What's You Favorite Creamy Lead Preset?

TSJMajesty

Fractal Fanatic
I'd appreciate you posting examples of a "biting" lead tone, with sustain, but without the aggressive high-gain pick attack. What I have trouble with, is when playing a quick passage that goes from say, the 10th fret of the 2nd string to the 7th on the 1st, (or really, any adjacent strings) and if you don't lift your finger at the exact moment, you hear both strings for just the briefest time, and you can hear the dissonance. So I guess I'm looking for help with getting a really creamy lead tone, that kind of allows for less-than-perfect technique, if that makes sense.

I'm learning a song that has lots of picked arpeggios, and trying to not have any space between the notes, but also no overlap (that causes that dissonance.) I'm working on the technique part as well, but in the meantime, I feel the right preset would help.
Thanks!

Oh, and really "full" stereo effects are welcome. Micro "detune", chorus, enhancer, those sorts of effects. Anything that really makes it sounds awesome in headphones would be great!

I'd appreciate you posting examples of a "biting" lead tone, with sustain, but without the aggressive high-gain pick attack. What I have trouble with, is when playing a quick passage that goes from say, the 10th fret of the 2nd string to the 7th on the 1st, (or really, any adjacent strings) and if you don't lift your finger at the exact moment, you hear both strings for just the briefest time, and you can hear the dissonance. So I guess I'm looking for help with getting a really creamy lead tone, that kind of allows for less-than-perfect technique, if that makes sense.

I'm learning a song that has lots of picked arpeggios, and trying to not have any space between the notes, but also no overlap (that causes that dissonance.) I'm working on the technique part as well, but in the meantime, I feel the right preset would help.
Thanks!
That "dissonance" is intermodulation distortion. You get it whenever you play two or more notes with distortion. The more distortion you're using, the stronger the intermod. If you want a more forgiving tone, you have to dial down the distortion. Which is pretty much the opposite of "creamy lead tone." So work on that technique. :)

That "dissonance" is intermodulation distortion. You get it whenever you play two or more notes with distortion. The more distortion you're using, the stronger the intermod. If you want a more forgiving tone, you have to dial down the distortion. Which is pretty much the opposite of "creamy lead tone." So work on that technique. :)
Yeah, I kinda figured they were 'mutually exclusive.' I am working on it. But damn, the difference between exaggerating the note separation, and having a fluid transition between notes, is SO SMALL, especially at fast speeds.
Getting the Majesty, and then the Axe III have SO inspired me to go back and work on my abilities..., what I wouldn't do to have had this dedication to practice back when I was young and chasing tail mostly!
Thanks for the comment!

Not sure it's creamy but the FAS Lead factory preset is a killer lead preset. Sits in a mix nice too.

Thanks for the replies. I've been using the Mark IV factory preset on the lead scene #8, and really focusing on my technique when changing strings. Looking back, prior to getting the Axe III, I had been practicing a lot unplugged, having recently rededicated my focus on improving my abilities. I flat out shouldn't have done this, and to anyone who wishes to play lead guitar solos using a high gain tone, it's bad advice, because you can't hear those dissonant overtones when your string-changes are less than accurate. I say, practice with the same tone you're going to use.
So for the past couple days, I've slowed everything back down to whatever speed I needed, in order to be able to make those changes flawlessly. I agree with Rex that a certain high gain tone is just not going to fix this. I have to do it.
With that somewhat dealt with, damn the Mark IV really shines as a creamy lead tone. Now I'll try some of the other suggestions.

The FAS Hot Rod with the AC booster in front of it is what is working for me…. But working on and getting good at hammer ons from nowhere helped me a ton…. It has translated to my note separation while picking as well. Smoothed everything out. If you haven’t tried that check it out and see what it does for you…

Back
Top Bottom