What's the best DAW for a guitar player with an AxeFX II XL+ and Windows?

Rick C

Sorry for the intrusion but I think this is probably the best place for such a question. I haven't used a DAW since Cubase in the mid 90s; everything has changed. I'm interested in real guitar playing users' opinions of Windows-based DAWs.

Reaper is worth trying out I think. Cheap to buy and loads of free updates if you like it.

+1 for Reaper.
I use it at home and at work, cheap but powerful and it's updated frequently.

+1 for Reaper. Free to try and only $60 for a personal use license. Been 100% stable for me on both Windows 7 and 10.

+1 for Reaper.
Somewhat high learning curve, but tremendously powerful, and a nice update policy, as you get continuous updates for 2 major releases.

I was gonna say Reaper but I prefer more underground DAWs.

670973boxart_160w.jpg

If you are doing a lot of drum programming I would suggest Cubase for its drum editor and drum maps. I use Logic on Mac and am starting to use Cubase in Windows for writing my drums.

If you are doing a lot of drum programming I would suggest Cubase for its drum editor and drum maps. I use Logic on Mac and am starting to use Cubase in Windows for writing my drums.

Fair points there, but it is possible to set up an alternate view mode in Reaper's piano roll, so that drum midi functions just as Cubase midi drum roll does. That's the beauty of Reaper, right there :D

He needs ProTools.

Just kidding of course, the answer is probably going to be Reaper. A completely functional demo with no time limit and supports almost all hardware. Their forums are pretty good and Kenny Gioa has a bunch of fantastic training videos available on YouTube and Groove3.

Back
Top Bottom