What's the best way to set up my AX8 for recording?

I'm trying to experiment a new way to setup my rig for recording. The way I have it setup now is PRS -> AX-8 -> Stereo XLR Out to Roland Studio Capture.

I own a Quilter Toneblock 200W Head that I love using live and want to incorporate in my recording. What are my options here and what would be the best way to hook it up in my chain? I'm open to any suggestions and techniques.

(Please note the Toneblock doesn't have a send and return, only a direct XLR out and speaker out from the back).

Last edited:
What does the quilter do for your tone?

It’s an amp, and to record an amp, you need to mic a speaker.

I would not use the quilter for recording.

Yeah why not just record direct? Otherwise hook up your quilter amp to a cab and mic it as usual

I'm with Chris and GD... not sure why you'd want the Quilter to get involved in the direct AX8 setup.
Hmm.
I guess you can put the Quilter through a cab and mic the cab, turn off amp modeling on the AX8 and use the AX8 as a preamp/effects pedal?

I'm trying to experiment a new way to setup my rig for recording. The way I have it setup now is PRS -> AX-8 -> Stereo XLR Out to Roland Studio Capture.

I own a Quilter Toneblock 200W Head that I love using live and want to incorporate in my recording. What are my options here and what would be the best way to hook it up in my chain? I'm open to any suggestions and techniques.

(Please note the Toneblock doesn't have a send and return, only a direct XLR out and speaker out from the back).

Mathew, I'm guessing you have the toneblock 200 which doesn't have the send and return like the 201. You should be able to take one of your 1/4 inch outs from the AX8 directly into the toneblock and then take the xlr out from the toneblock to the Roland Studio Capture. You could also try this add a send/return block in your path before the amp block and send the toneblock and both the right and left from the Ax8 to get a wet/dry/wet mix in your roland studio. You would need to add the send/return block and use one of the outputs to go into the toneblock and then the XLR from the toneblock to the roland studio capture and mix the three channels how you like for a really fat sound. I do this live sometimes, I have a send/return block to a backline amp before my amp block so I get a dry channel and push my wet mix to the FOH. I then mic the dry amp to give me dry center channel. good luck.

Back
Top Bottom