What would you consider high action on a Les Paul?

No different from any string bend or vibrato. You should only press hard enough for a clean note anyway.
Soft touch is a great skill to learn. My (terse) question was more if the action itself is causing intonation problems.

Stewmac has a great neck relief gauge if you really want to nerd out:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...for-necks-and-fingerboards/neck-relief-gauge/

There's no right answer - it's kinda like asking what pick thickness is "right". If it feels good and is in tune, you're golden...

Soft touch is a great skill to learn. My (terse) question was more if the action itself is causing intonation problems.

Stewmac has a great neck relief gauge if you really want to nerd out:

https://www.stewmac.com/luthier-too...for-necks-and-fingerboards/neck-relief-gauge/

There's no right answer - it's kinda like asking what pick thickness is "right". If it feels good and is in tune, you're golden...
No, there is a right answer for this one because it's about what keeps the most next fret clearance while working within string amplitudes available dynamic (string clearance that is not detrimental in terms of next fret clearance ant a given action). Beyond a certain amount is detrimental to this and in fact a very small amount actually tracks best across a variety of string gauges and actions.

No, there is a right answer for this one because it's about what keeps the most next fret clearance while working within string amplitudes available dynamic (string clearance that is not detrimental in terms of next fret clearance ant a given action). Beyond a certain amount is detrimental to this and in fact a very small amount actually tracks best across a variety of string gauges and actions.
Well, then my answer would be to get a PLEK and go for lowest action. I dunno, I've played other people's guitars with what I would consider insanely high action and they loved it. Personal preference / feel definitely plays a role...

Well, then my answer would be to get a PLEK and go for lowest action. I dunno, I've played other people's guitars with what I would consider insanely high action and they loved it. Personal preference / feel definitely plays a role...
I mean personal preference has very little to do with the right relief. Not the action.

Back
Top Bottom