Whats a good wireless system for guitar/AFX?

The StageClix Jack is fully digital and the new one uses the 5.8GHz band for full 24bit audio. I current have the 2.4GHz version and have not had problems in the "crowded" band. Web link http://www.stageclix.com/home

Before I purchased the StageClix, I have tried many brands of wireless and most failed because their frequency response assumes that you don't need much above 10kHz. I have used piezo pups and this unit captured all the "air" at the high end. Currently using standard pups, I can still get that initial attack of the plectrum on the strings to have my near standard Strat sounds like a J200. Latency < 3ms. I purchased from a UK dealer as they have no one representing the company in Australia. Service and support has been great as I needed to replace the batteries. Easy job for self servicing.

While I'm aware that the OP had a budget, you save by making a good investment such as StageClix just like the Fractal Audio device you have because you are buying enjoyment rather than problems!

Totally with you on the StageClix - been using it for a number of years now never any signal loss, never any loss of quality AND no battery's required as the receiver charges up in the transmitter - best one available.

Well for that price and rack mountable, watch ebay for an old X2 system. I still have mine (original X2, not Line 6). I love this thing. It's a full rackspace and has huge LED bars for battery condition and signal strength. It sounds great and I have zero issues with it for 10 years now.
62156507600729186.jpg

As I see it you have various parameters to play with:
* How much/often do you use a wireless, if seldom or only now and then get a cheap used or new cheap reliable one
* If you want to put the receiver in a rack, get a rack based version, especially makes sense with Fractal AXE units
* If you are touring extensively then get something robust and high-priced as quality and reliability costs money
* If you want to save earth and money with batteries get a re-chargeable unit *)
* If you want support get a brand that's been around for a longer time and has a reputation of being good and having good service
* If you want the Angus Young compressed sound get an old Schaffer Vega wireless. :)
* And if you are really worried about the tone quality of the guitar into effects get a short and good cable (Scott Henderson.), or a good long one (Steve Lukather) -- it does absolutely not hurt to have one under the pedalboard for emergency cases.

And then there are variations based on those parameters and others I forgot to mention.

*) I've tried rechargeable AA batteries with senders but the output is not that great causing latencies and other issues compared with normal batteries.

- batteries. Depending on the length of the gig, a battery might not even last through the entirety of the gig. And rechargable batteries are even worse. You will end up buying batteries in a bulk. Fun for the entire family (and the environment).
AA batteries at full charge - should get you thru a 4 hr gig every time without issue. The only time I've ever had a problem with ANY AA battery is when I tried to see how far they would, and got caught mid-set! Takes seconds to swap them out, and I ALWAYS check levels before a set. I also have a spare cable atop my amp ready to go in a pinch.
"rechargable batteries are even worse" - sorry.. but baloney... they mostly work great.. been using them
(as have other bands members) without issue for about 3 yrs now..
*) I've tried rechargeable AA batteries with senders but the output is not that great causing latencies and other issues compared with normal batteries.
Sorry.. but that's perception and there's no physical evidence to support that statement. Many rechargeable AA's work fine, but like the Axe, you get what you pay for. I've been using the same set (Energizer 2300mAh NiMH) with my G90 and my old Carvin IEM body pak for about 2 yrs.. no problems getting thru either guitar/bass gigs. Same set of 16 being rotated. Still going strong. I upgraded the Carvin to the Senn G3 IEM system a few months ago and use EBL 2800mAh AA's in it's body pak, and I can get 2 full gigs out of one set.
Total cost of both sets - plus programmable charger - about $70.
A lot cheaper than $30+ a month on regular AA's for both paks.

To be fair, if you gig infrequently, once a month, etc. then the "shelf life" of rechargeable NiMH is definitely LESS than regular AA's - there IS proof of that. However, I gig regularly (75+ in 2015), so they don't sit on the shelf long...

there's plenty of testing done on various AA rechargeables.. Some links below:
http://www.consumersearch.com/batteries/best-rechargeable-batteries
http://www.batteryshowdown.com/
http://michaelbluejay.com/batteries/

This one is particularly interesting..
http://www.amazon.com/review/R1ZWLU...electronics&tag=cs-arr-20&ascsubtag=batteries

Totally with you on the StageClix - been using it for a number of years now never any signal loss, never any loss of quality AND no battery's required as the receiver charges up in the transmitter - best one available.
I just discovered this ... I'm very intrigued from the clever design. I see that this thing has a TRS jack. Does it transmit in stereo or is this just balanced connection?

It's a balanced connection. Not cheap but worth the money... Never gets any interference and never have to worry about batteries- I have the 'pack' type not the Jack plug. The pack gets around 30 hours from a charge... Even plug it in the charger in between sets etc...

Another vote for the GLXD4. I have it velcroed in my rack and it's paired with the PSM300 and sounds really good!
Anything can be racked with a cheap rack shelf, so don't worry over it being rackable as far as being what you want. Through the recommendations of several here I bought the Shure GLXD, and it is a great unit. Cannot emphasize enough how the rechargable battery is a great thing, and will ultimately make this unit pay for itself. Very cool, and I am now one who recommends this to any who ask for a relatively low cost wireless. Not quite $200, but not too far from it.

Last edited:
What's the resistance to 2 body paks? Just curious.. I wear them all the time.. wireless out, IEM in.
Basicly that you have twice the issues: low battery, interference and two receivers. Add a third one if you use IEM. Also, you look like a marine or mechanic with all the stuff around your belt, though that would add cred if you're in a marching band.

Then again, these stageclix things seem small enough to hide them in your pants. Maybe I'll order two of them at thomann and try them out for 30 days.

Last edited:
Basicly that you have twice the issues: low battery, interference and two receivers. Add a third one if you use IEM. Also, you look like a marine or mechanic with all the stuff around your belt, though that would add cred if you're in a marching band.

Then again, these stageclix things seem small enough to hide them in your pants. Maybe I'll order two of them at thomann and try them out for 30 days.
I have 2 body packs, guitar/bass (G90) and IEM (G3). I have no interference due to "judicious planning" of channel separation between them and the others in the band on wireless and IEM.
I also use rechargeable AA's for both, and haven't bought batteries in 2 yrs.
I have 2 kinds -- 2300 mAh Energizers for my G90 pack, and 2800 mAh EBL's for use in my Seen G3 IEM.

FWIW - the EBL's are slightly oversized to handle the extra capacity, and do NOT FIT in tube-style battery containers. Won't work in the G90 tube, but are great in the G3 flip-lid.

Both sets will handily cover a 4-hr gig in their respective devices and then some. I've gotten 14 hours out of a set of EBL's in my IEM's. I DO power down BOTH packs between sets, check levels before each set starts, and have easily accessible backups on hand. In 75 gigs last year, I got caught twice - both were IEM's dying. Pull out an ear and put in fresh AA's at end of song.

I went rechargeable because my gig schedule was costing me $30 a month in AA's. I spent around $60 on batteries and a decent 3rd party charger. By my estimation I'm ahead by about $650 in battery expenses. ;)

As with all things.. YMMV.

I have 2 body packs, guitar/bass (G90) and IEM (G3). I have no interference due to "judicious planning" of channel separation between them and the others in the band on wireless and IEM.
I also use rechargeable AA's for both, and haven't bought batteries in 2 yrs.
I have 2 kinds -- 2300 mAh Energizers for my G90 pack, and 2800 mAh EBL's for use in my Seen G3 IEM.

FWIW - the EBL's are slightly oversized to handle the extra capacity, and do NOT FIT in tube-style battery containers. Won't work in the G90 tube, but are great in the G3 flip-lid.

Both sets will handily cover a 4-hr gig in their respective devices and then some. I've gotten 14 hours out of a set of EBL's in my IEM's. I DO power down BOTH packs between sets, check levels before each set starts, and have easily accessible backups on hand. In 75 gigs last year, I got caught twice - both were IEM's dying. Pull out an ear and put in fresh AA's at end of song.

I went rechargeable because my gig schedule was costing me $30 a month in AA's. I spent around $60 on batteries and a decent 3rd party charger. By my estimation I'm ahead by about $650 in battery expenses. ;)

As with all things.. YMMV.
Wait, for someone trying to encourage others to go wireless, this post sounded awfully decouraging. ;)

I use Line6 G90 for gigs, G50 for home, and G50 on grab-n-go pedalboard for rehearsals, open mics, etc. Only issue ever was transmitter. Fixed under warranty. Love the tone, latency not an issue. Been a digital wireless user since late 90's, first with X-Wire, then X2 Digital Wireless, and now Line6. All from Guy Coker, who now works for Line6.

Eneloop rechargeable AA's are the absolute bomb. I get 2 typical 4-hour gigs out of one charge. Swap as soon as bars get down to 50%, because they go fast at that point.

Back
Top Bottom