What's your base tone?

Ghast

Obviously with the AF3 you don't really have to have a base tone the way you would with a traditional amp/pedalboard setup, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a default sound that covers most of their needs. It would also be helpful to know what instrument and genre you're playing.

So, what is it?

I mostly play in a tech death band, so I've been really flirting with the Thordendal stuff to get really tight Recto tones with my PRS Cu24. That being said, the pushed AC30 with my Telecaster is a surprisingly versatile sound that I've been loving for black metal stuff.

Class A or USA Pre Clean for clean
Class A TB for crunch
Tucana Lead or Triple Crest for High Gain - this one changes often, i always try new things
USA Lead for High Gain Lead

I use a lot of them, but the 6G12, MkIV Clean, DC30 EF86, and Hipower Jumped pop up a lot for clean, though lately I have been enjoying the Archean Clean as well.

For mid-gain, crunchy stuff, the various Marshall Plexi models and the MkIV Rhythm seem to pop up most often, along with the Mk IIC+ set to lower gain/drive settings.

For high gain stuff, the Mk IIC+ and MkIV lead modes seem to pop up most often, though the Archean Bright is starting to get more play time lately....

Nuclear Tone seems to have been my base for a few months. Used for clean to crunch Tele/Strat/Power'tron tones. Jamray drive model pairs quite nicely for more gain. Keep wanting to experiment with other models but the Nuclear Tone is simply a great amp.

I leave it on my jazzmaster preset most of the time. Also my playing time has dipped considerably since October lol. Divided by 13 CJ, reverb and delay and I forget what pedal I used for "medium gain" tones.

The preset works with all my guitars, but humbuckers obviously come through a little hot. Just got a new guitar in last night and that'll probably get it's own preset too.

Nuclear Tone seems to have been my base for a few months. Used for clean to crunch Tele/Strat/Power'tron tones. Jamray drive model pairs quite nicely for more gain. Keep wanting to experiment with other models but the Nuclear Tone is simply a great amp.
It probably sounds dumb, but I always forget to try using dirt pedals for gain tones. I always default to amp gain, but I think I'll work at rectifying that tonight.

I’ve been stuck on the Triple Crest 3 for my high gain/ lead tone... I keep trying other models but nothing has knocked out off for me yet....
Clean time is now Archean... it knocked off the double verb and I love it... for a mild break up the ocd model drive I’m finding really nice and chewy...
I’m finding no matter what amps I use I end up tweaking them so much they all start to sound close to each other.

Obviously with the AF3 you don't really have to have a base tone the way you would with a traditional amp/pedalboard setup, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who has a default sound that covers most of their needs. It would also be helpful to know what instrument and genre you're playing.

So, what is it?

I mostly play in a tech death band, so I've been really flirting with the Thordendal stuff to get really tight Recto tones with my PRS Cu24. That being said, the pushed AC30 with my Telecaster is a surprisingly versatile sound that I've been loving for black metal stuff.

the core tones of my live gigs, recording is different, is the ac20 or a deluxe reverb pushed a littlr, with comp for clean. The bogner blue for various levels of dirty crunch through to higher gain pushed with a ts pedal in front. Mixture of York audio ir’s, for clean, dirty, crunch and lead stuff.

I'm experimenting with using the amp as the base tone (I've been using an "always on" drive pedal to this point). I use the DC30 EF86 for 90% of what I do and so far, I'm loving using the amp as the base tone (I've had an HC30 - head/cab version of the DC30 - for about 8 years). Here's a recording I did for our other guitar players at church for our arrangement of Hark the Herald Angels Sing. This is all amp, no drive pedals! Axe III continues to blow me away!

Shiva Clean or Lead
Class-A 30W TB
Brit JM 45
Deluxe Verb Vibrato

Depends on the feel, tone, era, style, sound I'm looking for/using. :D

JP-2C Yellow for rhythm
JP-2C Red for lead (usually with a pedal)
Texas Star for Clean
Texas Star (with gain on 10) for an "amp about to blow up" sound

Texas Star seems to be the closest I've found to the Triaxis Rhy Green sound.

JP-2C Yellow for rhythm
JP-2C Red for lead (usually with a pedal)
Texas Star for Clean
Texas Star (with gain on 10) for an "amp about to blow up" sound

Texas Star seems to be the closest I've found to the Triaxis Rhy Green sound.
Do you know there is a model of the rhy green?

(Gated) Das Metal + EMG 81 for ultra tight metal tone. Boosted JCM 800 for 80s ballads. Nuclear, Tucana and Matchbox for crunch and mojo.

A Les Paul through a patch consisting of an Uberschall and an Ecstacy in stereo with delay and reverb, through a pair of CLRs and a 4x12.

Back
Top Bottom