What would you use an external switch for?

So…what happens if you connect a Dual switch to the FM9? Will one work and the other not? Will neither work? 🤔

The T1M that I had on my FM3 board is making it's way over to the new FM9 board that I'm working on as I post... well taking a break from at the moment. even though I can't use both buttons I going to place it in the hopes that it's a software limitation. I'm a DIY'er so my projects take a little longer to complete.

Thought I would try my hand at Acrylic to see what happens! Waiting for parts to complete wiring the I/O's, which there are a few! Circus lights and party poppers to follow!

As to how I use my externals I like to use them for either a boost, tempo or some other effect that is not widely used in order to free up the switches on the FM.

IMG_0319.JPGIMG_0320.JPG

The T1M that I had on my FM3 board is making it's way over to the new FM9 board that I'm working on as I post... well taking a break from at the moment. even though I can't use both buttons I going to place it in the hopes that it's a software limitation. I'm a DIY'er so my projects take a little longer to complete.

Thought I would try my hand at Acrylic to see what happens! Waiting for parts to complete wiring the I/O's, which there are a few! Circus lights and party poppers to follow!

As to how I use my externals I like to use them for either a boost, tempo or some other effect that is not widely used in order to free up the switches on the FM.

View attachment 89246View attachment 89247
That’s cool. Have you tested the dual switch yet to see see what happens?

That’s cool. Have you tested the dual switch yet to see see what happens?
Ha! No I haven't had a chance to test or setup, probably tomorrow. I have been in a whirlwind of activities. Getting ready to take the wife to the Big Island for are 30th, All of the hoops one has to jump through to get on a plane and go their is PITA.

My Truck has been in the shop for the last 3 weeks getting full paint, trying do my side jobs without my rig has been a complete cluster top that off with ordering all the parts to try and finish this project has been a little unnerving to say the least.

Don't get me started on the programing to cut the Acrylic ran into all kinds of learning curves with that stuff. I guess the only thing left is for my dogs to crap on the carpets a just had cleaned but other than that I'm all good! o_O

So…what happens if you connect a Dual switch to the FM9? Will one work and the other not? Will neither work? 🤔
Heads-up,
A dual TRS cabled switch will not work unless you used an adapter jack and converted the signal to dual TS. According to previous moderator’s comments posted in this forum, the FM9 accepts TRS expression pedals, but not TRS switches. It’s a hardware issue, not something easily corrected by a firmware update.

My build plans include 2 SPST soft touch normally closed momentary switches that will be connected by individual instrument cable / right angle ¼” TS plugs. Although I’m not sure, I’m hoping the 2 switches will both provide the toggle/hold features like standard FAS switches…

All this is somewhat of a mess that needs sorting out, folding, and putting away. Task for tomorrow being rehearsed as I type

Last edited:
Heads-up,
A dual TRS cabled switch will not work unless you used an adapter jack and converted the signal to dual TS. According to previous moderator’s comments posted in this forum, the FM9 accepts TRS expression pedals, but not TRS switches. It’s a hardware issue, not something easily corrected by a firmware update.

My build plans include 2 SPST soft touch normally closed momentary switches that will be connected by individual instrument cable / right angle ¼” TS plugs. Although I’m not sure, I’m hoping the 2 switches will both provide the toggle/hold features like standard FAS switches…

All this is somewhat of a mess that needs sorting out, folding, and putting away. Task for tomorrow being rehearsed as I type
Well that changes things... for my layout anyway. Oh well time to go buy more stuff. Starting to wonder if I should have bought an Axe FX III FC-12 and that floor box that guy made... Hummm.

I was just able to test this myself. I connected a Mosky Dual Switch via TRS cable to FM9 Pedal 1 jack. The right button on the Mosky works fine; the left button does not. I also tested it with a TS cable and had the same result.

Understand that my original question wasn’t whether both switches would work: we’d already been told they wouldn’t. I was just wondering if even ONE switch on a Mosky Dual Switch would work—and it does.

Why not just increase the Level parameter in your Wah? Or maybe I'm not understanding?

I think most people cut the Level about 2-3dB in the Wah.
Good question... I have tried it both ways and in my particular circumstance having the switch nearby works best for me as I also use the Wah.... when I am in my solo boost so the circumstance of boosting twice just won't work. Many ways to skin that cat...

I am using a Trio 3 for the FM3, FM9, Mastermind GT10 + a cople of other effects right now. I have a couple of drives, EHX HOG, Strymon Volante, and a Line 6 G75 wireless. I am also using a RJM mini effects gizmo for audio loops. I have a Strymon Sunset on the way to replace the two drive pedals and allow for midi control of it 2 drives . RJM Mastermind + FMs FC Config ought to make it easy enough to program. When the GT10 gets FM9 support, it will be really easy.

Just received my tools/materials for my effects board build. Having zero soldering/electronics skills may prove interesting, but I trust YT instructional vids. Worst could happen is my continuity could go south. No big deal.

While my Mom was visiting today, I asked her if she would like to take part in my effects board build. Mom steadied the board as the remaining EV-1 was removed and re-positioned, and the Temple Audio XLR MM Module was installed. My schedule won't likely allow for any electronics work until Friday or Saturday, so the 2 external switch builds will need to wait until then.

Have chosen the closest and furthest large access holes from the far left side of the board, left of the EV-1. The purpose is to avoid unintentional foot contact with the lowermost switch. I think the distance is sufficient.

EDIT: Here's my Temple Audio Duo 34 build. It's still looking forlorn without the FM9, but no worries. The reason for 3 Temple Audio XLR cables is one is connected to a XLR FM Module, the remaining 2 to a XLR MM Module. The FM Module serves as a male monaural output for floor monitor. The remaining 2 XLR MM outputs act as FOH XLR connections. The remaining FM XLR connection could be used to connect a FC6 if necessary, but was leftover from my FC12 FAS-Link/FM3 connection. The ¼" TRS plug connects to the EV-1. Once the external switches are installed, it will be possible to secure the loose cables and make for a cleaner-looking project.

The reason for my showing you this is to help you see what's part of my build.
My takeaway from that cool post is you have a cool mom.

My takeaway from that cool post is you have a cool mom.
Much appreciated, Mom's up there in years and recently suffered a fall and an injury, and was hospitalized. Mom's due to be discharged in the next day or 2. My immediate family has medical and first responder background, so they're visiting her and caring for her current needs until she moves into a rehab facility closer to me. Depending on Mom's wishes, she may ask my family to continue with her daily needs, or Mom may hand the responsibility over to me. At first, I was pretty shaken up, thinking the worst, but Mom's pretty resilient and in good health, up to the fall.

The weird part of all this was that the day previous someone mentioned to me about seeing a local band named "Someone You Can X-Ray." I told Mom about it that evening and the next day during her exercise class, whoops, thunk. This is one time I wish "coincidence" wasn't part of my life so much.

But, yes, thanks for saying my Mom is cool. She's really most all of what I've got for close relatives, and like many folks who have elderly parents, we worry about them sometimes.

Much appreciated, Mom's up there in years and recently suffered a fall and an injury, and was hospitalized. Mom's due to be discharged in the next day or 2. My immediate family has medical and first responder background, so they're visiting her and caring for her current needs until she moves into a rehab facility closer to me. Depending on Mom's wishes, she may ask my family to continue with her daily needs, or Mom may hand the responsibility over to me. At first, I was pretty shaken up, thinking the worst, but Mom's pretty resilient and in good health, up to the fall.

The weird part of all this was that the day previous someone mentioned to me about seeing a local band named "Someone You Can X-Ray." I told Mom about it that evening and the next day during her exercise class, whoops, thunk. This is one time I wish "coincidence" wasn't part of my life so much.

But, yes, thanks for saying my Mom is cool. She's really most all of what I've got for close relatives, and like many folks who have elderly parents, we worry about them sometimes.
And now I see that your cool mom has raised cool family.

I am sorry to hear about her recent health issues. I had to go through a similar experience about 10 years ago with my father. Your mom is fortunate to have you.

Look forward to seeing the floorboard.

And now I see that your cool mom has raised cool family.

I am sorry to hear about her recent health issues. I had to go through a similar experience about 10 years ago with my father. Your mom is fortunate to have you.

Look forward to seeing the floorboard.
It's appreciated. Hope your Dad enjoyed his time with you. My Dad passed in '94 at an early age, but family has stayed mostly close together.

While I have enough pressure on myself being Mom's son, I know when to delegate responsibility and ask for help. Sure it's stressful, but I try to not think about my worries and focus on how I can help others. It takes the focus off of my problems, and allows me to be of help to others who might be in greater need. (Some good folks taught me that coping mechanism, and I can tell you, it does work.)

If I get one I am thinking of a couple of different options. I was thinking originally about the Tech 21 Midi Mongoose and use the extra 5 switches for 1- Bank up 2- Bank down 3- Mode (to get into preset to be able to turn change scenes or turn on/ff fx 4- Tuner 5- Tap Tempo. Then I thought of the Midi mouse for Bank up, Bank Down, Tap Tempo. Or Mission has switch called TT2 which is not midi but maybe I could use that for Tap Temp and something else, or LAST option would be maybe just something to do Tap Temp, especially as flexible as everything else is.

If I get one I am thinking of a couple of different options. I was thinking originally about the Tech 21 Midi Mongoose and use the extra 5 switches for 1- Bank up 2- Bank down 3- Mode (to get into preset to be able to turn change scenes or turn on/ff fx 4- Tuner 5- Tap Tempo. Then I thought of the Midi mouse for Bank up, Bank Down, Tap Tempo. Or Mission has switch called TT2 which is not midi but maybe I could use that for Tap Temp and something else, or LAST option would be maybe just something to do Tap Temp, especially as flexible as everything else is.
There's no option for changing banks with midi...

Also I don't think either the Midi Mongoose or Midi Mouse can do anything besides PCs.

Well then, there goes that idea.
If those are not devices you already have then maybe check out the Voes MX-5.

It is small, affordable and appears pretty configurable.

It appears that it supports Bank up/down but I can't comment on that since I don't have one.

Back
Top Bottom