What's the ugliest piece of gear you've ever seen/owned?

Rane

Experienced
Thread title says it all. I'll start:

I was on Reverb the other day and ran across this hideous little channel strip from Focusrite. Released in 1997. Dear lord is it awful.
kkb06llkxwc5f1lpglpu.jpg

What other sorts of eye-rotting gear do you guys have?

nedstark.jpg

When I was a kid I was an electronic hobbyist. My first string instrument was a Bandurria from my father (Spanish instrument of the lute family with six pairs of double strings) that inspired me to learn the Smoke on The Water riff. I coupled it with a microphone (stolen from a vandalized public telephone😅) and connected it to the power section of a radio. Later I built a distortion circuit with two transistors. No PCB or connection terminals; plain point-to-point soldering with the components floating in the space (these old Ge transistors had very long legs). It made a hell of a noise, so I wrapped it with kitchen foil and aluminum foil.

I didn't even had shielded wire. All wires were also wrapped with aluminum foil. And no jacks: everything directly soldered

No pictures. There were no smartphones or cheap cameras in 1974. But I don't think you could beat the ugliness of that 😂

Last edited:
I had an ES-345 that someone took to a van paint shop and painted with pinstripes and garish colors on the front, and on the back was an airbrushed mural of a bikini-clad woman under a coconut tree on a tiny desert island. The back of the neck was painted with a glossy black enamel paint. They didn’t mask the F-holes well so there was overspray in them. Its only real redeeming feature was the set of real PAFs in it.

I’ve wished I kept it and had it stripped and repainted, maybe like a Gibson “Black Beauty” Les Paul Custom.

Last edited:
The ugliest piece of gear I own is my second favorite guitar of all time (the Messenger was my first) and I use to own some expensive guitars. Warmoth partscaster with a Duncan Custom Custom in the bridge and a Dimarzio at the neck. Stetsbar trem. I call in "Ugly Ole Blue" becaause it's ugly, it's my oldest guitar, and it used to be blue.C3971985-7284-48CD-85B7-6337CFC972CE_1_201_a.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom