what's the most transparent drive boost pedal we have in the II?

kmanick

Fractal Fanatic
I have a couple of patches dialed in exactly how I like them but they could be a touch hotter
when switching to lead but I don't want any mid boost or bottom cut etc, I just need to bring on the heat
a little bit to get a little more of that "liquidy feel"
which drive pedal is the most transparent to throw in front of the brit brown amp sim?
I don't want to change the EQ really at all when it kicks on

Last edited:
Just use a flat Parametric EQ and increase the setting of the level parameter. Of course if you want more gain, you can always start with a flatter pedal like the FET boost and modify the advanced parameters like Hi-Cut/Lo-Cut to use the full EQ range. Tweak to taste.

I have not tried that last part, but it sounds like it may fit what you want.

The most transparent boost is the Input Trim on the amp block. You can also give the Boost parameter a try. If you're already maxing both of those, you can put a null filter in front of the amp sim.

Either of these options will be flatter than any drive pedal.

I would like to suggest that you add a modifier to the input trim to turn it up a little for leads. Works great for me.

I found the, "fet boost" to be with the, "clip type" set to "null". My go to drive and setting. The clip type is the key to transparency here but may not deliver enough drive for the user.

+1 for Filter block, with Type = Null.

Insert the Filter block after AMP and CAB for clean volume boost, or before the AMP block to push its input section.

For clean volume boost, try Gain values from 3 dB to 6 dB.

If you're looking for a solo boost that really cuts thru the mix, try a Mid-Boost approach: Type = Peaking, with Freq = ~700 Hz and Q = ~350.

I would like to suggest that you add a modifier to the input trim to turn it up a little for leads. Works great for me.

i like this idea-can you assign a modifier to an IA this way or make it switchable? Trying to keep it simple. :)

Thanks!

Yes, you can assign a modifier to Input Trim, Boost, Level on a filter block...lots of stuff.

thanks for the suggestions, I want to keep it set to a drive pedal though as I have my mfc all set up already
I'll give the fet boost a try

thanks for the suggestions, I want to keep it set to a drive pedal though as I have my mfc all set up already
I'll give the fet boost a try
If you decide to try the other options, you can assign their bypass to your existing Drive footswitch.

If I find the if I need some more 'transparent' drive in front of my amp I just put another amp in front of my amp.

Why, you ask?

Because I can!!!

Thanx Cliff and Co.!!!

Seriously. I had a preset on my Ultra with two JCM's in series. I read somewhere that 'The Reverand' used to do that. I had it sounding pretty good. It sounded nothing like him though. Ha!

Seriously though, besides the null filter or a GEQ or a PEQ just set to boost. I would say the FET boost is the most transparent with no clip type.

Back
Top Bottom