Whatever happened to modeling Petrucci's IIc+ ?

Cliff was borrowing one because he didn't have one to G3. I bet since he bought one he no longer needed JP's

I thought JP's was the one G3'd and currently "in the box." But whoever it belonged to, I am using it a lot!

I ended up finding a real nice one on eBay. I'd rather buy an amp and have it for future reference than borrow one.

But more is always more and always better.:mrgreen So why not also have a special JP IIc+ amp model as well (unless of course it sounds exactly like the one you bought)? To limit the redundancy of having too many IIc+ sims, there could be just 1 model of it, with the all the push/pulls and switches defaulted to Petrucci's preference.

I just think having a model of a "celebrity" guitar player's actual amp would be cool (and you can never have too many Mesa Mark series amp models in the Axe-Fx :razz).

Speaking of the the MK II in the A2 anyone have any suggestions on settings? I turned to it last night for the first time in about 2 FW's. I was trying to dial in that Sykes tone from the 1987 Whitesnake album, didnt even get close, I hear he used a Mesa that had 6 power tubes and the equivalent of the MKIII preamp. I thought the MKII would be closer than the IV.

I had such a hard time getting anything good sounding from it. I ALWAYS have a hard time with the Mesa sims but usually I get good advice here and then BAM! Great tones!

Speaking of the the MK II in the A2 anyone have any suggestions on settings? I turned to it last night for the first time in about 2 FW's. I was trying to dial in that Sykes tone from the 1987 Whitesnake album, didnt even get close, I hear he used a Mesa that had 6 power tubes and the equivalent of the MKIII preamp. I thought the MKII would be closer than the IV.

I had such a hard time getting anything good sounding from it. I ALWAYS have a hard time with the Mesa sims but usually I get good advice here and then BAM! Great tones!

Here's a quick and dirty export of the settings from AE: USA IIC+ amp #196. YMMV ;)

Effect Name Param Label Param Value (X)
Amp 1 Effect Type USA IIC+ BRT/DP
Amp 1 Input Drive 10
Amp 1 Bass 0
Amp 1 Mid 5
Amp 1 Treb 6.77
Amp 1 Master Volume 5
Amp 1 Low Cut Freq 23.0 Hz
Amp 1 Hi Cut Freq 15000 Hz
Amp 1 Tone Freq 850.0 Hz
Amp 1 Bright Cap 120.0 pF
Amp 1 XFormer Low Freq 10.0 Hz
Amp 1 XFormer Hi Freq 24000 Hz
Amp 1 Tone Location PRE
Amp 1 Input Select SUM L+R
Amp 1 Depth 0
Amp 1 Supply Sag 1.74
Amp 1 Presence 5
Amp 1 Level -25.7 dB
Amp 1 Balance 0
Amp 1 Bypass Mode THRU
Amp 1 Negative Feedback 10
Amp 1 Presence Freq 1
Amp 1 Low Res Freq 110.0 Hz
Amp 1 Low Resonance 3.33
Amp 1 Bypassed 0.707
Amp 1 Depth Freq 250.0 Hz
Amp 1 MV Cap 1.0 pF
Amp 1 Modeling Mode AUTHENTIC
Amp 1 Tonestack Type DEFAULT
Amp 1 B+ Time Constant 20.00 ms
Amp 1 Power Tube Bias 0.3
Amp 1 Bright Switch OFF
Amp 1 Boost OFF
Amp 1 Low Res Q 2
Amp 1 Preamp Bias -0.4
Amp 1 Hi Freq 1100 Hz
Amp 1 Hi Resonance 6.67
Amp 1 Cut OFF
Amp 1 XFormer Drive 1
Amp 1 Input Trim 6.471
Amp 1 Preamp Hardness 8.5
Amp 1 MV Location PRE-PI
Amp 1 Speaker Drive 0
Amp 1 XFormer Match 1
Amp 1 Saturation Switch OFF
Amp 1 63 0
Amp 1 125 0
Amp 1 250 0
Amp 1 500 0
Amp 1 1K 0
Amp 1 2K 0
Amp 1 4K 0
Amp 1 8K 0
Amp 1 Bias Excursion 56.00%
Amp 1 Excursion Time 8.40 ms
Amp 1 Recovery Time 30.00 ms
Amp 1 Triode 2 Plate Freq 40000 Hz
Amp 1 Triode 1 Plate Freq 8600 Hz
Amp 1 Power Tube Type 6L6/5881
Amp 1 Preamp Tube Type SHORT PLATE
Amp 1 Comp Clarity 10
Amp 1 Character Q 0.1
Amp 1 Character Freq 1000 Hz
Amp 1 Character Amt 0
Amp 1 Overdrive 7.5
Amp 1 Output Comp 0
Amp 1 Comp Threshold -30.0 dB
Amp 1 Master Vol Trim 1
Amp 1 Fat OFF
Amp 1 Definition 0
Amp 1 CF Comp 0.00%
Amp 1 Cathode Time 5.00 ms
Amp 1 Use MIMIC ON
Amp 1 Pick Attack 0.00%
Amp 1 Dynamic Presence 0
Amp 1 Dynamic Depth 0
Amp 1 Power Type AC
Amp 1 AC Line Freq 60 Hz
Amp 1 Pwr Amp Hardness 4
Amp 1 Tremolo Freq 0.200 Hz
Amp 1 Tremolo Depth 0.00%
Amp 1 Cathode Ratio 0.4
Amp 1 EQ Type 5 BAND (MARK)
Amp 1 Cathode Squish 0.00%
Amp 1 Squish Time 5.00 ms
Amp 1 Dynamic Damping 3.57
Amp 1 Preamp Sag ON
Amp 1 Bright 0.00 dB
Amp 1 Pwr Amp Bias -0.1
Amp 1 Dynamics 0
Amp 1 Hi Freq Slope 3.68
Amp 1 Variac 100.00%
Amp 1 Character Type PEAKING
Amp 1 Presence Shift OFF
Amp 1 Saturation Drive 4
Amp 1 Crunch 0.00%
Amp 1 Comp Type OUTPUT
Amp 1 EQ Location POST P.A.

Needless to say, one other VIP item to note is the IR can make or break any amp you match with it. I've been using various 412s with it, tho I've been strangely stuck on Factory Cab 100 410 superverb mix lately. I also run my guitar volume low, around 3. Gets plenty of anything I want out of it. Extremely dynamic. FW 19 didn't seem to get as much fanfare as previous ones, but it is IME, the best by far.

Last edited:
I think the main question is whether there's a difference between Cliff's 2C+ and JP's. If JP one is not moded I think there won't be a need to have his one in Axe FX II since we already have a great one in it.

Not sure if its true but what i have hear and read in past ,Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ 5-band EQ version sound different than Mesa Boogie Mark IIC+ without 5-band EQ. But also all Mesa Boogie Mark series amps sound slightly different ,like we all know that already and Mesa:s tech:s have confirm that also.

I think the main question is whether there's a difference between Cliff's 2C+ and JP's. If JP one is not moded I think there won't be a need to have his one in Axe FX II since we already have a great one in it.

NO parts are perfect, there are tolerances in all electronic components. Thus no 2 amps are identical ever.

Are you kidding its Petrucci's its not the same! its Petruccis'... Cliff... PE TRU CCI S' .

yoda_zps8e0sff4a.jpg

I'm with those who don't believe that his box has some extra *something* that makes it special. JP makes it special. Regardless of how many people would say they wouldn't, there would still be a 'this doesn't sound like his' cacophony (as well as miles of threads divining exact settings.)

It might be a badge of honor for devotee's to have Saint Petrucci's machine in the box, and knowing Fractal it will probably happen eventually. As your attorney I advise patience.

Back
Top Bottom