What's the longest you've left your Axe-FX running for?

USMC_Trev

Axe-Master
I'm paranoid about leaving gear like this running. Although I leave my MacBook Pro running for weeks at a time, if it dies its easily enough replaced, particularly with Time Machine. However, my Axe-FX II is a bit more difficult, so I'm concerned that it shouldn't be left running too long otherwise something is going to break.

What kind of lifespan do these things really have in terms of mean time before failure? What's the longest you've left it running without issue?

Trying a new approach which includes being less OCD about leaving stuff running.

Oh and showing off my new custom Carvin HH that I just picked up from the factory showroom yesterday. I ordered it in April and it was done two weeks early! Oh and it plays as buttery as it looks.

Its electronics. Its more likely to break when you turn it on/off a lot rather than just leave it running. Not that the AFX is likely to break then either - just speaking generally. Applying and removing electricity to electronic components is the most stressful to them - leaving them in one state or the other is far preferable, and lets face it you wouldn't leave you AFX off..

paulmapp nailed it. Silicon wafers (that the Axe is made of) "twist" when turned on. And all the capacitors have a much longer life being charged. The only part that is maybe sensitive to long life use is the display. Maybe around 10.000 hours. And then you are toast.

Leave it on. More stressed turning it on and off.

My Metric Halo 2882 interface has been on for at least a year.

I liken it to your typical computer. The only moving parts are the fans and the hard drive. In my opinion those are the most likely to go south, all other conditions being equal.

That being said, if the Axe is new (in warranty), I might leave it on for extended periods just in case an unknown fault makes itself known.

The only part that is maybe sensitive to long life use is the display. Maybe around 10.000 hours. And then you are toast.

This is not correct. 6 years at 5 hours per day and your display dies? No. Touring musicians would be in serious trouble. At this rate my Display will be 'toast' in 1 year 8 months and I have only had my unit for 30 days.
I don't have a guess but if I had to it would be closer to 100,000 or more. In all my years with musical equipment, even displays form the 80s my Yamaha Rev 5 Reverbs are still going strong. May Fractal can provide the actual meantime if one exists. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom