What's the most unique pedal you own/use?

I don't use anything other than the Axe-Fx, but I wish it had a polyphonic Mel9 block in it. I have to use my Roland GR-55 for string parts with the band. (Something that could easily do piano and organ emulation would also be nice in the Axe-Fx.)

Death by Audio Fuzz War
zvex Fat Fuzz Factory
DOD FX75B flanger

Trying to match the FX75B with my AFX III flanger but it’s not close enough so far. That’s a really nice flanger.

EHX B9 Organ Machine - nothing else like it.

Except for the C9, Bass9, Key9, Synth9 and Mel9 of course. :p

Seriously though, I was really pissed when after buying my B9 pedal EHX came out with the C9 and all the others. I wanted one pedal that could do all the keyboard tones I wanted, not a whole series of them. I would not have bought the B9 if I had known there would be more of these pedals coming.

As for my most unique pedal I have, The King of Gear Mini Glitch. Which is a pedal to recreate Jonny Greenwood's random stutter tones on Radiohead's Go To Sleep. A bit of a one trick pony that I haven't found a use for yet, as I don't play original music at this moment, only tribute stuff. But a good one trick pony nonetheless.

i was using a Hologram Electronics Infinite Jets for a while. nice pedal. i've just put it up for sale, as i'm getting something else really special

Folks, unique means "the only one of its kind." No mass produced production pedal is unique.

For every "unique" pedal you show me I'll show you a universe of unique Axe-Fx presets.

By that logic only some DIY pedal created by some obscure DIY guy on some DIY forum qualifies.

While I understand the logic that mass produced pedals are not unique, unless they are obscure one of a kind DIY all pedals are mass produced. It seems far more workable to define unique as a pedal that does something that 99.9% of all the other pedals out there don't do. I'm sure there are some really rare tubescreamer, fuzz face and big muff clones there, maybe even unique ones, but they're not doing anything that's unique soundwise.

A unique pedal is something that it does that most others don't. Like the Mel9, Mimiq pedal isn't unique but it definitely satisfies a niche, the FreqOut/Boss Feedback/Fender Feedback stuff, or combination pedals like the Dark Side or whatever. Basically the esoteric and obscure, more or less.

AFX maybe can do all that but where's the presets to enable it?

Folks, unique means "the only one of its kind." No mass produced production pedal is unique.

Unfortunately, the phrase “most unique” seems to be creeping into the lexicon. It makes no sense. That’s like being a “little bit pregnant” :).

For every "unique" pedal you show me I'll show you a universe of unique Axe-Fx presets.

I wish I had pictures of the first DIY pedals I made when I was a pre-teen. My first distortion unit with two AC128 transistors canibalized from a radio. Point to point wiring on the air (no money or skills for a PCB). Isolated with tape and wrapped with kitchen aluminum foil to cut EMI (I learnt what EMI was when I first connected it and heard the unbearable noise). I didn't even had a guitar then. I started playing with a Bandurria that belonged to my father, with a microphone attached with tape (a microphone stolen from a vandalized public phone), no jacks - all cables soldered directly. The amp was an old transistor radio with a connection hacked at the audio stage.

The tone was like a can of bees, but I learnt to play the Smoke on the Water and the Black Sabbath riffs on that 18th century instrument with 12 strings

Last edited:
I’ve owned the FreqOut, WMD Geiger Counter PRO, Mel9, and Meris Enzo, all at some point with the AxeFX3. Sold them all, As I spent more time playing with what is in the box. I keep some fuzz pedals around for fun now, nothing exciting here.

I've been able to get a lot out of my AxeFX 3 but I still picked up a few very unique pedals that I don't think I can do with the AFX3 very easily. Here's what I use:

Do you like to use any special pedals?
Is the Fender Runaway Feedback better than the Freqout? It seems to be based on the Softube Acoustic Feedback Plugin
https://www.softube.com/af
which I have, but I am not very convinced of it, but maybe I should have spent more time with it...

Back
Top Bottom