What's your favorite Q4.00 clean model

Works really well with the Marshall 4x12 TV Mix -- all of these clips use the Band Commander + TV Mix combo:

(Check out the second half of that clip above for some Zappa that works well with the combo -- preset is here)

Yep just tried the Bassman with that cab combo and like it a lot. Thanks iaresee.

Anybody mixing clean amps, and which?
You know, I generally don't do 2 amps for clean stereo fun. I just do a stereo cab block with different IRs. I prefer the simplicity of that approach -- I only have to adjust one set of TMBG controls! Also translates nicely to my AX8 that way. :)

You know, I generally don't do 2 amps for clean stereo fun. I just do a stereo cab block with different IRs. I prefer the simplicity of that approach -- I only have to adjust one set of TMBG controls! Also translates nicely to my AX8 that way. :)
That sound very interesting, and a thing I'd like to try. Still pretty new on the axe fx2, and still has a lot to learn especially on IR. I understand that IR is as important as amp block.
Could you give an example of a stereo cab block, how you set it up and what IRs you would choose?

That sound very interesting, and a thing I'd like to try. Still pretty new on the axe fx2, and still has a lot to learn especially on IR. I understand that IR is as important as amp block.
Could you give an example of a stereo cab block, how you set it up and what IRs you would choose?
Not too hard to do. Grab a CAB block. Set it to stereo mode and pick to IRs that aren't like each other! Pan them a little left and right. Done.

Like so:

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 4.29.20 PM.png
You can go hard left and right if you want, but I find extremes rarely work well live.

If you use that with a stereo delay where one side is phase inverted it sounds huuuuuuuuuuuge. Try something like this:

Screen Shot 2016-09-10 at 4.30.10 PM.png

I've attached the preset if you want to play around with it. You can use FracTool to convert it to the AFII (I'm doing AX8 testing all weekend so it's all AX8 all the time for me right now). Toggle scenes 1 and 2 to switch between panned/un-panned versions of the same CAB block setup.

Attachments

• Stereo Cab Example.syx
    12.6 KB · Views: 20
Not too hard to do. Grab a CAB block. Set it to stereo mode and pick to IRs that aren't like each other! Pan them a little left and right. Done.

Like so:

View attachment 34936
You can go hard left and right if you want, but I find extremes rarely work well live.

If you use that with a stereo delay where one side is phase inverted it sounds huuuuuuuuuuuge. Try something like this:

View attachment 34937

I've attached the preset if you want to play around with it. You can use FracTool to convert it to the AFII (I'm doing AX8 testing all weekend so it's all AX8 all the time for me right now). Toggle scenes 1 and 2 to switch between panned/un-panned versions of the same CAB block setup.

This is so nice. Thanks a lot.

A reply like this, beside the HW/SW, is what makes the FAS a fantastic tool. I couldn't have had that kind of help in the pedal/amp/cab world.

The Fuchs, Two Rock and the Lonestar all have great cleans. Just pair one of those (or two) with some V30's & whatever effects ya fancy & ya got yourself some nice beefy thick & solid cleans.

Can't be that everyone is using a power amp and gtr cab in this thread because no one has mentioned what cab blocks/ir's they are using. If the question was about clean amp with no breakup then ok, but what about the net effect of the cab block selection on the "cleanliness" of the sound.

If you use that with a stereo delay where one side is phase inverted it sounds AX8 testing all weeall the time for me right now). Toggle scenes 1 and 2 to switch between panned/un-panned versions of the same CAB block setup.[/QUOTE]

Like so:

View attachment 34936

View attachment 34937

thanks Ian, the phase invert thing on the stereo delay is a new tip for me, and it's awesome !

Hipower (Hiwatt) for me. Glorious cleans with piano-like quality...especially on the lower strings. The bass frequencies are very firm.

So i started with Suhr Badger 18/30 as my favorite clean amps, but since I last thought about this question, I've found so many other great amps that produce amazing cleans.

My number one choice (right now) is the ODS-100 Clean. I heard somewhere that Stevie Ray Vaughan used a Dumble for cleans at various points in his career and while attempting to get his tones with the ODS-100, I found a great sounding clean amp. Takes effects really well i think.

Other honorable mentions are: Suhr Badger, 6G4 Super, USA Clean, Vibroverb and the Matchbox D-30

Can't be that everyone is using a power amp and gtr cab in this thread because no one has mentioned what cab blocks/ir's they are using. If the question was about clean amp with no breakup then ok, but what about the net effect of the cab block selection on the "cleanliness" of the sound.
I used to used the twin and Princeton stock ir's but nowadays I'm using the Zilla pack, usually the creamback m or alnico set

Good point! I am certainly not using a power amp and guitar cab.

The first thing I do when trying out new amps, is checking the wiki for the suggested cabs for that particular amplifier. I tool around with some "odd choices" as well.

My go-to cabs for clean tones are the 2x12 Fender cabs, specifically the 2x12 Doubleverb M160. Another great cab I'll often pick is the 1x12 Triptik Mix

One of my favorite clean amps is the HIPOWER BRILLNT. I'm surprised that no one has mentioned it yet.

stillll always was and will remain , the ca3+ for pristine cleans, has so much life to it, I love that amps clean channel.. almost shimmers when you set it just right, and I use a ownhammer g12m sp2 mix cab from the marshall-66 pack. I recently got the lynch expansion pack and im loving it too.. and the fractal suhr cab pack, the 65 speaker.. 57&121 mix, they all sound terrific.

I play lead on a worship team, well I did.. and it worked amazing for all the ambient stuff, rebervy, shimmery stuff. Just has a main frequency that cuts through better than any other amp I tried, and I went through them all. I was using the matchless for a while, but went back to the ca3+.

Also play prog rock, can't say i'm a fan of the rhythm or lead channels of the CA3+.. I'm a modded plexi kinda guy.. but i've been using the new dweezil amp, it's frickin amazing. I also like his blankenship, but it takes a bit to get it really screaming the way I need. But I digress, we are talking clean amps.

Back
Top Bottom