What's This PU?

Unfortunately the only way to tell would be to un-screw the PU from the top (after removing the strings) and possible even un-solder it. Not something a wish to do at this point.

You should be able to loosen the strings enough to lift the pickup high enough to see under or even slide it between the body and the strings. Without looking at the bottom, you are guessing as multiple dimarzio's look identical from the top. Additionally, I wouldn't think your readings would be accurate unless you had it out of circuit, but I'm not an EE so I could be wrong. I'm a huge Dimarzio.

The DCR will read a little lower in-circuit than it would isolated, but it's close enough - for example, a 16.0K pickup with a 500K volume pot would read around 15.5K (tone circuits don't affect DCR).

Another thing you could do, if adventurous, would be to measure the DCR of each coil (using the extra conductors). Some DiMarzios have identical coils (the Super family), some have coils wound with different gauges of wire (so different DCR).

This isn't a Super, because the polepieces are cap screws and not set screws (you can tell by the thickness of the 'rim' around the hex cavity). The black base and silver poles still scream 'Breed' to me; I think the only black-based DiMarzios are the Breed and the Evos, which have black poles.

You should be able to loosen the strings enough to lift the pickup high enough to see under or even slide it between the body and the strings. Without looking at the bottom, you are guessing as multiple dimarzio's look identical from the top. Additionally, I wouldn't think your readings would be accurate unless you had it out of circuit, but I'm not an EE so I could be wrong. I'm a huge Dimarzio.

I gave it some thought and give it a shot. The reading was done based on this: https://www.seymourduncan.com/blog/the-tone-garage/how-a-multi-meter-can-help-your-guitar. Mostly to have an idea of the output.

The DCR will read a little lower in-circuit than it would isolated, but it's close enough - for example, a 16.0K pickup with a 500K volume pot would read around 15.5K (tone circuits don't affect DCR).

Another thing you could do, if adventurous, would be to measure the DCR of each coil (using the extra conductors). Some DiMarzios have identical coils (the Super family), some have coils wound with different gauges of wire (so different DCR).

This isn't a Super, because the polepieces are cap screws and not set screws (you can tell by the thickness of the 'rim' around the hex cavity). The black base and silver poles still scream 'Breed' to me; I think the only black-based DiMarzios are the Breed and the Evos, which have black poles.

The 'Breed' looks very close with a 'DC Resistance of 16.32 Kohm' according (DiMarzio web site) and the Evo2 Bridge 'DC Resistance: 14.02 Kohm'

Seems the 'Breed' is close to my reading.

I have one in my old old bird beak kramer pacer, i found one on ebay NOS, and it sounds amazing. Interesting..

I've got different guitars with different pickups (HB configuration) and I can use the same preset preset with them. Slight differences of course but all sound good to my ears. As soon as I use the Kramer....not so much.

The Super 3 has the option of black screws. What picture are you looking at? The one in the OP has set screws, not cap screws or button head socket screws like the Invader. I'd swear my 15 years as a tool and die maker/machinist on it.

Well, I'm afraid you're still mistaken.. Very few DiMarzios use set screws. The Super family, the D-Activators...maybe a few others. The rest (with hex-head poles) use socket head cap screws. They're going into regular bobbins which have countersunk bores, so the 'cap' on the screw is sitting inside the bobbin. I have a Breed sitting on my table at the moment.

The Super 3 has the option of non-black screws. Black is standard.

@AdmiralB Hmmmm, not from what I remember after taking apart a Super D. I remember the pole pieces being the same thickness throughout to the bottom, idk it was long ago. Oh wait, did you mean the Super family does use set screws? Regardless, you will admit they are not like the Invader's button head screws correct?

Last edited:
I've got different guitars with different pickups (HB configuration) and I can use the same preset preset with them. Slight differences of course but all sound good to my ears. As soon as I use the Kramer....not so much.

Just looked at my Schaller. It has two screws on top, one on bottom, and it’s surface is textured not smooth. I’m leaning towards dimarzio.

@AdmiralB Oh wait, did you mean the Super family does use set screws? Regardless, you will admit they are not like the Invader's button head screws correct?

Yep, the Supers (original, 2, and 3) use set screws. As do a few others. But most all newer models use cap screws; you can swap in the old-style fillister-head if you wish.

You can tell that these are cap screws by the thickness of the rim around the 'hex' - set screws taper.

@ArmiralB Yeah I see that now, I was just looking at a couple Dimarzio's I have and an Ibanez V7 and V8. I see the ones that are set screws aren't perfectly round because of the spiraling threads, whereas the caps are perfectly round. I unscrewed one on the Ibanez pickups and sure enough it was a cap screw. I couldn't unscrew the Crunch Lab or the Gravity Storms because the same Allen wrench was just a hair too big, and my friend has my US Allen wrench set. You wouldn't happen to know what they are would you?

Fillister head? No, no. Uhuh, you'll ruin the TONE! ;)

Last edited:
I always thought they were the same size wrenches, but maybe not. Sometimes the potting wax makes them a tight fit.

The Super-style set screws are #10 (fine pitch, don't recall what the count is), and the cap screws are #5-40, if that helps.

I always thought they were the same size wrenches, but maybe not. Sometimes the potting wax makes them a tight fit.

The Super-style set screws are #10 (fine pitch, don't recall what the count is), and the cap screws are #5-40, if that helps.

Naw I was wondering if you knew if the Gravity Storms are using set screws or cap screws? same goes for the Crunch Lab; set or cap? 10-32 were you thinking of, I thought they were bigger than that.

I'd guess the set screws increase inductance a little bit, since there's more metal mass. But I can't tell.

Some people claim they can hear the difference between socket heads and slot heads. I'd like to administer a double blind to them.

Back
Top Bottom