What's the longest time you've spent learning a song and getting it right?

Still working on the 1st one - problem is I get so tired of hearing myself "learn" a given piece. Some songs are much too precious for me to ruin by trying to learn them on guitar.

Did the same thing to learn the solo to Highway Star back in the '70s. 16 rpm, if I remember correctly, was the speed for the language learning records; it might have had other uses as well.
It amazes me that back in the 70's that we actually learned anything on the guitar! Learning stuff at half speed (16rpm) was at best a bit of a chore. People today dont know that they are born with forums, internet lessons, Youtube etc etc. I often think, would I be a better guitarist now compared to back in the 70's when I firstly picked up a guitar? I'd say, probably not, as I've had years of internet opportunities to learn from. LOL
The one thing that makes me smile about this thread as a whole is that everybody must be in the same boat. I just tend to see people with a guitar and automatically think that they will be better than me, but now I'm thinking I'm no different to most people on here.
I'll keep on learning new stuff as long as I have blood in my veins and hope I can get a few "tricky" (to me) guitar parts learned before I pop my clogs. Not to soon I hope!

I often think, would I be a better guitarist now compared to back in the 70's when I firstly picked up a guitar? I'd say, probably not, as I've had years of internet opportunities to learn from.
I just tend to see people with a guitar and automatically think that they will be better than me, but now I'm thinking I'm no different to most people on here.
I'll keep on learning new stuff as long as I have blood in my veins and hope I can get a few "tricky" (to me) guitar parts learned before I pop my clogs.

Dixie, I totally identify with this. (I first picked up a guitar in the 80's, not the 70's, but otherwise....)

Now, as it happens, I do think I'd have been a bit better if, back in about 1990, someone had sat me down with Troy Grady to help me understand my own picking technique, and Uncle Ben Eller to tell me why I suck at guitar. :p I think I wasted a lot of time never quite understanding my pick-escape issues, and writing it off as solely a consequence of insufficient quickness of my whole nervous system. (I've never been terribly co-ordinated at sports, either.)

Now, don't get me wrong: I still believe that my nerves don't twitch quite as quickly as other peoples': Depending on the day, 600 n.p.m. is my practical limit even for tremolo picking a single note, and I get the impression that's kinda slow.:cry: (If I flail uncontrolledly I can go higher, but for neatly grouped sixteenths and sextuplets, 600 n.p.m. is about the best I can do, playing with a metronome.)

But what's crazy is that as soon as I recognized that I was using a "downstroke escape" (upward pickslant) motion, and that all the others felt bizarre and uncomfortable to me, it explained the difference between the scale-sequences that I could play at 550 n.p.m., and the ones that just ground to a halt at 400 n.p.m. And, by reworking the latter ones to start on an upstroke (or an extra note at the beginning to change pick direction), suddenly those patterns sped up to 450 n.p.m. If that had happened when I was twenty or thirty, instead of when I'm fifty, I think there might have been more artistic freedom and less discouragement along the way. I think that could have made some difference.

But, yeah, I have had plenty of opportunities. And I didn't need to let discouragement get in my way. That's on me.

I totally identify with this statement, also: "I just tend to see people with a guitar and automatically think that they will be better than me...." Now, part of that's realistic: There just ARE people online who seem to have that slightly-faster muscle-twitch than I, or who figured out the pickslanting thing earlier, or who just naturally played with a better mechanic from the outset. But, a lot of folks on here are just trying to muddle through without the benefit of mutant nerve cells! ;)

And, although it's a cliché, we (or, at least, I) have to remember: Although the inability to play certain songs/riffs does, objectively, present an obstacle to certain (rather fun) forms of musical expression, and although that's a slight downer, the fact remains: There are so many, MANY other forms of musical expression that lie under the 600 n.p.m. "shred barrier" that, really, we shouldn't feel very constrained at all. Especially since, beyond that barrier, very few listeners' ears can even distinguish what's going on!

At least, I keep reminding myself of that. One of these days, I'll be able maintain that attitude, even while listening to my guitar heroes blazing their way through some monster run or other, and be able to respond with pure enjoyment unmixed by wistfulness.

Baby steps.

Last edited:
Paul Gilbert once explained a very cool idea he uses for coming up with riffs: He'd just beat out some type of rhythmic beat with his hands, then use that as the basis for matching music to it. Dude's obviously a freak on guitar, but he's also quite thoughtful in how he gets his ideas.

Dave Grohl has confessed to doing something similar. Don't mean a thing if it ain't go that swing. :)

I also feel that Nuno's insanely percussive playing style has a lot to due with him originally being a drummer.

Dave Grohl has confessed to doing something similar. Don't mean a thing if it ain't go that swing.
Maybe he got the idea from PG...?
:)

I also feel that Nuno's insanely percussive playing style has a lot to due with him originally being a drummer.
Huh. I didn't know that. I saw Extreme at Hammerjacks back in the day, and their brothers' band opened for them (Nuno's bro was the drummer, and Gary's was the guitarist iirc), and they had the most awesome songs! Dude played a red LP.

I've been trying to learn Zakk Wylde and Slash solos since I got my 1st guitar Christmas 1990. I've been trying to learn the solo to Miracle Man, Mr. Brownstone and Sweet Child O' Mine but my fingers just aren't long enough. The solo in Walk is another solo is wish I could learn.

Maybe he got the idea from PG...?

Huh. I didn't know that. I saw Extreme at Hammerjacks back in the day, and their brothers' band opened for them (Nuno's bro was the drummer, and Gary's was the guitarist iirc), and they had the most awesome songs! Dude played a red LP.

Nuno is a beast. He can do it all.

Haha! Yup. Even those who originally played and wrote those parts often did that live.
Anyone who thinks they also didn't want to step out, and not by chained to exactness
is probably kidding themselves. :)

I was a bit of an hired gun for a bit and it was not unheard of me for me to have
to learn 30 or 40 songs in a week. One time I had 2 days. Here's our list, can you
fill in on Saturday and it is Thursday night. There was simply no way I was going
to be exact in those settings. I found out it wasn't needed. Yeah, you better nail
the signature licks and riffs, and have the chord progression and changes down.
But if you played a different inversion of a chord, or wanked in the original key
signature of E minor it was all good.
I found years ago that if you gigged a lot, you got a bit of a sense of how to partially learn solos (mainly to save time practicing) so that all but the guitarists in the audience swear you are playing it perfectly. Most of the really fast technical stuff can be simplified as long as it is in the right scale and key. I used to play the melodic first part of the solo in Separate Ways twice instead of the shreddy section, and I never heard a single complaint.

My home church asked me to perform Lincoln Brewster's Miraculum a few years ago, and I woodshedded that for at least an hour a day for several months. I barely hung on the first time I played it, but the next few times got much easier. The only issue I have with it now is when the drummer decides to speed up. I've never been a shred guitarist, but that tune made me adopt a lot of the techniques and learn the style. I really crave challenges like that, the imminent possibility of public humiliation onstage is a great motivation. :)

Paul Gilbert's Fuzz Universe for me. Not much of a technical player so I decided to pick this song up to work on my speed and accuracy, especially string skipping.

I can play most of it at about 80% speed before it starts getting sloppy. Been at it on/off a few years now.

A few come to mind:
Dream Theater - "Take The Time"; brutal. No matter which way to play some of those leads is correct, it's brutal.

Toto - "Jake To The Bone"; following in the footsteps of Lukather is almost never easy. Even getting some of this right was a real step forward for me as a guitar player.

Ozzy - "No More Tears"; I only realised how it's really played by listening to the isolated guitar tracks on YouTube. Once I got it down it was super fun to play. So much nuance.

Toto - "Jake To The Bone"; following in the footsteps of Lukather is almost never easy. Even getting some of this right was a real step forward for me as a guitar player.

One of my favorite solos from one of my favorite players. I got to the 80%ish mark on that one and called it good. That whole album is fantastic, as is Candyman.

The problem I always run into with learning stuff is I'd much rather spend the effort understanding 'why' someone played something, instead of learning 'what' they played. 'what' they played is constraining, 'why' they played it is liberating. To do it verbatim doesn't really bring me any satisfaction, but to approach it with the mindset of the player is where my real passion lies. And like others have said, sometimes that means not playing exactly the same thing, and seldom does the audience really even care.

Back
Top Bottom