What's the word on version 11 firmware?

bleating about the modded plexi can be accomplished in a different thread. its not in the FW11.

I only had a chance to play a few chords into my go-to budda twinmaster patch last nigh and i was very happy with what I heard. A definite improvement there. Plus im psyched that ppl are having good results with the JCM800 I must have spent half a year trying to get that to play nice. I will give it say 10 minutes tonight - if magic doesnt happen, I am still really happy with the budda

I still have hope it'll be added. I'm sure Fractal isn't completely done with FW for the pre-II units.

as far as I'm concerned, I'll be busy getting to know the amp sims AGAIN since this update did a lot.
it's all good. very good.
If anyone would have told me before v11 that there'd be a significant change in the way the sims sound and feel, I'd have said no thank you, I'm happy.
But what happened here is amazing - the only fault was to condense it into one short sentence in the release notes apparently, but then again, your ears should tell you what the release notes didn't in detail: this is a game changer.

dial up a bassman + cab, do the same with a plexi sim. I almost feel sorry for people still owning and micing tube amps. No that's not right - I DO feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
Just got it fired up tonight.

I like it. Was actually going to start a new thread about my recent impression that my Mesa F-50 tube amp felt so much better and had that tube springy/breathing thing going way more than the Axe-Fx.
I was starting to wonder if I was doing something wrong in my setup.

FW 11.0 seems to be a marked improvement in tube amp feel for whatever reason and got rid of some harshness I was getting in many presets.

So far so good...............

Oh- and the JCM 800 does sound better.

Last edited:
as far as I'm concerned, I'll be busy getting to know the amp sims AGAIN since this update did a lot.
it's all good. very good.
If anyone would have told me before v11 that there'd be a significant change in the way the sims sound and feel, I'd have said no thank you, I'm happy.
But what happened here is amazing - the only fault was to condense it into one short sentence in the release notes apparently, but then again, your ears should tell you what the release notes didn't in detail: this is a game changer.

dial up a bassman + cab, do the same with a plexi sim. I almost feel sorry for people still owning and micing tube amps. No that's not right - I DO feel sorry for them.

And don't forget paying for tubes! I loved my 2 channel rectifier but the models sound better recorded and I don't have to replace 14 tubes every 2 years (which is what Mesa told me I would have to do)

Last edited:
I just looked at the source code for the 11.0 patch:

// patch begins
for i = 1 to 383
..begin
....preset.load();
....preset.flub = preset.flub * 0.5;
....preset.warm(10).percent;
....preset.save();
..end
end
global.blanket.remove(1).layer;
// end patch

That must be the Axe-PC version. The embedded code for the AxeFX is in C (guessing?). Here's the same code ported to C:

// Patch begins
for(i = 0; i<383; i++)
{
preset.load();
preset.flub *= 0.5;
preset.warmth = 10.0;
preset.save();
}
gbool_Blanket = FALSE;

I upgraded to v11 yesterday and the Axe immediately get a better response on the lows, like the one I usually have with a custom made valve amp I own. It's lovely.

I played with the new firmware only for 5 minutes, then I discovered something's wrong with v11 and the Liquid Foot tuner so I downgraded to 10.03.
Now I keep asking me "why this thing isn't tight as it used to be?" "oh, all right... downgrade....".

Bad marketing move I say! Release v.11 that makes my Axe sounding better than ever and, at the same time, trying to convince me to buy a new Axe? I don't think so! ;)

Just installed v11 and gave it a quick test drive. Difference is not night and day to me, but definitely noticeable. First thing I noticed is actually the top end - the JCM 800 sim, for example, has a smoother top end with less "crackle," if that makes sense. Dig it.

Mike

Well put. Smoother high transients, less spikey highs. Perfect for what I'm going for.

iceable. First thing I noticed is actually the top end - the JCM 800 sim, for example, has a smoother top end with less "crackle," if that makes sense. Dig it.

Mike

Bad marketing move I say! Release v.11 that makes my Axe sounding better than ever and, at the same time, trying to convince me to buy a new Axe? I don't think so! ;)

Don't think Cliff is going to need to convince anyone to buy the new axe, nor is he trying IMO. If he says the new code sounds better I believe him. True, I have never been happier with my Ultra after this update, but I will relish the day I have an axeII or III for my studio needs. My Ultra will be my permanent road dog. All will be TONEfull!!!

Or... you can also look at it this way:
If some of the G2 modeling technique can make such a difference
imagine what the entire G2 technique can do.

:eek:

Back
Top Bottom