What's the single thing you like most about the Axe FX?

As a beginner to intermediate player my single reason has changed over the last 4 years.

Initial Phase: Having multiple amps, cabs, and effects at my fingertips and the ability to play them at low volume with high volume results.

Middle Phase: Having multiple amps, cabs, and effects at my fingertips and learning the history and workings of the signal chain as I continued developing playing skills. In other words, the educational aspects.

Current Phase: Having EVEN MORE amps, cabs, and effects at my fingertips and the ability to both clone tone* and wander off into territory all of my own making. In other words, versatility and possibilities only limited by my imagination and/or skills.

* That just came to me while writing this. Come on FAS... It's so much more catchy than "tone matching" The "clone tone" block!!!!! :D

#1 for me is getting the same quality tone throughout the volume spectrum. I've rocked the headphones after midnight while everyone in the house was asleep and I've got head to head with half stacks. That was the compelling reason to give up my Two Rock (whose tone I still haven't yet copped :() for the Ultra three years ago.

Ridiculous versatility and a virtual end to amp/pedal GAS is just the icing on the cake.

Range of tones, and portability.

I tried picking up my Mesa-Boogie DC-10 combo the other to move it across the room. I have now decided that it is just going to have to crumble away to dust EXACTLY where it is sitting right now... Now way I am risking my back like that again!

Reactions: jon
I'd personally would have loved the axe to have a little less rack 'depth'.

+1

I had to retire the most brilliant $2500 road-case in the world, custom built for me out of ultra lightweight aluminum honeycomb panel because of the depth of the rack :( (it didn't cheer me up either when I saw that most of it was empty inside the box). But at the end of the day that was a small cost to pay for the convenience and sound quality.

I think the greatest thing about the Axe is that it "allows" me to use FRFR speakers. Now most people think about it the other way around as in the FRFR being a "substitute" for a quad box. From a sound dispersal point of view quad boxes are fucken terrible, they are bloody big and heavy and have a sonic spread of about 2 degrees so if you are directly in front of them you get your ears ripped off and anywhere else is a muffled drone. The only thing they do well is the actual tone. Now take something like a set of QSC KW122s, you get lightweight portability, crystal clear sound with a spread of about 80 degrees. You can walk around the stage and hear yourself everywhere (those of you without wireless are yet to discover what your rig actually sounds like anyway so please refrain from comment :)) and the Axe gives you the tone.

Cheers Simon ( 0 )===:::

I play way more than ever, its very inspiring, and reading this message board gave me a new hobby, sad but true; well it is fun going to a place "where everyone knows yer name" and we all essentially have one common religion. It's healthier than booze, and no one else in my life knows what an IR or B+ trim excursion bias parameter is (hey wait neither do I? but its fun to turn them knobs). Oh and to quote one of our awesome new contributees, Fractal is the "goodest".

Customizationaversatabilitinesses. :D(and the front panel glow makes my Pop-Tarts look cool)
And I thought there wouldn't be any way a Pop-Tart comment could make it into this thread
25bangin.gif
:lol

One small portable rig to play any kind of music convincingly, that is consistent and reliable.

Actually it's being able to do complex routing with extra noise or ground loops etc. It's the best

The ability to gig with half a dozen different amps. This is surprising, because I actually bought it for the quality of the effects.

An update to the mention of the music store owner that I was talking to a few weeks back. Tony is his name and he owns Mosses Lake Music here in WA. I brought my complete Ultra rig over and let him play through it yesterday and he was floored at how well it sounded. Funny thing is after talking with him the last time he actually went and put him self on the list for an Axe ll without any demoing.

So now he can't hardly wait to get his hands on the Axe, we went through all the normal BS with factory presets and stuff that I had dialed in or tweaked from a factory setting. The smile that was on his face as he played through some of the presets was priceless. I quickly walked him through a how to basic amp and cab preset and he couldn't believe how fast we were able to dial up a Bogner tone. His favorite was a variation of the Organic preset that I had setup to morph over to a Marsha HB so you could play over the top of it, that sent him into orbit.

Afterwords we sat and talked for a wile and he was talking about how the band he plays in is all using IEM except him and the hard time he is having hearing the stage mix. once I showed him the way I had my rig setup to run with monitor sends he was ecstatic. So in short another tube purest has swallowed a whole pitcher of Kool Aid :lol.

"Single most" is hard...but I've stopped buying/looking for pedals/amp gear, I'll only buy guitars now. Selling everything more than paid for the AXE II.

Back
Top Bottom