much. They just make tweaking an endless process in pursuit of perfection. Which is a fine way to spend time in and of itself, but certainly not what I need. Axechange has been extremely helpful and useful for me - I did download some presets from there. But I don't use them as is - I changed them quite dramatically for my purposes. As many people pointed out, it's next to impossible to make a preset that suits everyone. So would I pay for a pre-fabricated preset? No. For a service to help me set up what I need? Easily.

I suggest buying a db meter

Then recording your band
check dynamics using the Db Meter
then you can know ok at our loudest peak
its 120db.. and when we are at lowest volume
its 80 db you could at least know about what the extremes are.

Then you might be able to work on free time and use meter with your system
measure and start setting things up where its in that range.

I paid someone to show me that..
Id pay him again to teach me something else enjoyed the persons wit and company and I learned
volumes from that.

You can measure your own volumes then even at practice or before or after say
where you can get loud and adjust things might need laptop with you or
to know the front panel settings to do that..

I want a laptop just for reaper and logic and fractal
axe edit ect...

Designated for that so on the fly I could do the same.
I wanted to rent a theater here in local area for the day
and bring in a drummer and bassist and even invite
some local pros to come check the axe out..

It costs money I found out people like to eat and be paid
imagine that.

The goal was to see how the axe worked in the theater with full pa and band
and have them go through dynamics so I could set the axe too realistic volumes.

Good point vangrieg what about in a live situation ?

Radio Shack had the Db meters cheap..
I take advice and direction especially if someone has taken time to help me
achieve what is important to making me happy..

Sound glorious fucking sound that makes my hairs raise up.

Thats what im about..
I want to know how to get those sounds in my head..

Soon as I learned how to control the axe and speak the lingo some
one after the other I sleighed those dragons.

Before that I was building two amps by hand to
specs from my personal Dumble..

Its not a walk in the park its expensive and just because you can find the same parts values ect
does not mean you can just make one up and it will sound right.
Tuning them is another animal to learn.. I still have not got those to sound right..

Instead of getting bummed though I just matched every one of them in my own axe fx
and even surpassed them finding other sounds within that patch that made even other patches
entirely.. spawning better amps within the axe.

My teacher created a Tone Monster..
I will get it one way or the other.

The amp which was gooped up I just recorded it from every filter setting possible
and matched it by ear you can take voltage measurements but if things are gooped
you really cant get at everything needed to do so.

My Original Dumble is not gooped.
Hello

So am I going to Prison for building two more of those by hand ?
and replacing the caps in the original to bring it back to full power ??

What if I just made them for me cause I think I can ?

You know what I contacted Dumble myself asked him if he would
look at redoing the caps and inquired if I sent my 66 showman out
and 6 thousand dollars in Cash inside it overnight would he make me a
ultra phonic ?

He informed me he worked for front line players only
and that there simply was not time to make anything for me
and he could not be of help..

I replaced the caps myself.. I took the voltages before doing so charted the amp
Then replaced the caps and when I purchased the amp it came with selected tubes in boxes
marked by Dumble.. When I redid the caps I installed a better tube and charted it with full power..

I then recorded the Dumble and matched it using a Trainwreck inside the axe.

Thats what ive been sticking too..

Got it now ?

3 different circuits before the ORIGINAL Dumble was purchased.
No one but me has been inside the original Dumble.

The other 3 circuits were different voicing and tube compliment.
6l6 and el 34..

no sense matching unless things are firing on all cylinders..
every amp I matched or recorded was the best it could sound while I was doing it.

The Plexi and fenders are not gooped of course the only amp I owned was the bludo
high plains drifter I dont think the ODS amps are gooped only HPD.

I already knew that amp had been completely repaired before Brandon cloned it
so what did he clone ?

A SSS which had caught fire before and had all the boards and transformer replaced.

No bother about goop knowing that..
Record it through every possible filter setting and select the favorite sound
record that alot and you now have a good reference.

On all the other amps I bought used, I did charts on them to know what voltages were
when they were sounding best.

Thats so when the tubes go you can go back and try to match that..

I record when the amps are sounding the best also
after I make patch up I record that patch and make note
of what FW it is..

Back it up record it dry so I have that reference also..
The only reason im stating this is anyone can do the same thing im doing..
With the amps they own and axe sounds too.

Its like leaving crumbs so you can find your way back if you get lost
or FW is updated you can have a reference..

I'm curious as to why we seem to deem Impulse Responses as legitimate sellable products, but not presets.

Cabs were also free once, Cliff shared them liberally as he found them and there were (are) tons of free ones around. Sure, putting a mic in front of a cab and running a test tone is work, but so is tweaking, so why is one more valuable than the other?

This is an honest question and in no way should be taken as criticism against those who don't want to pay for presets, just pure anthropological curiosity.

Back
Top Bottom