What's your favorite instructional guitar DVD?

multivir

Inspired
Hey there,

Probably I'm not the only guy on the forum that uses instructional DVDs to improve his guitar playing.

I have a bunch of them, currently working on the "1on1" series from Lincoln Brewster and Scotty Anderson's "Red Hot Guitar". My all time favorite is Tommy Emmanuel's "Up Close". I learned a lot from that. Number two on my hit list is Victor Wooten's "Groove Workshop".

What's your favorite instructional DVD? - It might help me to get better too... ;-)

Cheers,

Mat

Good idea. Back in the 80's I spent a lot of time with Paul Gilbert's instructional videos. Nothing super complex from a theory standpoint but definitely helps honing chops.

I found Frank Gambale's video on "modes" to be extremely helpful. He does a great job in explaining the different modes or moods as he called them.

For anyone starting out i don't think there is a better guitar teacher online than Justin Sandercoe (justinguitar.com)
Free lessons, (donate if you can afford it) no obligations and the nicest most genuine guy you could meet!! millions of hits on his you tube videos!!

I have every instructional DVD (&VHS) ever created (for my lesson studio library). First off, I was VERY disappointed in the Lincoln Brewster DVD's.
Now,
The first 3 Paul gilberts, Yngwie REH-Play Loud I-II-II + SHRED, Joey Tafolla(REH), John Petrucci Rock Discipline and Zack Wylde's Pentatonic Hardcore (Young Guitar) are the Guitar Dojo studio library favorites. If you have the attention span of a cat, I recommend John Petrucci's Rock Discipline in small chunks each day!

My .02 :D

Ohhh. I forgot one more, I really like Michael Romeo's YoungGuitar video (The Guitar Chapter). EXCELLENT!

P.S All my recommendations are for the advanced players! :p

There's a Shawn Lane one that's bad-ass!!! I watched it on video.google.com a couple years ago. Might still be there.
Other than that, the Eric Johnson 2 vids are real good.

Take a look to these Scott Henderson's:

- Melodic Phrasing
- Jazz improvisation

They changed my approach to music

+1

Also, Don Mock "From Blues to Rock"

Brett Garsed, Shawn lane.....
.......................and Greg Howe!!!!

Someone just recommended justinguitar to me, so mark_melling may be on to something. I would refer almost anyone, beginner to advanced, to Bill Edwards and his books/DVDs "Fretboard Logic". He explains the CAGED system, chords, scales, arpeggios, in a truly understandable and simple way. He teaches music but in a guitar sense, things fall into place. Get the special edition of vols. I & II combined, even if you use it just for reference, $20. The DVD is more of an illustration of the book than a stand-alone, but it, too, is well worth it.

I've learned a lot from the Lick Library stuff, but it's mostly rock oriented. I like the way that they put all of the licks in a song context.

Will Ray from the Hellecasters. He has unique style incorporating slide and b string bending. He is also funny as hell. The early EJ hotlicks vid is great. Gambales modes video is good. The guitar player from TT Quick, Dave Dipietro had a vid called scale combining which I thought was great. He is one of the unsung greats along with Kenny from Edgar Cayce group and Prophet. I think only folks in the NY/NJ metro area would know them though. Too bad.

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I already have the mentioned "Groove Workshop".
I like it a lot because it makes you better instantly, without practicing scales, muscles or impossible finger twisters.

This leads me to another question:
Do you all play as fast as the guys in the videos? Although I've been practicing with the metronome more in the last few months, I just don't seem to get past Keith Richard's or B.B. King's speed.

I can't keep up with any of these guys like Gambale, Malmsteen or Lincoln Brewster.
To me it looks like there's some kind of a barrier which I haven't found a way to break it yet.
Has anybody mastered the step from "average blues jam guitarist" to "high speed"? Any hints other than "use a metronome"?

Thanks

Mat

multivir said:
Any hints other than "use a metronome"?

Never play anything faster than you can play slop-free. The slop gets "amplified". Cope with lots of very boring repetition. I believe that just about covers it.

Also make sure you're playing in time and preferably making music and not just squeezing the correct amount of notes in between the measures.
Play with dynamics and emphasize different notes. E.g. play a pattern of 8 notes in triplets and accent the first note of each group of three. If you want to challenge your timing you can try 8th/16th note quintuplets or even septuplets but you've got to be patient :)

With sweeping you've got to practice slow and nail it that way before you can let go and pick up the pace. There are so many players out there that want to shred and can't even play what they're pretending to play at a fraction of the speed. It's just a mess. I remember seeing some "lessons" from the guys in dragon force and it's, well, embarrassing imho.

My favorite and probably not the best from a technical learning stand point are the Curt Mitchell vid's killer tone and great playing and funny commentary specifically the EVH instructional vid.

Sixstring said:
My favorite and probably not the best from a technical learning stand point are the Curt Mitchell vid's killer tone and great playing and funny commentary specifically the EVH instructional vid.
Ooh yes. The Best EVH tone!

Well, my first VHS :eek: instructional was Larry Carlton's. I remember 'cause my dad bought it for me.

Then there was the first Vinnie Moore VHS (good story about the making of that on Vinnie's website).

Really liked the EJ vids too...

Back
Top Bottom