What's up with price gouging on used FAS gear?

Fractal gear can often fetch above new prices on the used market. Most of the time you have to be lucky to save much over new. Often the saving or small and that is when you are not dealing with sellers shooting for the star

Long time ago I learned that you can expect\ask\hope for 60% of what you paid for a piece of musical gear. Good starting point. I believe that is still true today, for the most part anyway.

This is another huge benefit of owning Fractal gear. I started with the Ultra back in 2010 and have upgraded to every new piece of hardware released up to my AXE-FX III MKII and FM3 I own today. With every change I've been able to sell my old piece for damn near the same price I originally paid for it without even trying that hard! Every other piece of electronic gear that became obsolete I've either given away or thrown in the trash because of it's worthless resale value. Heck, it looks like the Ultra still has a market of $500 - $800 in today's world! I don't remember exactly what they sold for originally, but I think that's still 30% to 50% of it's original sale price of about $1500 over a decade ago? That's amazing in my opinion for electronic gear!

Except when you find someone dumb enough to pay your inflated asking price! ;)
Never EVER underestimate a late night boozer with a Reverb account. I’ve had two folks in the last four months buy gear from me at 2:30 am and 3:00 am, hit me the next day saying “uhm.....can I take a mulligan?”

I see this all the time on Reverb, people asking totally ridiculous prices for gear and I've seen the exact same thing you said with Fractal gear being advertised above the direct retail price. Ultimately it boils down to what people are willing to pay, regardless of the logic in the price. The housing market up here in Canada is the same way, people are asking hyper-inflated prices but someone is paying it and thus the cycle continues....... until the "POP". There was an article in a paper that a pretty mediocre house sold for $250K ABOVE asking!

You just wait until the "Pre-Gibson" Mesa's start showing up :rolleyes:
Average sale price in Ontario in March was almost $900K according to OREA report I saw today.

GTA housing prices need to stay flat for 19 years (which will never happen) for a two income, average earner household to be able to catch up (3%-5% cost of living increase per year) from the rise of the last 12 months. Great time to sell if you don’t need to buy again, but for the rest of us.....

Again, listing at prices higher than retail is usually done without knowledge that new items are available at retail again. If I was contacting someone about a used listing, I’d certainly mention something like, “hey I know you listed that FM3 at $1400 but new ones are in stock for $1000. Would you be willing to take $800 shipped?”

That very politely communicates that their listing is currently overpriced and exactly why. It provides an incentive to sell lower if they’re looking to sell before stock is out again. It also provides an opportunity for them to say, “no thanks man, I’ll wait.”

Seems pretty simple to me. Communication skills are important.

This is a decidedly "man yells at cloud" thread.
What was the best possible outcome here?
We undo capitalism and internet fueled impulse buys for the earth? :p
Change that international import regulations are complex and often expensive?
I mean I wasn't too busy today, I'll get on that.

This is a decidedly "man yells at cloud" thread.
What was the best possible outcome here?
We undo capitalism and internet fueled impulse buys for the earth? :p
Change that international import regulations are complex and often expensive?
I mean I wasn't too busy today, I'll get on that.
You don't understand... they are talking about Reverb and Craigslist listings in US for US shipping only...

No my friend you are looking at this the wrong way and still are ignoring the obvious.
What is talking about it here going to achieve? Nothing. Why?

US only shipping is a meaningless distinction for the two groups this is targeted at.

1. The impulsive and the dumb. Never underestimate the power of less than restrained people. Whole businesses are based on it and make money. Not a Fractal thing at all. Look at all the high-end / prestige devices that sell for more than list online.

2. People with dirty money who buy on the gray market to avoid reporting gains / taxes / etc. They often buy Apple items and other products for resale on the black market or will re-list it for sale overseas. Again, not really Fractal. Not a U.S. shipping thing.

Neither of these things are new or in any way unique to Fractal products. They are also out of Fractal's control.

Be well.

Do the right thing, and just order the unit(s) directly from Fractal. Support those that make the best modeling unit in the market. Just saying....

Back
Top Bottom