What's the best AX8 amp alternative to Tonemaster?

fdos

As stated in the subject, what amp model in AX8 would be closest to a Fender Tonemaster? Thanks.

Not having played one either but going by clips I've heard, maybe a Plexi and change the power tubes to 6L6's? The lead or gain channel sounds a lot like a hot-rodded or jumped Plexi. If you want to stick with a Fender model, try the 59 Bassguy with the Saturation Switch on "Ideal", set to 2.0 or higher. For the clean channel, any of the typical high powered Fenders should work, use the GEQ set to Pre P.A. to have better adjustment over the tone.

I think the tonemaster became the amp of choice for a lot of rock bands in mid 90s.
Aerosmith (get a grip album ) and Bon jovi (these days album) are two examples.
Great sounding “throaty” / grainy sound to it.
I’d love to hear an model of it..

I used to hang around a blues band where one of the guitarists played through a Tonemaster and I loved the way the clean channel sounded. I know the 4 x 12 and 2 x 12 cabs that they they used to sell with them were loaded with V30s. I tried a few Fender models with V30s and haven't found a combination that clicks for me the way I remember that Tonmaster sounded.

Maybe Dweezil's Bassman?

I'm not real familiar with the amp, but that has that high-gain Fender thing going.

Dave Grohl uses Tonemasters. He’s known for Mesas but I read he loves him some tonemaster.

I have never played through a real Fender Tonemaster so I can not offer any thoughts about it. Perhaps @austinbuddy or @Moke can offer some insight.
I'll be honest... I've never heard of the 'Tonemaster'. But it sounds like a beast of a Fender.

Have you tried the '6G4 Super' model (#004)? Input Drive at '10.00', Input Trim at around '5.000', Bass '5.00', Mid and Treble '10.00', Presence '0.00-3.00'. Your favorite 4x12 cab.

I'll be honest... I've never heard of the 'Tonemaster'. But it sounds like a beast of a Fender.

Have you tried the '6G4 Super' model (#004)? Input Drive at '10.00', Input Trim at around '5.000', Bass '5.00', Mid and Treble '10.00', Presence '0.00-3.00'. Your favorite 4x12 cab.

I will try this. Thanks!

I will try this. Thanks!
Cool.. I haven't tested this myself. It was just off of the top of my head from what I remember about the '6G4 Super' model. There are a couple of other Fenders that can probably get there too.

Since the Vibra-King is an FAS modeled Fender amp of similar architecture from that early 90s you might start there. Try swapping in the tone stack for Bassmans, 6G4 Super, etc. into an IR of a 4x12 with Celestion V30s until you get what approximates the difference to your ears between a Vibro King and Tonemaster for the drive channel. If its just a specific sound, rather than general amp behavior you're after: a 6G4 Super (as per Moke's suggestion) or '65 AB165 Bassguy into V30s might do that much. I remember the Tonemaster clean channel as being similar but a bit creamier than a Twin. That might be approximated by speaker choice with an FAS models of a Blackface or Silverface Twin into a 4x12 with Celestion V30s or G12/80s (the usual speakers with the Tonemaster).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom