What's your fx chain like?

sundance_kiddsg

Experienced
just curious to see if you guys have a standard signal chain you tend to base your patches on.
now that axe edit is back in business, was wondering if you guys care to display your grid layout for others (and i) to draw inspiration from.
mine's pretty basic run of the mill stuff, the only variations being the amp and cab blocks.
StandardChain_zps2cffba1c.jpg

130829 Axe-FX II FX-chain.jpg

130829%20Axe-FX%20II%20FX-chain.jpg

AMP2 acts as a drive block (sag=0).
FILTER at the end gives me a 3dB boost which is only send to the FOH. FXloop is the signal I get into my CLR

Last edited:
Scott, you run your wah and tremolo in parallel? How very interesting. I never considered what that might sound like...

Neither would I have, except I had to try it for a client and really liked how it works. I'll be doing a detailed breakdown on what/how/why in the coming weeks. It is very interesting. Yesterday I changed all my presets to work with the delay in series for the first time since 2007. Fascinating stuff. Fun!

Neither would I have, except I had to try it for a client and really liked how it works. I'll be doing a detailed breakdown on what/how/why in the coming weeks. It is very interesting. Yesterday I changed all my presets to work with the delay in series for the first time since 2007. Fascinating stuff. Fun!

I'm going to have to try it. I absolutely love that you can do all kinds of non-traditional stuff with this magic box!

Notice how Yek has his effects inside the Amp and Cab blocks? But Scott is using his effects after the cab. Interesting...

Scott's tone is "direct" (straight to FOH and FR monitor).

Mine is too (OUT1), but OUT2 is going to a power amp and guitar cabinet. This means I have to put the Cab block at the end.
For the direct tone it really makes no difference, tonewise.

Eye opening stuff. Looking forward to your "manual" on the whats/wherefores of the chain, Scott.

This might be a good thread to ask this.
I have a hi-gain rhythm tone (Amp X) in scene 1 and Clean tone (Amp Y)with delay and reverb in scene 2. Now, i would like to put the delay and reverb in parallel, but the sound gets reeally loud obviously. I've tried to lower the gain 6db in delay and reverb blocks, but then the rhythm scene 1 stays loud. I also tried to put vol/pan block before the delay and reverb, but it doesn't sound right with that setup. Any good advice how to make my patch work.

These two chains won't be a surprise since they are largely based on what I've learned from forum and wiki. For example, reverb, delay and chorus are generally in parallel with the main signal. Any patch where I need an acoustic simulation has mag and piezo pickups panned hard left and hard right at input, processed separately, then merged towards the end. Switching is done from the floor, rather than the guitar, leaving my hands free to play. Thanks to Chris in Hawaii for this idea. On most other patches I run two amps, one rhythm and the other lead. Sometimes they share a cab, sometimes not.

Attachments

• FX chain 1.jpg
    FX chain 1.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 133
  • FX chain 2.jpg
    FX chain 2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 104
This is a good topic! I like Real World Pictorial example of what's going on. I don't know JACK right now, I know that an effects chain is the chain of effects, but I haven't had time to figure out all the ways to run the effects correctly, or ideally. I see all the squiggly lines connecting different FX to one another, it's really cool they way AE3 has it displayed.

I would also like anyone to explain some basics? Like, when you set up an FX Chain you want to make sure X if before Y, or if you do this, it will make your output sound like this. etc. I know my question is vauge, but once I see these pics, I can go and COPY them to HEAR what the changes that happen are based on various FZX chain settings.

Last edited:
Great topic-I Like the visual side also. Post the syx. file so we can see and listen without having to connect the dots.
Thanks

thanks for sharing, guys.
this was exactly what i had hoped to see, just a visual shot of signal paths, leaving me to go "i wonder what he was trying to do with that?"
i do recall some time ago i'd seen somebody's layout with lines crisscrossing all over the place.. hoping it will pop up!
i crave to be awed!:lol
any more to share?

This is a good topic! I like Real World Pictorial example of what's going on. I don't know JACK right now, I know that an effects chain is the chain of effects, but I haven't had time to figure out all the ways to run the effects correctly, or ideally. I see all the squiggly lines connecting different FX to one another, it's really cool they way AE3 has it displayed.

I would also like anyone to explain some basics? Like, when you set up an FX Chain you want to make sure X if before Y, or if you do this, it will make your output sound like this. etc. I know my question is vauge, but once I see these pics, I can go and COPY them to HEAR what the changes that happen are based on various FZX chain settings.

There are no rules, but things that work:

compressor, wah first (but after the amp these gives you also a very nice fx)

delay, reverb, multidelay after the amp in parallel

volume before the amp gives you a control over drive/distortion. after the amp it controls volume/gain.

other fx like phaser, flanger, ... are free to place, but will give your other sounds when placed before than after the amp block

cab after the amp but it doesn't have to be directly after the amp

looper mostly at the end of the chain, since you want to record everything

again, there are no rules, use your ears.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom