What's the "one thing" I should try?

I have had Fractals since the Ultra days, but only recently I went "back in time" to try a clean or almost clean amp with a classic drive pedal in front of it. Much more beefy and "breathing" sound than most preamp/master volume or high gain amps. The JTM 45 and the 4-knob Tube Driver or OCD sounds amazing. Fuzzes sound fantastic too, obviously this is the scenario that they were invented for. Wish I had tried this earlier.

When playing modern metal: Use a Multiband Comp to tame the low end buildup when chugging (the Andy Sneap trick) and compress the highs if they get too shrill, depending on your rig in the same block. Thats solving two problems with one block.
Using the multicomp to polish the highend is more flexible than fixed high cut on amp/cab.

I have had Fractals since the Ultra days, but only recently I went "back in time" to try a clean or almost clean amp with a classic drive pedal in front of it. Much more beefy and "breathing" sound than most preamp/master volume or high gain amps. The JTM 45 and the 4-knob Tube Driver or OCD sounds amazing. Fuzzes sound fantastic too, obviously this is the scenario that they were invented for. Wish I had tried this earlier.
Yeah....that's kind of what I do. I'm very much more into classic sounds than modern ones. At least right now, I'm preferring just the natural preamp boost that comes on along with post-amp filter for shaping + level for a lead boost. But, that's generally what I like in separate gear too. Unfortunately, the FM3 doesn't the variable input impedance, so fuzzes and the Treble Booster don't work right.

I don't think I've ever even really played a high-gain amp. Unless you count the (FAS) Supertweed....which gets the distortion I want with the gain on 1. (That amp confuses me, but I like it)

I am occasionally using a MV amp that I actually like for the first time....the CA3+ Clean with the gain basically all the way up sounds awesome.

When playing modern metal: Use a Multiband Comp to tame the low end buildup when chugging (the Andy Sneap trick) and compress the highs if they get too shrill, depending on your rig in the same block. Thats solving two problems with one block.
Using the multicomp to polish the highend is more flexible than fixed high cut on amp/cab.
That's a cool idea. I don't play metal, though.

You can use rubber bands to turn your exp pedal into a spring loaded pedal. I converted an old crybaby. Love it. Auto engage is awesome. I wrap the rubber bands to hold it heel down. Saw a video on the tube, a guy was cutting up inner tubes and using those. I tried that and they just broke on me after a short while.
I use bungy cord, about 3mm - works well and has never broken. Perfect for the quality FAS exp pedals.

I could give a lot of answers. For me, one essential thing to take you to "the next level" would be a working understanding of Input EQ and Output EQ in the amp block.
+1

I haven’t really had to touch the advanced parameters since the AX8 (haven’t really needed to) and just recently started to dive into them. Those are very overlooked tools if you’re trying to really dial in your tone.

I could give a lot of answers. For me, one essential thing to take you to "the next level" would be a working understanding of Input EQ and Output EQ in the amp block.

I spent some time making a preset tonight. I hadn’t touched the input eq yet, but your post reminded me to have a look. It’s a good tool for sure.

Back
Top Bottom