What's the worst that could happen ???

mattseed

Inspired
Hi guys I have and AxeFXII and I had my favourite tone set which was a Soldano 100 right up to version 13 (I think or was it 12) when something about the amps changed and we were told to do an amp reset. Since then I havnt been able to replicate the same tone......I saved the preset without doing the amp reset which seems to keep the old version of the amp. Then side by side I have tried n tired but just can't get the same tone....and trust me I have tried everything tweak able. There's just something not quite so magic about it, it lacks a bit of (for the want of a better word) tube'ee'ness! My question is, what's the worst that can happen by not doing the amp reset. I'm not sure what's happening when you don't do the amp reset, is it still using version 13 (or was it 12) or what's going on. And the big question is, is it OK to carry on using it.....what's the downside ?

Thanks guys
Matthew

Hi guys I have and AxeFXII and I had my favourite tone set which was a Soldano 100 right up to version 13 (I think or was it 12) when something about the amps changed and we were told to do an amp reset. Since then I havnt been able to replicate the same tone......I saved the preset without doing the amp reset which seems to keep the old version of the amp. Then side by side I have tried n tired but just can't get the same tone....and trust me I have tried everything tweak able. There's just something not quite so magic about it, it lacks a bit of (for the want of a better word) tube'ee'ness! My question is, what's the worst that can happen by not doing the amp reset. I'm not sure what's happening when you don't do the amp reset, is it still using version 13 (or was it 12) or what's going on. And the big question is, is it OK to carry on using it.....what's the downside ?

Thanks guys
Matthew

http://forum.fractalaudio.com/axe-fx-ii-discussion/87380-slo-100-lead.html

read this

Easy, the down side is you don't get any of the goodies that cliff has added in the latest FW :(. Up side is your more or less done tweaking.

Amp reset only resets the settings in a patch to the defaults. If you have done an upgrade the new firmware totally replaces the old, there is no trace of the old FW left. You're just running the new FW with the old settings. There is a slight possibility of incompatibility between old presets in a new firmware, but if you haven't run into them yet, it's fine.

Incompatibilities like it not sounding right, blips, glitches, AxeFx resets or complete crashes when selecting the preset. No weird stuff is all good stuff.

You just won't have Cliff's SLO. You'll have the custom modded Mattseed signature SLO.

Last edited:
Reactions: yek
Thanks Dutch for making me feel a little better about doing this. So technically speaking if it's just settings that adjusted with that update, should it be the case that with tweaking I should be able to get it identical again. I have tried n tried and can not do it? Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does anyone know the answer to my early question......should it be that if the update that changed the presets when you do a reset, you can match up to a preset before the change.

If you copy all of the preset's settings they should be identical. Now there are many settings, so that takes a while.

Make a copy of the preset to another location. Strip everything except the amp, cab, compressors, EQs. Tone stuff. See what it sounds like then. Then put stuff in stand-by one by one. That should tell you what each block does and might help to dial it in.

Don't mind the trolls. Apparently they come included with the internet subscription.

You should be able to get the same sound with the SLO, however the settings on gain, bass, middle, treble, presence, MV, depth will most likely be different. I know you've heard it before but its true.....use your ears on this one.

What type of music are you playing?

For anything from heavy blues to Hard Rock my settings on the SLO (my main amp model atm) vary as follows:

Gain: 3.5 - 4 Bass: 6 Middle: 4 - 5 Treble: 2 - 3 Presence: 4 - 6 depth: 1.5 - 2.0 MV: 5 - 6

Cheers Dutch and ptgold much appreciated. I don't mind the trolls too much, it can be a bit fun but sometimes there like the piped piper and lead everyone astray. Ha ha.

I play classic rock to hard rock but not as far as metal tone. I love the SLO so much and it's an amp I've never played in real life (as it were) I will give it some tweaking and see how I get on guys.

Does anyone know the answer to my early question......should it be that if the update that changed the presets when you do a reset, you can match up to a preset before the change.

EVERY FW update has a caveat 'Your existing preset's tone may change'. Most of the time, it's for the better. Sometimes it works in reverse, and you have to redo the preset.

Consider every aspect. Perhaps the IR you used in earlier FW doesn't react well to the AMP upgrades...change 'em up. With all of the amps, I've never had problems with 'tubey' tones, but experiment with this amp; as I remember it's more preamp based, so crank that, and play with Master vol. Bump up SAG. Lots you can do there.

But my money is that if you tinkered with IR rather than amp you'd get there.

R

Reactions: yek
Sorry if I came across as trolling, I was just kind of going with the flow. ;)

I wasn't a user for v13 (I've had my XL about a month) but I noticed you mentioning the SLO-100 and, I can vouch for the fact that the most recent stable version as well as the new v16 Beta firmwares can replicate my SLO-100 (still my favorite amp and as much as I love my Axe-FX it's not going ANYWHERE) PERFECTLY.

I'm not in the studio right now, so I can't relate some of my settings, but I'm very very satisfied with the comparison.

Every time I've upgraded and had to tweak/rebuild my presets, they've always ended up better than they were before ;)

To the OP: there's no such thing as freezing your current preset when you upgrade the firmware. Firmware (depending on the version) upgrades stuff under the hood. So even when you don't do the "amp reset" routine, things may sound differently. It's how the system works. No way around that, except for not performing upgrades. BTW, I think the SLO sounds excellent in current firmware.

Back
Top Bottom