What's up with price gouging on used FAS gear?

joshriggsFM3

Inspired
Just saw a used FM3 in the US (where I live) for $1400. They're in stock at the Fractal shop for $999 + shipping. Seeing similar stupid prices for used FC6. If these were still on back order, that would make some sense, but these are all in stock and ready to ship from the Fractal shop. Did I miss something?

Great question! I posted wanted ads where I clearly state that I won't pay full retail for a used item without warranty and still I get sellers berating me that I won't get one till November and other BS like that.

Just saw a used FM3 in the US (where I live) for $1400. They're in stock at the Fractal shop for $999 + shipping. Seeing similar stupid prices for used FC6. If these were still on back order, that would make some sense, but these are all in stock and ready to ship from the Fractal shop. Did I miss something?
It’s a capitalist society. People are free to price an item for whatever they think the market will bear, and the buyers are free to ignore those sellers and think they’re greedy, or stupid, or misinformed. It’s the way that supply and demand has always worked. Some people just have to have it now and will pay for immediate gratification.

Pick one or all of the above.

It’s a capitalist society. People are free to price an item for whatever they think the market will bear, and the buyers are free to ignore those sellers and think they’re greedy, or stupid, or misinformed. It’s the way that supply and demand has always worked. Some people just have to have it now and will pay for immediate gratification.

Pick one or all of the above.
Right. I'm familiar with capitalism. You're a pretty bad capitalist if you think someone will pay $1400 for your used FM3 when you can buy a new one for $999 😆

Last edited:
Right. I'm familiar with capitalism. You're a pretty bad capitalist if you think someone will pay $1400 for your used FM3 when you can buy a new one for $999 😆

LOL - yup. But they do it. I see this on Amazon all the time. I was just looking at getting a new SSD for my computer and Amazon is selling the model I was looking at for $349 with free shipping and a third party is selling it for $459 plus shipping. Who would buy from them?

I’m not sure if someone making profit on a sale while the exact same item, with warranty, sells for cheaper. In fact, I’d say that’s the opposite of a bad capitalist if it sells. And these do sell for these prices. This is partially why Fractal has offered a “Pay extra and skip the waitlist” option, to try to get ahead of the guys who are going to sell a backordered unit on EBay/Reverb. At least the customer gets a warranty that way.

Someone just sold a Quad Cortex for $2600 on Reverb. Might seem crazy to me or you, but if someone else has that disposable cash and is willing to part with it, I have a hard time citing the seller as anything but wise to sell it for that price.

I’m not sure if someone making profit on a sale while the exact same item, with warranty, sells for cheaper. In fact, I’d say that’s the opposite of a bad capitalist if it sells. And these do sell for these prices. This is partially why Fractal has offered a “Pay extra and skip the waitlist” option, to try to get ahead of the guys who are going to sell a backordered unit on EBay/Reverb. At least the customer gets a warranty that way.

Someone just sold a Quad Cortex for $2600 on Reverb. Might seem crazy to me or you, but if someone else has that disposable cash and is willing to part with it, I have a hard time citing the seller as anything but wise to sell it for that price.

I saw one listed for $4k the other day. So tempting!!! ;)

Right, but I in the case of the QC, you literally can't buy one unless you find one used. If you pre-order one now, you might get lucky and have it by summer. For an FM3, I can go buy one now for $999 from Fractal, and have it in a few days. No wait list, plenty of stock. 🤷‍♂️

@joshriggsFM3 those prices are for people outside US. Sure, you can buy a new one from Fractal for $999, but it will only ship to US.
There's a link on the Fractal site for International Dealers. Didn't think that was a problem, especially given the tons of demo videos on YouTube from all over the world.

I think it's just a late reaction and correction to supply/demand principles. If they don't sell, the price will go down.

I'm talking about craigslist ads, not ebay. Several people have harrassed me for not jumping at $1050 or MORE for their used FM3's!

Back
Top Bottom