What's your favorite instructional guitar DVD?

I think many instructional videos/DVD's are interesting, in that they give you the chance to see one of your favorite artists play, up close, without any trickery. You get an idea of their personality as well. However, many of these don't actually teach you much!

Paul Gilbert: some useful exercises and wow, he can sure play fast and cleanly! But ... worth the money?

Eric Johnson: Again, great seeing him do what he does. but, did he teach much? And what's with reinventing the wheel? Come on Eric - positive string stretching? Oh, you mean bends??

BB King: expensive 3-VHS series that I haven't replaced with DVD... again, neat seeing BB play with the band, and he seems like a totally down-to-earth and humble guy. Did I learn a lot? Nope. I think the band tracks are worth more than the chatter.

John Petruci's Rock Discipline is an example of an instructional DVD packed with tips, exercises, and examples. I wish more were like this, regardless of genre.

Scott Henderson's videos also showed me a lot.

As someone else said, Frank Gambale's video on modes is excelent, especially if you're right at the point in your rock playing where you're tired of just using pentatonics.
His Chop-builder video is a useful collection of exercises as well, although I haven't been able to get through the whole thing.
and, his Speed picking video is great if you're looking to explore that style.

It's expensive, but John McLaughlin's 3-dvd set This is How I Do it has a lot to offer, and is really professionally presented.
And, if you are disapointed that he didn't cover rhythm and timing very much in this set, he did a whole DVD just on that:
The Gateway to Rhythm

It introduces you to Konokol, the North Indian tradition of learning and explaining rhythms vocally, without drums.

I also have John McLaughlin's 3 DVD set This is How I Do It and The Gateway to Rhythm. I think they are only OK IMHO. The Gateway to Rhythm could have been structured a bit better.

I have some Steve Morse one's which are great.

Robben Ford vids can really wet your appetite, I feel.
Eric Johnson vids, even if you're not after his style.

I've also enjoyed...
1) Lukather (Starlicks) for the opening solo alone and because he was my n° 1 rock hero back then
2) Larry Carlton vids, cause IMO it will always be impossible to play even tastier in that style and how he did it back then
3) Tuck Andress, for the failed opening joke and his demoing of stacking up part after part, while I would have difficulty just playing one of 'em (he starts with a bass line, adds harmony, then melody, then rhythm :eek: :oops: )

I remember Pat Martino vids, who is always amazing to watch.

In the last 20 years or so, I've only been tempted by Larry Carlton's more recent blues course from his site, cause I've heard he's still playing in perfect taste there, which for me he isn't generally doing nearly so well as in the era before his accident.

I'll wait for the Michael Landau 10 DVD set now... ;)

Back
Top Bottom