What's your base tone?

I have a couple of different setups depending upon what works for the situation or recording. Not much going on live these days but we are rehearsing at least once a month if not more.

I tend to make a preset with a couple of instances of the Friedman amps that work for me for Rhythm and Leads and I have also been using the JP-2C model in it's clean, Rhythm and lead settings.

Have to start to use some of the other amazing models on the III. There are just so many great tones to be had!

That's too kind of you! I'll try it out later tonight. I somehow always find it's easier to do my own presets. Or let's put it this way: I was always disappointed by preset packs I bought.
I prefer to do my own as well for the very same reason, just thought it would be easier for you to see the different settings rather than listing them.

I roll a lot of my own, but do refer to the AB Naked Amps as a sort of starting point fairly often....

I bought the live gold pack and I recognize the amount of work that went into creating that. It’s absolutely worth the money if you consider that. However, the presets very rarely work out of the box for me. I always have to tweak and afterwards I always think « damn, would have gotten quicker to that tone if I’d have started from scratch ».

I have to say though that 90% of the time I use my neck pickup (on my strat). So everything sounds obviously very bassy and woofy. I guess that most presets are set up for the bridge pu. Or maybe my pickups are just weird 😂

but I also do believe that a lot comes from the strings, the pick and the cable. It’s virtually impossible to create a patch That works well for every kind of guitar. I guess this is linked to the fact how sensitive the axe is, and I mean that in a good way of course

I bought the live gold pack and I recognize the amount of work that went into creating that. It’s absolutely worth the money if you consider that. However, the presets very rarely work out of the box for me. I always have to tweak and afterwards I always think « damn, would have gotten quicker to that tone if I’d have started from scratch ».

I have to say though that 90% of the time I use my neck pickup (on my strat). So everything sounds obviously very bassy and woofy. I guess that most presets are set up for the bridge pu. Or maybe my pickups are just weird 😂
Yeah, I generally pull blocks or channels of blocks from amps, cabs, or effects that I like and build around them....

For just mucking about, an HBE.

For all the recording I'm doing, since I've got tonal ADD, I jump from amp to amp depending on the song. I've got like 10 different presets based around chugging riffs. :D

I have a couple of different setups depending upon what works for the situation or recording. Not much going on live these days but we are rehearsing at least once a month if not more.

I tend to make a preset with a couple of instances of the Friedman amps that work for me for Rhythm and Leads and I have also been using the JP-2C model in it's clean, Rhythm and lead settings.

Have to start to use some of the other amazing models on the III. There are just so many great tones to be had!
What kind of music?

I've always avoided signature gear in the past (yeah, I'm one of those guys) but the JP-2C is infuriatingly good sounding. In fact, all of Petruccis stuff is, and I don't even really like Dream Theater.

Its changes from time to time. Currently it is the new Achean bright model for an 80's hair metal type sound.

It probably sounds dumb, but I always forget to try using dirt pedals for gain tones. I always default to amp gain, but I think I'll work at rectifying that tonight.
If you keep forgetting them, you probably don't need them.

What kind of music?

I've always avoided signature gear in the past (yeah, I'm one of those guys) but the JP-2C is infuriatingly good sounding. In fact, all of Petruccis stuff is, and I don't even really like Dream Theater.

We play at lot of the 80s to current stuff. I enjoy playing with higher gain at anytime!
Loved the JP-2C amp when I had it. I hope they update in in the future with that new reactive load setup that they have in their new Badlander series. It would be the one amp I would definitely buy again!

My main heavy rhythm amps are the FAS Modern (boosted with a TS808) and the Euro Uber (with a Precision Drive and Multiband Compressor). For leads, I've been loving the FAS6160 with the saturation switch on, and the variac at 75%.

For cleans, I've been experimenting with the Boutique 1, Carol-Ann Tucana 3, and the ODS-Clean.

What, every time you boot up the Axe FX you make a preset depending on what you’re feeling that day? Come on man

Most of the time yes. But I have only had my Axe3 for a few months and that's what I got it for. It's the same with my synths (at least the ones that have presets) or my DAW. Always a blank slate and work from there (well with synths its a saw init patch but same same). Generally I don't save presets unless they are something special (or for a purpose i.e. mid recording or trying to emulate a specific sound) anyway most of the time I would just remake them if need be.

The more you bed in the less you learn and I am not really ready to do that with the Axe yet there is too much scope for experimentation.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom