What's the fate of the Cab-Lab with regards to III?

Will it not be needed at all with the new upcoming Axe Edit?
Apologies if I missed it in some other thread.
Thanks
How is Axe Edit relevant? It would merely be an "interface" to the Axe Fx III.

Cab Lab has capabilities that are not part of the Cab block on the Axe Fx III.

I happened to own II XL+ for 2 weeks before III came out and I had purchased the Cab-Lab for it. Once I returned my XL+ and ordered III I attempted to return cab-lab as well since there were rumors that III / AXE edit will have that functionality. The response from FAS sales was that while that might be the case (not confirmed) the software purchases are non-refundable.

III has some of cab mixing functionality and I don't see any reason why the Cab-Lab functionality cannot be included intothe Axe Edit if FAS wanted to do so. In the end both are nothing but the software modules running on your PC. Whether it would be a good move from marketing perspective on FAS part is a different story.

I happened to own II XL+ for 2 weeks before III came out and I had purchased the Cab-Lab for it. Once I returned my XL+ and ordered III I attempted to return cab-lab as well since there were rumors that III / AXE edit will have that functionality. The response from FAS sales was that while that might be the case (not confirmed) the software purchases are non-refundable.

III has some of cab mixing functionality and I don't see any reason why the Cab-Lab functionality cannot be included intothe Axe Edit if FAS wanted to do so. In the end both are nothing but the software modules running on your PC. Whether it would be a good move from marketing perspective on FAS part is a different story.
The III has a limited ability to mix up to 4 cabs in the box. CabLab can do a lot more...

I'm very active here and have not seen any "rumors" about anything beyond what is already there in the Axe Fx III. That's what I meant by "reference"... Where did you read/hear those rumors?

Doesn't mean it couldn't happen, though...

At the same time I have not seen any indication that Cab-Lab is being adapted to work with the III. Have you? I might have missed that.
The description of the new Axe Edit features on FAS website ends with
  • And much more…
Makes you think...

At the same time I have not seen any indication that Cab-Lab is being adapted to work with the III. Have you? I might have missed that.
The description of the new Axe Edit features on FAS website ends with
  • And much more…
Makes you think...
Ok, so far you've mentioned "indications" and "rumors" but you haven't provided any reference to those.

If you're basing assumptions on the fact that CabLab isn't updated for Axe Fx III yet and that little quote from the Axe Edit description, I think you are making quite a reach...

Ok, I only asked a question and the only thing I've figured so far is that you don't know the answer.

Your assumption of Axe Edit being "merely an interface" into the III sort of contradicts with what Cliff has been saying that it is very well worth the wait so I'm not sure that this was only in reference to the things you can already do from the device panel. The fact that III can only mix up to 4 cabs and do less than Cab-Lab does is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the capabilities that the new Axe Edit software may or may not have.

My assumption (quite a stretch, agreed) is based on slight indication given by FAS sales and the fact that there has not been a word said about Cab-Lab working with the III so far. Unless you can provide a reference.

Ok, I only asked a question and the only thing I've figured so far is that you don't know the answer.

Your assumption of Axe Edit being "merely an interface" into the III sort of contradicts with what Cliff has been saying that it is very well worth the wait so I'm not sure that this was only in reference to the things you can already do from the device panel. The fact that III can only mix up to 4 cabs and do less than Cab-Lab does is irrelevant since it has nothing to do with the capabilities that the new Axe Edit software may or may not have.

My assumption (quite a stretch, agreed) is based on slight indication given by FAS sales and the fact that there has not been a word said about Cab-Lab working with the III so far. Unless you can provide a reference.
Have it your way... I'm merely trying to give you input. You seem to think you know more, so feel free to ignore it.

You are operating on conjecture, I'm operating on 5+ years of experience.

Axe Edit operates in a client-server mechanism with the Axe Fx II. It's already been stated that the Axe Fx III has continued to evolve this mechanism, so the likelyhood of Axe Edit III being more than an interface is very low.

I respect your experience and your opinion. Still would like to hear from someone familiar with the matter more than you and me combined. A simple statement from beta-testers of FAS that Cab-Lab will or will not work with III would be more than sufficient. Believe me I would love Cab-Lab to work with the new unit since I own the software.

I see no reason Ibanez can't build piezo saddles into their tremolo bridges... but they don't.

This is actually a terrible metaphor, as I trust Cliff to not be profit motivated in the same way that Ibanez clearly is, but my point is that both you and I wish vendors would do things that they don't do. If I want piezo saddles in my guitars, I can look elsewhere, or try to build my own. If you don't like the choices Fractal makes, you can look for other vendors, or try to roll your own.

I see no reason Ibanez can't build piezo saddles into their tremolo bridges... but they don't.

This is actually a terrible metaphor, as I trust Cliff to not be profit motivated in the same way that Ibanez clearly is, but my point is that both you and I wish vendors would do things that they don't do. If I want piezo saddles in my guitars, I can look elsewhere, or try to build my own. If you don't like the choices Fractal makes, you can look for other vendors, or try to roll your own.

This, actually, is a terrible analogy. FAS could be not doing Axe Edit or Cab-Lab... but they do both.

And I guess I have to clarify my “bad marketing move on FAS part” statement since it is (erroneously) being interpreted as complaining. What I meant was that FAS might start providing some functionality that users used to pay for (Cab-Lab) in the free software (Axe Edit) which means less profit for FAS. But would be more joy for the new users which is still very important for FAS.

I would like to believe that FAS is somewhat profit-motivated and have enough of a profit to continue developing great products.

Now if you have some other irrelevant facts about what other vendors could be doing while they don’t then fire them away, I don’t mind at all.

Meanwhile I’m waiting for a simple clarification from someone who actually used the new Axe Edit software or knows plans for Cab-Lab.

Wouldn't live mode work regardless? You could still audition mixes that way, save them to file and load them into the 3 with Fractal bot?

Cliff just stated in another thread that Cab Lab will be updated for the Axe FX III as soon as they are done with the new Axe Edit.

Back
Top Bottom