Whats the best way to record raw signal into my DAW?

Kaldeth

Hello all,

So my current set up is direct in to Axe fX II -> L&R output to Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 mic 1 & 2 channels -> monitor L&R out from 18i8 to my monitors -> USB out from 18i8 to my PC for recording in my DAW using the 18i8 as the audio driver and for sending output sound from my PC to the 18i8.

With this signal path I can record wet signal all day long without any issues, but what I would like to start doing is recording dry signal for playing around with patch setting for mixing and/or reamping the whole recorded song. I am a little unsure of the whole dry signal recording process and how to achieve this. I know that I can simply rewire my whole set up and use my Axe FX as my audio driver instead of the 18i8 but I like the intergrated mixer and individual volume controls on each channel, so I'd like to keep the set up as is if possible.

Basically, what is the best way given my current set up to record dry signal while hearing the current patch when playing back and while recording in my DAW?

You can use the effects send block inserted at the beginning of the grid - that will send the dry signal out the effects send (output 2) of the Axe Fx. Send that into one of your inputs in the Scarlett to capture the dry guitar. Then send Output 1 L/R to the Scarlett to capture and/or monitor the rest of the patch.

You could even put something like a compressor before the effects send if you find the dry signal peaks too much (though at 24-bit, you'll have a fair amount of head-room and won't really have to worry about it).

Last edited:
You can also set Output 2 to mirror Input 1 and get the dry signal without an FX block.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you don't want to work at the sample rate of 48khz you have to keep it analog. Personally I don't hear a whole lot of difference when recording using the analog outs vs USB or SPDIF. As long as the line ins on your audio interface sound good you should be good to go using analog. I would do what the above have mentioned and use output 2 as the dry signal.

A warning though... Re amping leads to lack of production some times. Having too many choices and not committing to one particular sound can have you going around in circles. I personally like just recording wet and sticking with it like I would with a regular amp.

If you don't want to work at the sample rate of 48khz you have to keep it analog. Personally I don't hear a whole lot of difference when recording using the analog outs vs USB or SPDIF. As long as the line ins on your audio interface sound good you should be good to go using analog. I would do what the above have mentioned and use output 2 as the dry signal.

A warning though... Re amping leads to lack of production some times. Having too many choices and not committing to one particular sound can have you going around in circles. I personally like just recording wet and sticking with it like I would with a regular amp.

Agreed. I like to get a good sound, and stick with it. You can gently carve it with eq to make it sit in the mix properly. I also err on the lighter side when it comes to distortion because compression during production/post-production increases the perception of how much gain you used.

Kaldeth, This is another way that I like to do it. I don't like to monkey with the output cables on the axe to go to the inputs on my scarlett.

With Pro Tools 11 (my daw) and Windows you are stuck with one Audio Source. So this is my Reamp Process with a key ingredient of Asio4All driver.

* Software
ProTools 11
Asio4All (they released a new one this year for Windows 8.x!!!).
Scarlett Drivers and Mixer Tool
AXEFXII USB Driver

DAW (protools)
1) Audio Setup - make the Asio4all the main source
2) Config the IO. So you setup all the scalett I/O and the AXE I/O (4 input 1-2 are the WET and 3-4 are the Dry). Output (from DAW to AXE USB IN will be 2 channels.

Reamp:
1) Record on dry axe. (Channel 3 on Axe) I like to record in parallel so one on axe channel 1-2 and the other Dry 3-4.
2) ON the AXE set the input to usb for main input in the io menu
3) In DAW set the dry track to output on the axefx
4) In DAW Make a new track to hold the reamp. Set the input to the axe wet (channels 1-2). Set the out to daw to the main out so you can hear the reamp
5) record it!! This is done by simply doing the normal record on the new ramp track you made, but you can change the setting on the AXe to change amps/reverb etc.
6) When done don't forget to change the AXE input in IO menu back to Inst IN.

Back
Top Bottom