What would be the closest drive to the Seymour Duncan 805?

...level and Drive controls along with three mini pots that individually adjust bass, midrange and treble frequencies

90Hz (+/- 11dB)
750Hz (+/- 11dB)
2.1kHz (+/- 12dB)

"the 805 Overdrive features an entirely different chip (an MC33178)"

https://geargods.net/interviews/overdrive-week-interview-with-peter-rutter-of-vfe-pedals/

OD chips.png

"In addition to the MC33178 chip, the 805’s circuit employs back-to-back stacked glass diodes to generate distortion and provide up to 36dB of gain."

glass diodes?? is that a fancy way to say silicon... silica...glass? which one of these is GLASS?

diodes.png

honestly either one of the 808 drives, plus post EQ to taste, since you can only move the middle freq center you could use a PEQ block after the drive to center all the tone knobs like they are on the 805. I spent years chasing this elusive DS-1 majic voodoo tone, it turned out to be a ~7dB dip at 500Hz from the tone control being a highpass and lowpass filter combined, and a certain clipping diode type...it wasn't some mystical unicorn pixie dust distortion that made it awesome, it was a ~7dB dip at 500Hz and a diode swap. Now any drive I use I can make it do what I want, and they all sound badass.

...level and Drive controls along with three mini pots that individually adjust bass, midrange and treble frequencies

90Hz (+/- 11dB)
750Hz (+/- 11dB)
2.1kHz (+/- 12dB)

"the 805 Overdrive features an entirely different chip (an MC33178)"

https://geargods.net/interviews/overdrive-week-interview-with-peter-rutter-of-vfe-pedals/

View attachment 57765

"In addition to the MC33178 chip, the 805’s circuit employs back-to-back stacked glass diodes to generate distortion and provide up to 36dB of gain."

glass diodes?? is that a fancy way to say silicon... silica...glass? which one of these is GLASS?

View attachment 57764

honestly either one of the 808 drives, plus post EQ to taste, since you can only move the middle freq center you could use a PEQ block after the drive to center all the tone knobs like they are on the 805. I spent years chasing this elusive DS-1 majic voodoo tone, it turned out to be a ~7dB dip at 500Hz from the tone control being a highpass and lowpass filter combined, and a certain clipping diode type...it wasn't some mystical unicorn pixie dust distortion that made it awesome, it was a ~7dB dip at 500Hz and a diode swap. Now any drive I use I can make it do what I want, and they all sound badass.
Great! Thank you for the explanation

I found nice settings for a very low drive sound imo to simulate the 805 by using the "TD808 OD", just a little upon the break-up.

I've got my 805!

Seymour Duncan 805.jpg

I can get quite close to a basic tone (everything in the middle, drive slightly down) with the Axe-FX TD808. But it gets more complicated when moving from there.

Anyway, I think that I am not going to spend too much time trying to clone it on all its range. It has been quite long since I haven't played with a real pedal (the last one I sold was the Eternity Lovepedal, when I moved from the Axe-FX Standard to the Ultra) and I am enjoying tweaking the knobs again. It is nice to get instant results without moving through screens and mouse clicks.

Back
Top Bottom