What's the best solution for Volume Boost

Hubaer

Hi,

I want to programm a Volume Boost in each programm. I experimented with the following 2 ways

1. Output 1 and Output 2 Volume
It works from Zero to Max Volume, but I need max only 6dB Boost. So I can programm the minimum volume on my FCB1010 on each preset, but I think it's not the best solution and not flexible enough

2. Mixer Main Level
I place an Mixer on each Preset for the Loop / CAB Box an reduce the Main level to -6dB. With extern 1 controller I have to programm each Preset with min:90% middle:95% and max 100%.

I think both ways are not the best solution.

What is you best solution for this ?

Thanks

Ingo

Hi Ingo,

Best solution really is to search this forum for "boost". You'll find a lot of good info.

I and many others use a filter block set to "null" at the end of the effects chain. I use +5dB, most others use +6dB. The main thing to check is that the patches with the loudest peaks (usually the more dynamic clean patches) don't cause digital clipping when boost is on and you're strumming/picking at maximum strength.

Hope this helps,
GM Arts

The key point about the null filter boost that gets glazed over is . . . it needs to be AFTER the amp!

I have one of my FCB1010 expression pedals attached to the master volume controller, and its mapped to only sweep between something like 100 to 127. So I keep it all the way down, and when I need a boost, I tilt the pedal up.

LAYGO said:
The key point about the null filter boost that gets glazed over is . . . it needs to be AFTER the amp!

That depends on what your trying to do. On some patches I have a nul filter boost before and after. The before will drive the amp to clipping, the after volume boost.
l

hubaer,

(I keep posting this every time someone asks the question. I hope I'm not too redundant by doing the old "copy & paste". I only wish to present a different idea from what everyone else seems to do. Anyway...)

I accomplish a solo boost a different way...

There are often many ways to accomplish certain things with the AXE-FX. One thing that I needed to figure out early on (after getting my AXE FX) was the following: I use mine live. Sometimes at my cover band's shows there is no sound-man (or a clueless sound man). There is another guitarst in the band with me & we share lead parts throughout the gig. We play a wide range of styles & sounds. I needed to find the best way to have access to a universal "solo" effect, that is to make the overall volume of my rig louder - but, just during the guitar solos (or critical lead parts) within a given song & then be instantly capable of switching back to the normal volume. I didn't want to have to program a volume or gain boost into every one of my patches. I use LOTS of patches live, which often change as time goes on. I am also using a Boss GT-8 as a MIDI floor controller until I'm able to buy the Fractal MFC101 (if it ever becomes available) or just decide to get a Liquid Foot.

Anyway, the best solution that I came up with (and I still do this NOW) is to use a Roland EV-5 Expression pedal. I simply plug the Roland EV-5 into the "Pedal 1" 1/4" jack on the back of my AXE FX. I also assign this "Pedal 1" jack to control master volume globally. The Roland EV-5 is being used as an external volume pedal. This particular pedal has a wheel on the side of it that you can turn to set your minimum volume level (from 0 to 10). I set it at about "8". So, when the pedal is all the way back, it's slightly quieter than it is when it's all the way forward. It doesn't affect sound, simply overall volume. I keep it back for most of the show & I push it all the way forward for guitar solos or parts where I need to be louder. It works fantastic! It doesn't alter my tone 1 bit. I have another guitarist in the band and I can now be heard over him perfectly when it's my time to solo. If we have no sound man, it's a must. When we DO have a sound man, he doesn't have to do anything for me. He never has to pay attention to when I'm doing a lead or adjust the faders on the board. It's the best solution I've come up with, especially given the limitations of the Boss GT-8 that I'm using as a MIDI control device for the time being. It also keeps me from having to remember to program a volume boost of some kind into each of my MANY patches that I use live. Finally, I can easily adjust how dramatic the volume difference is on the fly by simply scrolling that little wheel on the side of the pedal. It never varies much. Again, I'm usually around "8", but occasionally I've made the volume boost more dramatic by setting it just under 8, or more subtle by setting it just over 8.

The advantage (I would think) of doing it my way vs. the way other people may be approaching it (by boosting mids or something) is that using the pedal as I do has absolutely ZERO effect on the sound of the patch. Using an EQ to boost often concerns me that the tone will be shaped slightly different once the boost is turned on. This was another concern of mine when I was pondering the possibilities.

Also, with the pedal method that I'm using, there's also some play in the middle. If I only push the expression pedal half-way forward, I only get half of my volume boost. I can go as subtle as I want with real time foot control. If you step on a button for a boost, it's "all or nothing" and only one volume difference.

There's also the issue with dealing with local soundmen. Most I've worked with in local clubs & bars are either clueless, indifferent, unfamiliar with what you're going to be doing, not paying attention, deaf, or drunk. And, when they DO expect a solo coming and try to boost your volume, they often push the fader up late, push it too far (or not enough), and don't bring the volume back down after your solo on time and/or back to the rhythm volume you were previously at. This technique removes their hijinx and incompetence from the equation.

I highly recommend trying this as an option.

Also... With the pedal method that I use, (regardless of what patch I switch over to) I always know if the volume is at the slightly quieter "rhythm" level or the boosted "lead" level by simply looking down and seeing which position the pedal is physically in.

Hey nice post Ben. Can the Roland EV-5 also be used to boost delay or reverb globally? Or the global EQ for that matter? Thanks

You can control many parameters on any effect in the AXE-FX with expression pedals like these. You can certainly assign what you want controlled by what in the menus for each effect within your patches. As far as "globally", There are many global parameters which can be controlled by plugging in ANY expression pedal (not just the EV-5) like I've done for volume boost. You can select it by going to the I/O menu (hit the I/O button on the front of the AXE FX) and then going to the page there labelled "CTRL". Many of the paramenters are there for gobal control. In some (most cases), you can control the bypass of each effect (turn it on or off). For some others, you can also control more of the individual parameters globally. You have to go to this menu and see what's available here. If it's not available for global control, you can make something controllable within that patch.

Rest assured that if you can think of it, there's probably a way to do it.

schnarf said:
I have one of my FCB1010 expression pedals attached to the master volume controller, and its mapped to only sweep between something like 100 to 127. So I keep it all the way down, and when I need a boost, I tilt the pedal up.

+1, I started doing this after reading some posts here and I really like it. By attaching it to global volume, you don't have to worry about programming individual patches. Since the boost is variable, you can adjust easily on the fly, unlike a switch adding a preset amount of boost. It may seem like a "waste" of an expression pedal, but it works quite well. I never liked using a volume pedal, never used one on my old pedalboards, but I like this a lot.

Back
Top Bottom