What's your #1

I bought this black Strat at a used guitar shop in Seattle in the early 90s, and it's been my main workhorse for touring and studio use ever since. The only major change I made was replacing the factory pickups (a mismatched set of lace sensors) with Fralin blues pickups. I have played countless hours on this guitar, and over 20 years of gigs, I wore out the original frets. A couple of years ago I had stainless steel frets installed by Mike Lull, and I expect this instrument to last me forever. This guitar isn't unusually valuable. It's just a late 80s or early 90s USA built Fender, but it really works for me. I have a lot of guitars, including valuable "boutique" builds. There are a bunch of little characteristics in this one that add up to #1 for me.

Attachments

• black strat reborn.JPG
    black strat reborn.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 15
My #1 is a Custom Strat, Made By Navarro Custom Instruments.
Maple Top.Basswood body, Chambered design, weighs 6.66lbs
Oil and wax finish.
Jeff Callahan Pickups
_97A3682.jpg
_97A3681.jpg

Attachments

• _97A3679.jpg
    _97A3679.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 2
1986 Blue Flower Tele Japanese Reissue. I changed out the bridge and put in a Dimarzio Area T 615. I just got it back from having new frets put on it. He reshaped the edges of the neck to feel more like my 1969 Tele. I also have a black 1975 Telecaster Custom that just came back from the shop as well. They both play great, but he really did an outstanding job on the '86. It's a lot of fun to play. The black one was #1 for a long time until the blue one finally got worked on.

I actually spent the last summer cycling through all of my guitars. I told myself that if I wasn't playing them, I wouldn't keep them. So I made sure each one got played live at least once. But now that I'm done with that, I'me very happy to be back on these two again. They've been modified just enough that I feel very confident taking them into battle every weekend. Something about them just feels very natural for me to play. So now I just stick with what I know works best.

BlueTele.jpeg

BlackTele.jpeg

I have 4 #1's:
For the really technical stuff the action on my 2001 JEM is #1. For high gain stuff it's my PRS custom 24 with \m/ pickups. For cleans, piezo, and all around "chocolate cake" tones it's the JP6. And the JP7 is #1 for, well, 7 string stuff!!!

guitars2015.jpg

It's a little weird because my n1 is my jp12 but I miss my jp6 and I Wish I'd rather have a majesty :s

My main #1 is a PRS 513 with a Brazilian Rosewood neck. If I want a lighter guitar for the night, a Music Man Albert Lee HH with an Indian Rosewood neck. Love the feel of that bare rosewood.

All my guitars are potential #1's depending on the gig. This is my #1 for D&D based metal projects..

sl_02.jpg

I have not been able to select a #1 as each gig seems to require a specific guitar, a Strat, HSS, heavy stuff humbuckers and so on... Or it depends on the phases of the moon -- nice to rotate amongst the guitars I have (mostly Music Man ones.)

Mine is a Veritas Portlander. The pickups Have been changed out since the picture - they are currently as-of-yet unnamed McNellys - basically 50s style strat pickups in a humbucker case with a silver foil top. Probably going to have Veritas route out space for a middle strat pickup in a few months too.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg My custom made superstrat. Wenge body with birdeye maple neck, indian rosewood fretboard. Suhr SSH+ and Dimarzio Satchtrack. Built for speed. Amazing tone and playsbility! image.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom