Whats the deal with James Tyler guitars?

Romo82

Experienced
Not talking about the Line 6 Variax guitars but his stand-alone models. I've seen a few pop up on Reverb with obscene asking prices that I dont understand. Anyone have some insight on them or why they are so much?

I owned a couple about 10-15 years ago. Great guitars, definitely got their own thing going own, tons of mojo. They have become really expensive though (as you noted). James actually almost quit a while back (for health reasons), and after that the prices increased. But then again, so has other boutique brands.

I have heard multiple people say that they are excellent guitars. I have never encountered one in person.

Great guitars by all accounts - but the ugliest headstock in the world IMO.
Oh I don’t know about that, I’ve seen some truly munting headstock designs over the years. The JT one puts me in mind of the Guerilla guitars headstock which I also detest and puts me right off trying one which is a shame as I like to support domestic builders.

So am I correct that there’s no exotic materials in use like composites, alloys etc.? What makes them worth double or triple the price of a Suhr/Anderson/PRS Library/Knaggs guitar? I’m not looking to grind on them I just want to understand if it’s a “Crypto” valuation or I’m missing the golden thread.

Not talking about the Line 6 Variax guitars but his stand-alone models. I've seen a few pop up on Reverb with obscene asking prices that I dont understand. Anyone have some insight on them or why they are so much?
Boutique guitars. Bout sums it up.

I've wondered this too, because they seem awesome in so many ways. I love that you can get an HSS Studio Elite or Ultimate Weapon, and they have 22 frets with fantastic upper fret access. But the prices? Boggle the mind.

Suhr/Anderson/PRS Library/Knaggs are boutique though and these prices are boutique of the boutique! I just cant consolidate it in my mind at those prices. I cant imagine what a guitar must be like to ask that price without any significant feature and if it is just due to the build and feel then I must try one because I've played many guitars costing half as much, or more, that are incredible.

Its like when I saw a $79 steak on a menu and I couldn't imagine how nice a $79 steak must be. I've had $30/40 steaks that were delicious so what's it like if its twice the price? I ordered the $79 steak and it was nice. Just nice.

Suhr/Anderson/PRS Library/Knaggs are boutique though and these prices are boutique of the boutique! I just cant consolidate it in my mind at those prices. I cant imagine what a guitar must be like to ask that price without any significant feature and if it is just due to the build and feel then I must try one because I've played many guitars costing half as much, or more, that are incredible.

Its like when I saw a $79 steak on a menu and I couldn't imagine how nice a $79 steak must be. I've had $30/40 steaks that were delicious so what's it like if its twice the price? I ordered the $79 steak and it was nice. Just nice.
High demand, limited supply. That's how the market works. They're that expensive, because people are willing to pay that much.

I think 3 of 4 of the brands you listed are way bigger companies than JT (two have offshore versions fwiw) so thats not really apples to apples. Compare a Nik Huber and it’s probably closer in shop size and price point.

This a video from 2020 of a shop walk through. They seem to be a smaller shop than all the others listed as far as employees, so that also takes into account the pricing. Look at Ken Lawrence prices with just him building them.

ben-affleck-essential-roles-ss01.jpg

I have some friends who think they're a cut above many nice guitars that they've owned, and they're comparing them mainly against the mass-market brands, PRS, the occasional Knaggs, and Thorn. I love the colors, don't like the headstock, and don't like the price personally.

I didn't get the hype until I played a Tyler Studio Elite. Incredible playability. I've played Suhrs and Andersons that came close (and own a Suhr Modern Pro which is a killer guitar for the comparatively lower price), but Tylers are in a league of their own.

Quite a few of my pro customers have them. I find them to have the feel of the best vintage Fenders but play a LOT better and they always sound in the same ballpark. I like the Head because is says "fuck off and get over it." Older ones can be a bit rough around the edges but neck wood selection is always top.

I'm really curious to try one now but I assume the chances of me finding one in the wild are next to nill.

Everyone seems to rave about the necks .... But IMHO they do need to be "played in" just like any other "new" guitar !

I had opportunity to play one at a high-end guitar boutique in Milwaukee and my feeling was "meh" .... For all the hype, the neck felt stiff and unresponsive ( most likely because it was new ? ) !

Back
Top Bottom