What's the compressor doing?

pauly

Fractal Fanatic
Hi all,
This is either a wish, or something that already exists that I've missed.
When using a compressor in the desk, or outboard, there's always a meter or string of LEDs letting me know just how much attenuation is being applied to the signal. Is there an indication of compression for the compressor and multiband compressors in the Axe FX II?

Thanks
Pauly

The Compressor block page that shows GR is not the default page in edit mode.

Just Nav over one tab. The GR meter is there.

Talking about the front panel; not AxeEdit.

Interesting. I have been wanting an indicator also, and never noticed it was on a different page! I will have to look into this also!

Thanks all - I didn't even look at the unit way over there in the rack! :)
That helps a lot.
Pauly

Mine is racked a little ways away too.

The front panel GR meter is pretty responsive. I can see when I'm getting about 4-6 db of GR, which is my goto, by looking at the meter from a distance and I don't need to read the number.

Just got to remember to Nav to the GR page :)

Just on the subject of the compressor, what does a compressor block after the amp and cab do compared to a block before the amp?

Just on the subject of the compressor, what does a compressor block after the amp and cab do compared to a block before the amp?

From my experience:

A compressor before an amp gives it a touch more 'bounce' (and not necessarily even out the signal as you might expect...) Think 'chicken pickin'. After the amp, it will have an 'even' effect, kind of squashing big dynamics and helping you sit better in the mix (which can help when you hit the strings with your watchband rather than the pick when you're hopping around on stage.)

That squash effect can happen before amp, but you will have to do some tweakin' to get there off defaults, and reduce the boost you might get.

Similar to the difference a volume pedal as before and after an amp. Before you have the potential to affect your amps gain structure.

FWIW, an output compressor has been added to the amp block for V15. It's specifically tailored to the task of amp dynamic range compression. It also can be used to simulate the compression you get from a dynamic microphone and/or some mic preamps.

Nice.

FWIW, an output compressor has been added to the amp block for V15. It's specifically tailored to the task of amp dynamic range compression. It also can be used to simulate the compression you get from a dynamic microphone and/or some mic preamps.

Nice. How about one for the cab block, for the mics and to simulate that character of mic pre's?

Last edited:

Big help. Thanks!

So if my thinking is correct, an output compressor would not effect the dynamic feel of the amp as much as it would equalize volume if you are using your guitar's volume knob?
That would be cool.

Back
Top Bottom