What's up with price gouging on used FAS gear?

If they can sell their used FM3 at a markup to somebody in Europe, why would they want to sell it to you for less?
PLEASE LISTEN, these are people here in the U.S. responding to my want ad on craigslist where I specifically say I won't pay full retail for a used item. They are sending me emails and then harassing me when I don't jump at their over retail prices for USED gear.

Every time that a thread like this comes up, I remember that I paid $3,339 (including shipping to Bangkok) for the Axe-FX III, July 2018, on Reverb. That was the only way I could get one in Thailand at that time. And I was lucky that it magically passed through the customs without charges for VAT (7%) plus Custom Duty (30%), otherwise the total would have been $4,575

So, if they set these prices, it is because there is demand outside of the US, Canada and Europe. That is what happens when there is no regular distribution through the music shops, and there is a waiting list when the product is announced: speculation and profiting

Axe-FX III.png

Last edited:
PLEASE LISTEN, these are people here in the U.S. responding to my want ad on craigslist where I specifically say I won't pay full retail for a used item. They are sending me emails and then harassing me when I don't jump at their over retail prices for USED gear.
PLEASE LISTEN. Those same sellers could sell to Europe with a big markup. That sets the price on the used market. Regardless where you live.

If I can get $1400 for my FM3, why should I give you a discount? Just because you're in America?

PLEASE LISTEN. Those same sellers could sell to Europe with a big markup. That sets the price on the used market. Regardless where you live.

If I can get $1400 for my FM3, why should I give you a discount? Just because you're in America?
Dude, I don't know how else I can explain to you that I'm talking about posts for sale and shipment within the US only. So is this person. Yes, we all know that people do buy stuff from America at a markup and get it shipped abroad. That's specifically not what we're talking about here, as the Reverb posts clearly state CONUS shipping only, and Craigslist is in-person cash shipping.

But whatever, I now regret posting this topic with the amount of mansplaining happening here. 😆

The price gouging every where ,not just fractal stuff , drives me me crazy . craigs list ,reverb ,eBay AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

The price gouging every where ,not just fractal stuff , drives me me crazy . craigs list ,reverb ,eBay AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Agree. The good thing is people aren't stupid and they don't sell at those prices. The last guitar I bought the seller originally wanted $550, but finally agreed to sell for 300.00.

Probably not a good example but how much did a 59 Les Paul sell for in 59... $300? Who in their right mind would pay 6 figures for one now. We could only hope in 50 years that FAS products are worth that much.

Dude, I don't know how else I can explain to you that I'm talking about posts for sale and shipment within the US only. So is this person. Yes, we all know that people do buy stuff from America at a markup and get it shipped abroad. That's specifically not what we're talking about here, as the Reverb posts clearly state CONUS shipping only, and Craigslist is in-person cash shipping.

But whatever, I now regret posting this topic with the amount of mansplaining happening here. 😆
Dude, I don't know how else to explain this to you...

I own an FM3. I know I can sell it for more than I paid for it. That's the going rate. Why would I sell it to you or anybody else for less than the going rate? "CONUS shipping only" doesn't magically change the market in the buyers' favor.

If you can't afford the full retail price of the FM3, then you should buy two of them at retail price and sell the second one at a markup.

Last edited:

Indeed. At the start of the pandemic, I was talking to some buds who are always on the lookout for deals. We all assumed with people being out of work, there’d be a ton of gear going for cheap. At one point, I even said “If someone is hard up for cash and doesn’t really want to sell whatever it is they’re selling, I’ll sell it back to them for the same price once they’re back on their feet.”, I think I made a post here discussing that. Well, that never once happened because practically everything of interest I’ve looked at has been selling used for new prices, or more.

Craigslist, Facebook, EBay, Reverb, etc. It’s almost like there was a discussion at one point where it was mutually agreed across the board to only sell for high prices. I’m sure there are a multitude of reasons on the seller’s end; not actually wanting to sell so it’d have to be worth it for them, figuring “The whole world is in a pandemic, I’m sure people will understand why the price is so high”, and “Shit, I don’t have a pot to piss in, I need EVERY dime I can get”. Who knows.

Dude, I don't know how else to explain this to you...

I own an FM3. I know I can sell it for more than I paid for it. That's the going rate. Why would I sell it to you or anybody else for less than the going rate? "CONUS shipping only" doesn't magically change the market in the buyers' favor.

If you can't afford the full retail price of the FM3, then you should buy two of them at retail price and sell the second one at a markup.
Ok bud. :rolleyes:

I see this all the time on Reverb, people asking totally ridiculous prices for gear and I've seen the exact same thing you said with Fractal gear being advertised above the direct retail price. Ultimately it boils down to what people are willing to pay, regardless of the logic in the price. The housing market up here in Canada is the same way, people are asking hyper-inflated prices but someone is paying it and thus the cycle continues....... until the "POP". There was an article in a paper that a pretty mediocre house sold for $250K ABOVE asking!

You just wait until the "Pre-Gibson" Mesa's start showing up :rolleyes:

Indeed. At the start of the pandemic, I was talking to some buds who are always on the lookout for deals. We all assumed with people being out of work, there’d be a ton of gear going for cheap. At one point, I even said “If someone is hard up for cash and doesn’t really want to sell whatever it is they’re selling, I’ll sell it back to them for the same price once they’re back on their feet.”, I think I made a post here discussing that. Well, that never once happened because practically everything of interest I’ve looked at has been selling used for new prices, or more.

Craigslist, Facebook, EBay, Reverb, etc. It’s almost like there was a discussion at one point where it was mutually agreed across the board to only sell for high prices. I’m sure there are a multitude of reasons on the seller’s end; not actually wanting to sell so it’d have to be worth it for them, figuring “The whole world is in a pandemic, I’m sure people will understand why the price is so high”, and “Shit, I don’t have a pot to piss in, I need EVERY dime I can get”. Who knows.

Inflation has definitely been evident in the gear realm the past year, hasn't it? I suspect we'll see more of it
due to the increased demand (both new and used) and diminished supply.

Now is a great time to be buying late 90's early 00's mainstream synth gear. Tons of bargains out there.

Just saw a used FM3 in the US (where I live) for $1400. They're in stock at the Fractal shop for $999 + shipping. Seeing similar stupid prices for used FC6. If these were still on back order, that would make some sense, but these are all in stock and ready to ship from the Fractal shop. Did I miss something
Last week I was looking for a used Epiphone ES-339, just because. On Reverb. The prices were 20-30% more than a new one at Sweetwater. Crazy....????

I see this all the time on Reverb, people asking totally ridiculous prices for gear and I've seen the exact same thing you said with Fractal gear being advertised above the direct retail price. Ultimately it boils down to what people are willing to pay, regardless of the logic in the price. The housing market up here in Canada is the same way, people are asking hyper-inflated prices but someone is paying it and thus the cycle continues....... until the "POP". There was an article in a paper that a pretty mediocre house sold for $250K ABOVE asking!

You just wait until the "Pre-Gibson" Mesa's start showing up :rolleyes:
Yup, been seeing those little tiny houses in Toronto go for $800k.... its a $350k house.... need to realize though these are pretty rare.

One thing that's really annoying, I have a fair amount of gear listed, from 50% to 70% of retail, overwhelming majority is tire kickers whom want me to give them a discount for no reason, they offer no incentive, they just want it for less. I even put in my ad don't ask for a discount without providing incentive I.e. you offer cash plus something to trade... just be fair.... nope...

Like I have two Marshall 1960B 412's. Asking $600 each, they retail for $1300, everyone wants mint condition and offer $400... more than one guy even wanted both for $600, then got offended when I lol'd.

I can‘t speak to what other sellers are thinking... but when I list stuff on Reverb these days, given all the fees associated with selling on there, I always list high to offset low ball offers. Usually this puts the offers I get more in the range of what I am looking to walk away from the sale with after all the fees.

Yup, been seeing those little tiny houses in Toronto go for $800k.... its a $350k house.... need to realize though these are pretty rare.

One thing that's really annoying, I have a fair amount of gear listed, from 50% to 70% of retail, overwhelming majority is tire kickers whom want me to give them a discount for no reason, they offer no incentive, they just want it for less. I even put in my ad don't ask for a discount without providing incentive I.e. you offer cash plus something to trade... just be fair.... nope...

Like I have two Marshall 1960B 412's. Asking $600 each, they retail for $1300, everyone wants mint condition and offer $400... more than one guy even wanted both for $600, then got offended when I lol'd.

Wow, I'd say if you can find any house in Toronto for $800k you have struck the best deal ever and must have a solid gold Horseshoe up the rear!

I personally love idiotic hagglers, I do it back to them with ludicrous counter offers and they soon go away.

Back
Top Bottom