What's with all the haters?

It is human nature to root against the perceived dominant team/force/object/person/whatever. David and Goliath syndrome. Now that the Axe-Fx has become the apparent king-of-the-hill, some want to see it dethroned.

People hating on your products ^

It's the true tell tale sign you know you really have something great :D

I'm quite open-minded as well as entitled to my opinion just as everyone else here. I am not casting stones. I am simply giving my opinion. The Axe II both sound wise and in versatility are above all of the current competition, IMO. If any of you don't like my opinion, feel free to disagree, but don't make me out to be some ignorant dolt. I didn't start this thread, I am merely commenting in it just as all of you are. If people really can't hear/feel the difference between the Axe II and other product, then good for them. They can save the cash and use the inferior (opinion) product and I will happily go on using the best "all-in-one" rig solution ever invented. If that makes me a fan boy or whatever, so be it. I spent a good chunk of hard earned cash for this thing and I will proudly wave the Fractal banner. My tone is better for it.

Don't get your panties in a bunch.I'm sure not trying to change your mind.I respect everybody's opinion.
That's just the way I interpreted what Paco wrote.
My comment was aimed at the haters, no matter what side they're on (since, unfortunately, somebody opened yet another counterproductive Axe against Pod thread).Somehow you took it personally??

Don't get your panties in a bunch.I'm sure not trying to change your mind.I respect everybody's opinion.
That's just the way I interpreted what Paco wrote.!
My comment was aimed at the haters, no matter what side they're on (since, unfortunately, somebody opened yet another counterproductive Axe against Pod thread).Somehow you took in personally??

You and Paco quoted me. How was I to assume you weren't directing your comments towards me?

It is human nature to root against the perceived dominant team/force/object/person/whatever. David and Goliath syndrome. Now that the Axe-Fx has become the apparent king-of-the-hill, some want to see it dethroned.

I think it's more akin to the Corvette owner who sneers at the guy with the Ferrari. If you've plonked a grand on an Eleven (the Corvette in this scenario) then you might feel you need to justify your purchase somewhat. :)

(PS - I'm not implying all corvette owners are ungracious about Ferraris. But I've met a couple.).

You know I think this can apply with getting a car like a Honda versus a BMW and in the end, It's what gets you to your location. I gotta admit that took me a while to get a grip on. Same with the solid state vs tube amp vs voodoo magic. In the end, It's all about the tone.

I have both and use the POD HD 500 to control my Ultra. I think this is a pretty cool setup. I include an A/B switch that can switch my guitar's output between the two modellers instantaneously which is also very cool. Switching back and forth between the two I hear a depth of tone and articulation in the Ultra that I don't hear in the POD but you have to know what your listening for so someone who has his POD dialled in may not immediately hear the difference and jump to the conclusion that there is no difference. But it's clearly there, so much so that I would call it a fact, rather than a subjective opinion. So the additional price is warranted particularly when the free upgrades are included (I've owned 3 PODs worth a total of 1500$ which, in total, did not advance 1/2 the way that my Ultra did between FW 7 and 11 - and 7 was well ahead of where my current POD is).

Here's one thing I do notice that I'm wondering if others experience. Every once in a while after many hours on the Ultra, I'll switch over to the POD (or to a plug in - i.e. Revalver, Guitar Rig, Pod Farm), and I'll get a wow-effect from the fresh new sound - it sounds new and good, but when I return to the Ultra I immediately hear the improved articulation and complexity of tone. I think our ears can get tired of anything after a while and when we need a break, POD Farm or what ever can give us a smile.

Too bad about the haters since there's a place for everything - FAS, L6, ... even Behringer - it's all good at it's varying price points. What a great age we live in. Our only worry is which horse to bet on - so far FAS has been a winner - let's hope they stay out in front.

Reactions: jon
What!!!!????? People hate this box? If I had known that I never would have bought it. Or come to think of it.......any other piece of gear I've owned over the years...;)

These haters must only be in internet forums.. :)
In over 5 years of Axe use, never met an Axe FX hater at any gig, or studio session.. :) They usually just ask me if i want to sell it to them ..

I've actually gotten reports that other companies have started "whisper campaigns" against us.

You can hate me, you can hate my products, but one thing I will never do is play the dirty marketing game.

We recently spent a couple weeks setting up the Axe-Fx II for a very high-profile player overseas. A certain company got wind of this somehow and some free gear ended up on his doorstep a few days later.

I actually get hate emails. Ridiculous. If you don't like me or the product, don't use it. But to attack me as though I've somehow done you an injustice is stupid.

I've actually gotten reports that other companies have started "whisper campaigns" against us.

You can hate me, you can hate my products, but one thing I will never do is play the dirty marketing game.

We recently spent a couple weeks setting up the Axe-Fx II for a very high-profile player overseas. A certain company got wind of this somehow and some free gear ended up on his doorstep a few days later.

I actually get hate emails. Ridiculous. If you don't like me or the product, don't use it. But to attack me as though I've somehow done you an injustice is stupid.

I can understand a company sending free stuff to high-profile players to compete with other companies, but sending hate mail or hiring people to spread lies/hate is just wrong. That has to be toeing the line of both liable and slander.

I've been reading a thread on Gearslutz the last couple of days (for entertainment purposes only) called "Worst Gear Purchases" and it just astounds me reading some of the gear mentioned. You know, stuff like Neuman U87, UA 610, UA 1176....and on and on. Really? I mean gear that has been used on hit records time and time again. I mean maybe a piece of gear may not fit an immediate need, but to call it a piece of crap? Just utter stupidity. I'm absolutley sure you know this Cliff but there is a ton of misinfo. out there and a lot of just plain mean spirited people. Wouldn't take it seriously in the least. You make a GREAT product. But I don't have to tell you that. :) J

Reactions: jon
On another note. I couldn't be anymore pleased with the way the Axe II sits in a mix. I'm not a guitar monster or anything. Just a guy trying to get his songs to sound good. I've spent weeks to months trying to get a couple of guitar parts to sit in the mix using real amps, plugins and other hardware emulators on a couple songs. No go! The second I hit it with the Axe with just the slightest tweek, there it is! Just awesome and I thank Fractal for making this product! J

BTW I don't blame any of those amps, plugins or whatever I tried for my failure to get a sound. I'm sure that in the hand of somebody more talented they could have come up with something. The Axe just made soooooooo much easier for ME. Just sounds great! J

Last edited:
No it wouldn't. You'd still have to upgrade every 3 years. 12/3*2.2K=8.8K. So you'd only save $21.2K. :) OTOH, you've probably sold that MK2C+ for more than you paid for it, amirite? Try that with digital stuff sometime.

Well, I paid $1100 for it 8.5 years ago. It sold for $1551 on eBay, but the dude seems like he's not going to pay me. Anyway... What? Upgrade what every 3 years? My Axe FX? Trust me, this box could've saved my a legitimate $30k. The gear I listed is only what I've recently sold. I kept searching and buying and spending and tweaking. I had a great sound, but it cost a fortune and weighed a ton and took 30+ minutes to setup.

Don't tell Cliff, but I would feel just fine paying $5k for this kind of technology that he has developed. Sshhhh. I'm glad I don't have too though.

You are right though. Most digital stuff goes for less than you pay for it. Well, most ANYTHING goes for less than you paid for it. Not just digital.

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

That's true... Except you dethroned yourself w/ the Axe FX II. LOL!!! Keep up the good work Cliff! Thanx for everything thing!
P.S. Send me my coupon code!!!!!! I want my II this week!!!

I'm a djent djent meedley meedely meedely type player...

Sent from my iPod.

To some people their gear is part of their ego-defense or provides a sense of safety (against the percieved technological complexity of the Axe). Technological fear strikes wider and deeper than it might appear.

Some people prefer looking for problems because it gives them immediate gratification.

Nonetheless we should just leave them alone. Some just will not be converted/convinced, regardless of how hard we try.

IMHO, YMMV.

These haters must only be in internet forums.. :)
In over 5 years of Axe use, never met an Axe FX hater at any gig, or studio session.. :) They usually just ask me if i want to sell it to them ..

I've got an Axe Standard set up in the studio with a "default" group of sounds. 8/10 players coming in choose to use the Axe rather than spend the time (aka "money") to get their amp dialled in, the mic placement sorted, etc.

Actually come to think of it, the Axe is making me lose money. Damn it!

:)

You have my apologies guys, I didn't intend to stir any controversy. I just failed to see how all these people can continually hate on such a fantastic piece of kit. I should have remained true in my resolve. So what if I could buy 3 Pod HD's for one Axe Fx. The question still stands: Would I rather have 3 Ford's or a Ferrari?

I loved my Ultra before I sold it to raise funds for the 2. I don't regret my decision, I just wanted some relatively unbiased opinions on the matter. It would appear that us Fractal fans, as less inclined to slate the competition as the Line 6 enthusiasts.

Again, my sincerest apologies to the forum users, I wasn't trolling or looking to start trouble. I'll be more careful in future :)

Last edited:

<3 !!! Stick it to 'em man!!! ;) we're all with you 224.7369%

Back
Top Bottom