What's happened to my Axe-Fx 3?

neale dunham

Experienced
So, I upgraded My AXE 3 to Firmware version 8.00 today

When I got to rehearsal, I noticed that my settings weren't quite as I left them in version 7.02.

My setup is as follows:

I connect my axe fx using output 1 and 2 on the rear panel via the XLR outputs, to two Fryette Powerstation 2 Amps. They in turn power my left and right speakers Independently.

I should point out here that I don't use FRFR.

I only use The Axe fx through these Poweramps into an Ev loaded Mesa 1x12 and the other power amp utilises the other speaker which is a Marshall 1x12 Cabinet.

I set my signal chain thus: Input > Amp Block > Output Block Channel 1 I use a split connector cable going from the Amp block to both output 1 and output two.
Output Block Channel 2

So for example, if I have a song that I require a clean tone for, I use output 1 routed to Poweramp 1 then into the Mesa with the EV. If the song needs a solo part I make another scene labelled solo and just tell the axe to turn off the output 1 and enable output 2 and Voila! The signal is now routed to output 2 using my Celestion speaker in my Marshall Cab and bypassing output 1

In Version 7.02 All was good. This method worked fine.

Today However, after the update, all that seems to have changed? I noticed that now on the front of the Axe, BOTH output 1 and 2 illuminate when I play?

Also, Scenes with Output 1 engaged in the preset (my clean tones) are being routed to both amps. If I try to switch to output 2 for drive sounds there is no sound at all?

I don't understand what has happened here or where to start. I haven't changed anything within my presets at all.

Does this sound like a software issue or something?

Should I re-install firmware 8.00. Or try to revert back to 7.02? Or is it just a case of reconfiguring the Axe fx 3 in the menus to get it to perform how I want ?
Perhaps even resetting parts of the system will help possibly???

I just don't know where to start! Lol!!

I have tried various switch settings in the Setup menu etc and nothing seems to work?

I hope I have explained this well enough for you guys to diagnose.

I guess in short, I have a routing issue that the Axe fx no longer recognises the switch between Output A and Output B by keeping them as separate channels possibly due to the new Firmware resetting some of the Global parameters maybe ?

Any suggestions most welcome from those with the knowledge in such things!

Thanks.

No pressure, esp if you need your rig for rehearsal/gigging, but if possible/desired, trying to debug the issue (on 8.00) might be helpful for others if it is a FW issue. Also if you ever decide to go to a subsequent FW you might run into the same problem again. Just a thought.

Back
Top Bottom