What's everyone using for their lead tones?

Brit Silver with the gain up is awesome. Dynamic, and works well over any style of music. If I want something a little shreddier, HBE or either FAS Lead.

Assuming you mean gainy lead, a glance over my presets shows:

Shiver LD
CA3+ Lead
Brit Pre
Friedman BE with a tube screamer

Comp(slight) - USA IIC+ BRT/DP - FCab 100(NON-URes) - Reverb w/HQ setting - guitar volume 3-ish

An EQ with the "upside-down smiley" on the end of the grid, and/or the same thing with a significant level boost before the amp, mimicking the Tubescreamer lo- and hi-cut. A nice kick around 800hz before the amp!

Might be because my previous rig was centered around a TriAxis, but I really like the smooth and liquid sound of the USA Pre LD2 Grn and the USA Pre LD2 Ylw.

I can't say this enough: learn how to properly use an EQ and a compressor and ANY sound can become a lead tone! Have fun with your axeFxII!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Can you 'time' effects/scene changes for specified durations ahead of time for during live playing of a song, or is a midi foot controller mandatory for this?
Timing your tone changes would be a recipe for disaster in a live situation. If the band plays the song at a tempo that's off by even a tiny fraction, your tone changes will be off.

But you can use a computer to send MIDI commands to your Axe-Fx at the proper times, provided the band is playing to a click track generated by the computer.

Most often an Soldano SLO preset. I have presets using the 59 Plexi and 5150 amps for certain songs. I have a null filter for a boost on every preset in case I just want a louder vesion of what I am already playing for a solo sound (clean solos, etc). For pedals, I have found the Eternal Love pedal in front of the Maz 38 makes a great mid gain tone, I use it for Eagles style stuff.

HBE about 90% of the time for "gainy" leads since FW6 or whenever it came out. I have been using the JVM, AFD, 5153 Reds occasionally. There's just something creamily good about the HBE that suits my ears. I have run it through an atomic reactor, JBL 515s, and for the last 6 months or so Focal monitors for the FRFR and fxlooped to a port city 212OS (dry with just the head usually). It always sounds good no matter what I run it through.

5153Red… screams

I also like to mess with a MkIIC with the MV post PI.. cos it goes nuts..
the JCM800 also goes nuts with the same mod

Reactions: J.C
How many of you non-metal players rely on the characteristics of the amp distortion vs. using a relatively clean amp sound with a drive pedal in front? I mostly play clean or close-to-breakup type sounds for classic rock or countryish stuff, no AC-DC or heavier stuff. I have better luck for what I'm after, using the drive pedals rather than making tones that rely on the amp for most or all of the distortion when I want a lead tone. For a mostly clean tone, I get those with no drive, just rely on the amp settings.

Last edited:
How many of you non-metal players rely on the characteristics of the amp distortion vs. using a relatively clean amp sound with a drive pedal in front? I mostly play clean or close-to-breakup type sounds for classic rock or countryish stuff, no AC-DC or heavier stuff. I have better luck for what I'm after, using the drive pedals rather than making tones that rely on the amp for most or all of the distortion when I want a lead tone. For a mostly clean tone, I get those with no drive, just rely on the amp settings.
For me, even though I don't record much non-metal, it really depends on the amp and the song. Both options are great, but it just boils down to what's best for the mix.

Back
Top Bottom