What's Your Favorite Songs From The 60's?

I kid you not, I have been planning on putting this in my set list! I currently am doing "Monster Mash" and intend on adding your 60's fav song as well as "King Tut" by Steve Martin (which of course is NOT 60's)!! I love these types of songs and I think people do as well!!!

That said, the lyrics that have existed in my head do not 100% match the lyrics I am reading on line (at least in part) ;~(( I have CLEARLY in my head from decades ago:

They're coming to take me away
Hee he ha ha ho ho
To the funny farm
Where life is happy and funny and gay
They're coming to take me away

Now I do not recall having heard this song in at least 30+ years, but that is the way it is supposed to sound (at least a part of it)! Thanks for kindling that memory!!

Last edited:
Born to be wild - Obviously!

In the 80's, my room mate and I would have what we called "Easy Rider Festivals". We would play that movie ALL NIGHT LONG, with an occasional "Clockwork Orange" thrown in here and there just to "break it up a bit"!! While "Easy Rider" was playing we would smoke when they smoked, drank when they drank, dropped acid when they dropped acid (first time through the movie only on that one) and had a GREAT TIME doing so!!! One of the best film soundtracks ever ESPECIALLY if you know the movie and it's message!!!

Is it safe?

In the 80's, my room mate and I would have what we called "Easy Rider Festivals". We would play that movie ALL NIGHT LONG, with an occasional "Clockwork Orange" thrown in here and there just to "break it up a bit"!! While "Easy Rider" was playing we would smoke when they smoked, drank when they drank, dropped acid when they dropped acid (first time through the movie only on that one) and had a GREAT TIME doing so!!! One of the best film soundtracks ever ESPECIALLY if you know the movie and it's message!!!

I’m going to leave out the Beatles as they are my favorite band and I could pretty much almost every song (not you Revolution 9!).

Certain songs evoke “the 60s” for me:
Time of the Season by the Zombies
California Dreaming by the Mamas and Papas
White Rabbit by Jefferson Airplane
Piece of My Heart by Janis Joplin
Purple Haze by Jimi Hendrix

Those are the songs that would be in any 60’s documentary. Imagine a narrator intoning “1967, the summer of love” and then one of those songs bursts on with a montage of hippies.

Then there’s Motown. Any Supremes hit says 1960s to me. Such tightly crafted gems of melody and groove.

I’m not a big Stones fan, but Gimme Shelter is my favorite song of theirs and evokes a dark, foreboding side of the 1960s.

Led Zeppelin’a first two albums are technically in the 1960s but I I have their songs in my 70’s playlists. Something different going on there. I humbly submit that What Is And What Should Never Be, Heartbreaker, and Ramble On are maybe the best rock songs ever.

Back
Top Bottom