What's your favorite dual amp pairings?

I haven't made many new presets with dual amps on the Axe-Fx III yet but for the II XL+ that I had I made several presets that used two amps running simultaneously (both panned center) for some really cool tones. I really like doing it for modern metal stuff with some of the higher gain amps to get super thick stuff.

Has anyone else done this and if so, what are you pairing together?

Last edited:
To immediately put a twist on this, one of my favorite tricks is to use two instances of the same amp with slightly different settings — perhaps panned left and right.

Slightly different EQs, slightly different drive settings... sag... variac... the possibilities are astounding. And this works for both clean and driven tones.

I like to do this too. Not to hijack - but - is there an easy way to send each side separately to your DAW? Would be good to be able to mess with panning there.

If you hard pan them left and right and then mix it back together at the output they should just go to the left and right channels of your DAW. If you put them into a stereo effect that does any panning it would screw that up though...

If I don't need to separate them for recording (which I usually don't either since I can just reamp if needed) I won't pan 100%, just enough to give some extra separation, it depends on the tone.

Another cool trick when doing the dual amp is to put a wah block in the chain of only one of the amps. I first heard this on some Buckethead albums and really liked the effect.

The Bogner Strato & Friedman C45 is a nice combo..
Herbert Ch3 & SLO 100.. pretty crushing..

Lotta great combos & interesting ways to combine them and pan them & if ya use two cab blocks as well..

@unix-guy is correct if it's a mono cab, but a stereo cab with the IRs panned 100% Left and right is stereo.
I think you're thinking of the Axe Fx II? The Axe Fx III doesn't have different types of Cab blocks. Unless I'm missing something.

Also, I think in the case of the stereo Cab you would need to additionally set the Balance of the Amp blocks to hard left and right?

I never really used that setup other than experimentation, so maybe I'm wrong?

Edit:

I'm wrong :)

Cab block supports different Input Modes... Duh!

Last edited:
It's fun to run 2 x Hot Kitty's at the same time, one panned left and the other right. The actual amp allows for the clean and drive channels to be run simultaneously so you can dial in both amps to accurately reproduce this feature of the actual amp. I know Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) used this feature a lot in the past. Is there any limit to what this machine can do? Rhetorical question. The answer is no!

I’m in an instrumental 3pc and shoot for the biggest, clearest sound I can achieve, then pull it back to make room for the bass and drums. For many years, I have been using one amp hard right, one hard left, an EL34 based amp and a 6L6 based amp. The impedance curves of each are different and will cause different types of compression, dynamics and tone contours in each amp’s output section, right? My idea was to try and replicate something like double tracking, or at least the idea of two simultaneous guitar players and slightly different amps, with their different tone and dynamics characteristics, panned opposite.

My old fridge rack had 2 JCM800 50w’s modded the same, one with EL34s, the other with 6L6s, dual mono each side. Great results, when satan and his ground loops had something better to do. Got sick of the fight and got an Axe.

Two amps dual mono dry is huge, but presents problems with downstream stereo effects if you wish to preserve the dual mono “stereo” image.

I was just about post a thread on this subject, so please let me know if anything above runs counter to your knowledge and experience before I post, thanks!

It's fun to run 2 x Hot Kitty's at the same time, one panned left and the other right. The actual amp allows for the clean and drive channels to be run simultaneously so you can dial in both amps to accurately reproduce this feature of the actual amp. I know Steven Wilson (Porcupine Tree) used this feature a lot in the past. Is there any limit to what this machine can do? Rhetorical question. The answer is no!

Marshall EL84 20/20 Amplifier and 2 Blue Alnico Speakers is my lineup.
How can I create a really good stereo image?
Somehow it doesn't work well.
Would it be a blunt request for a preset?
A good stereo setup?
I appreciate any help!

Marshall EL84 20/20 Amplifier and 2 Blue Alnico Speakers is my lineup.
How can I create a really good stereo image?
Somehow it doesn't work well.
Would it be a blunt request for a preset?
A good stereo setup?
I appreciate any help!
I am still learning this stuff myself Jozsef so at risk of the blind leading the blind, I will leave your questions for the experts to chime in.

After reading Petrucci quad tracked the Awake album with two stereo IIC+ with two stereo Recto, I added a recto to the Petrucci rig presets. It’s works nicely!

Back
Top Bottom