What would you use an external switch for?

Deadpool_25

Fractal Fanatic
I have an FM3 and FC6. I mounted them to a pedalboard along with two expression pedals and two footswitches (a Mosky Dual). I never did get around to doing anything with those external switches though.

Currently I don’t plan on using any external switches for the FM9 setup but I’m not sure. If you were to add a switch or two to the FM9, what would you use it/them for?

I have two switches with my FC6. One does tap tempo and tuner on hold. The other does MLM on press and reveal (sticky) on hold.

I don't use them with the FM9. I don't find I need them with the 9 switches.

I have four on my main FC6, and two on the other FC6 that are going to move over to the FM9 when it returns. The CC pedals are currently in the main FC6 doing various CC things, but will soon-ish be hooked to an ExpressionIO MIDI CC unit and sent via MIDI to the FM9 and FX3, as well as down the line to Logic when recording, so CC activity can be recorded (and adjusted/fixed if deemed necessary) for reamping porpoises.

I tend to use the external switches for stuff that doesn't need an LED ring visually indicating its status, so things like utility switches, bank/preset/scene increment/decrement, etc. will be what they get used for most often. A pair are used as surrogates for CS #1 and CS#2 (which I use a lot), so that the cheap momentary switches take the wear instead of a Fractal button. Sometimes I will put CS #1 and/or CS #2 in the FC6 layout so there is a visual status indicator, but only usually in per-song presets that have room to "waste" a switch spot just as an indicator. The second pair of under-board switches is set up as a blank switch that I stick PPOs on, so they vary from preset to preset, but often are used to do channel toggles on the dirty/lead amp, so I get a few choices of dirt level to play with. I usually put an "extra" Scene toggle for C/B on the board to indicate channel, so it's dark on A, dim on B, and bright on C, and the under-board cheap momentary switches take all that wear also. :)

Eventually, the four free expression inputs on the main FC6 (the one hooked to the FX3 after the FM9 comes back and the other FC6 goes up for sale) will be hooked to a pair of Mosky dual switches I have hanging around, and used for stuff that exists solely within the FX3. Not sure if they can be considered as or used as stand-in switches, but will investigate. They might come through as CCs with only 0 and 127 possible for values rather than CS, which will likely mean that I can't share them from the FX3 to the FM9 to control stuff there, but I will at least be able to use them in the FX3. The stand-in or regular switches that are hooked to CS in either unit will be available in that unit as CS and in the other unit as Externals #11-16, so I will effectively have access to up to 12 CS in both boxes. :)

What was the question? :D

One likely for toggling I/O 2 separate levels of input gain, trim, cut or fat; hold function TBD. The 2nd switch toggle most likely for tuner; hold TBD.

I may choose to put the 1st switch as my dedicated "favorite" switch as was mentioned in a separate post, as "PERFORM" aka "HOME," and put the first switch concept mentioned before as part of my EFFECTS.

Am slowly chipping away at this, and am making progress in practice of thought, if not in reality...

Depends. Does it matter if you're from the KIondike or Egypt? ;)

FTR, I attended a Zoom wedding today where folks from across the globe attended. There were South Koreans, Egyptians, Jamaicans, folks from the US, Britain, India, you name it, they were there...

Apparently, the groom and bride's families had contacts from lots of places...and I think the brother who presided over the ceremony got a bit hammered while his wife let her hair down this evening.

The folks who watched on Zoom had their own chance to chat in breakout rooms for a good while. I spent my time this evening making some soup and some baked chicken while sipping a Yuengling...

Last edited:
Doesn’t appear that I’ll have to! I use 3 different switches with my FC6, two dual’s and a single. Tap/Tuner, Preset Up/Down and a momentary switch that I generally use for my Freqout to turn the loop on.

If I do add anything to the FM9 board aside from the two expression pedals, it’d be the Freqout, but I’d just keep the pedal right on the board itself. I really can’t think of anything else I’d need that‘s not in the OMG9 setup. The second I saw that setup on Leon’s first FM9 vid, I knew I was going to have everything I needed at my feet already!

I have a mosky dual switch, I only set it up for rehearsals to use the amp level+save feature. Allows me to quickly adjust amp volumes and save it to the presets I'll be using for the gig. This mainly for artist rehearsals or if I'm sticking to a pre-determined setlist. This allows me to make sure that I don't have to ride a volume pedal all night and I have a basic idea of how loud or quiet the band will play for the night/tour etc.

For cover gigs where I'm just using one preset and a bunch of scenes to cover everything I already have everything leveled out and use a volume pedal to adjust on the fly during the gig.

Just received my tools/materials for my effects board build. Having zero soldering/electronics skills may prove interesting, but I trust YT instructional vids. Worst could happen is my continuity could go south. No big deal.

While my Mom was visiting today, I asked her if she would like to take part in my effects board build. Mom steadied the board as the remaining EV-1 was removed and re-positioned, and the Temple Audio XLR MM Module was installed. My schedule won't likely allow for any electronics work until Friday or Saturday, so the 2 external switch builds will need to wait until then.

Have chosen the closest and furthest large access holes from the far left side of the board, left of the EV-1. The purpose is to avoid unintentional foot contact with the lowermost switch. I think the distance is sufficient.

EDIT: Here's my Temple Audio Duo 34 build. It's still looking forlorn without the FM9, but no worries. The reason for 3 Temple Audio XLR cables is one is connected to a XLR FM Module, the remaining 2 to a XLR MM Module. The FM Module serves as a male monaural output for floor monitor. The remaining 2 XLR MM outputs act as FOH XLR connections. The remaining FM XLR connection could be used to connect a FC6 if necessary, but was leftover from my FC12 FAS-Link/FM3 connection. The ¼" TRS plug connects to the EV-1. Once the external switches are installed, it will be possible to secure the loose cables and make for a cleaner-looking project.

The reason for my showing you this is to help you see what's part of my build.

80WhaIv.jpg

Last edited:
Just received my tools/materials for my effects board build. Having zero soldering/electronics skills may prove interesting, but I trust YT instructional vids. Worst could happen is my continuity could go south. No big deal.

While my Mom was visiting today, I asked her if she would like to take part in my effects board build. Mom steadied the board as the remaining EV-1 was removed and re-positioned, and the Temple Audio XLR MM Module was installed. My schedule won't likely allow for any electronics work until Friday or Saturday, so the 2 external switch builds will need to wait until then.

Have chosen the closest and furthest large access holes from the far left side of the board, left of the EV-1. The purpose is to avoid unintentional foot contact with the lowermost switch. I think the distance is sufficient.

EDIT: Here's my Temple Audio Duo 34 build. It's still looking forlorn without the FM9, but no worries. The reason for 3 Temple Audio XLR cables is one is connected to a XLR FM Module, the remaining 2 to a XLR MM Module. The FM Module serves as a male monaural output for floor monitor. The remaining 2 XLR MM outputs act as FOH XLR connections. The remaining FM XLR connection could be used to connect a FC6 if necessary, but was leftover from my FC12 FAS-Link/FM3 connection. The ¼" TRS plug connects to the EV-1.

The reason for my showing you this is to help you see what's part of my build.

80WhaIv.jpg
Nice. I will likely be repurposing my Duo 34 from my FM3 rig.

My Duo 34 originally housed 2 EV-1s and a FC12. No sense in wasting perfectly reusable materials.
Haha. Yup. Mine had the FM3, FC6, and a pair of EV-2s (and a couple of switches). I don’t know if I’ll have a switch on this one. I kinda doubt it.

Back
Top Bottom