What's the best way to dial for FOH without a FRFR solution?

jarrett

Inspired
I've got a power amp/guitar cab setup with my Axe-FX. I don't have any FRFR monitors at home. Since I don't have time at gigs to sit and tweak my presets in the mains, I'd like to do it the best I can at home. Is there a good way to do that? Headphones? Recording direct to computer? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Facing this situation myself, started digging into. Currrently using some Fostex PM0.5 Monitors (from the Presonus Firepod). Debating on buying a better set of monitors if that would react more like FoH. Sold all my PA gear a couple months ago :(

i borrowed a couple jbl 15" eons from a friend, and powering those with my crown amp to tweak foh tones. i'm still thining of bring the 4x12's because they look cool :)

Another possibility - find a local rehearsal studio that has a half decent (or better) PA and set up there for tweaking.

I have a local studio here that gives a discount rate for "solo session" (i.e. one person) if they have unused space on any given night.

I actually have a PA but it gives me the chance to take everything somewhere and tweak the sounds at volume without annoying my neighbours.

Chris

How about using a keyboard amp? Or are there any desktops monitors that would be good for this?

cteets said:
How about using a keyboard amp? Or are there any desktops monitors that would be good for this?

Not sure about desktop monitors but if you have a decent home stereo it should do the trick.

;)

Yeah heard horror stories of people blowing their home sound systems. I was referring to something in a studio mixing type size, like the KR8's etc. Guess I should just try to use my existing moniters then take it to church and run to the PA and see how close it is.

I use studio monitors, but a quality set of open air cans might get you by for a little while.

You don't need large powered drivers really. You just need flat response amplification and a reasonable amount of volume. You can get that with a decent studio monitor.

D

If you're hooked up through the computer, do your sound tests with a backing track. That'll give you a better idea of how you sound "in the mix".

Back
Top Bottom