What's the weirdest guitar you own?

Budda

Axe-Master
In terms of configuration, the farthest from "conventional"?

For me it's probably a no-name custom build that is parts PRS, Gibson and ESP. It sounds like a Les Paul though, which is what I want and expect from it. Debating trying HB sized P90s in it to try and tame some low end (massive sub-200hZ boost). I realize this is not super unconventional but it's my weirdest one!

I'll snap a pic tomorrow.

What's your oddball?

Nothing really weird, so to speak, but my 3rd (I think?) guitar: It's an Epiphone LP Special 2 that I bought for $20 in 1997

Since then I've put Planet Waves locking tuners on it, an EMG-81 (and routed a battery compartment), Dunlop Straplocks, replaced the bridge, a Graphtech nut, all new electronics, and then eventually swapped out the EMG for a JB. I'm pretty sure it's got a broken truss rod, and the body is actually made out of ply wood. The screws for the battery compartment were sticking out of the front of the guitar for like, 15 years (more than one person has cut their hand on them). There's Bondo on the headstock from where I screwed up drilling out the tuning machine holes, and the battery compartment cover broke so I basically just used electrical tape on the back to keep the battery in place.

It's a hot dumpster fire. But it has crazy sentimental value to me. It's been used in almost every band I've been in, and honestly sounded better than it had any right to (again, a plywood body).

A gift from a dear friend... a white Gibson SGJ. Weird part? Signed by the three members of the Free Credit Report.Com Band. I’m guessing there’s not many of those in circulation. :oops:

Not really weird but AFAIK extremely rare: a Gibson CS Peter Frampton LP Special (3 P90s). It has a pilot run serial number, I don’t know if it ever went into regular production at all.

A gift from a dear friend... a white Gibson SGJ. Weird part? Signed by the three members of the Free Credit Report.Com Band. I’m guessing there’s not many of those in circulation. :oops:

I almost bought a white SGJ, then it sold after I went home. Would have been cool, but I'm not choked about it.

You and I may be the only two people on earth with one of these Glissandos ...........Ive struggled to get a decent sound out of it...
For me the key was switching to rope-wound strings, that gets rid of a lot of the grit and squeak you’d get from sliding around.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom