What wireless system do YOU use?

Shure ULXD - solid unit. GLXD is great as well... Started moving to ULXD due to number of units needed and longer range for some outdoor events.

Same here - I love love love the battery life of the lithium units, I've never had one even come close to going dry on me.
I now have 2 ULXD4 half rack units in my rack - one for my mic, one for my guitar ( and one PSM300 for IEM, using the same batteries!) Never had any signal issues at all, and the belt transmitters are solid.

I have another ULXD4 in it's own single half-rack case if I'm using someone else's rig, and just need to bring just a wireless.

And for my FX8 pedalboard, I have a line6 g50, because it fits on the board nicely, otherwise, I'd get another ULXD4. I do notice a small difference in sound with the Line6 not being as crisp, but in a band setting, I can't hear my own thoughts either, so........

I used to have a Line 6 G55 in my bass rack. Loved it- no issues whatsoever!
I'm in the process of switching to an AX8 (going from rack to pedalboard), so I recently picked up the G70. I too, have heard a lot about dropout issues with the G70 in the past, but it's worked flawlessly for me so far. I love the functionality and compactness of it.

Started with X2. Loved the size/weight but receiving became less reliable over time.

Spent $ to switch to G70, which is fat & heavy in comparison, and I'd like something smaller/lighter but it's worked well so far. Almost went Shure GLXD16, but didn't know anyone near me who'd used one extensively. The used G70 I bought already had the 3.0 FW that fixed dropouts, and I haven't heard any at my gigs.

This is why i avoided all 2.4ghz systems, opting for the new samson synth 7 system. It has never given me any trouble, has a higb end feature set and is priced below $400.

I also use a GLXD16 (Shure) with no issues. I did buy a second battery to keep in the built in charger until the one in my body pack dies, but it really does last a long time.

I am using Shure GLXD 14 installed in rack, with 2 bodypacks for 2 basses and 3rd battery as backup in receiver. I am really happy with it. I am using also PSM300 as IEM with P3RA bodypack.

Another Line 6 G70 user here. I use it with the AX8. My pedal board is really clean, G70, AX8, and 2 expression pedals. Everything fits into a duffle bag and I can load in and out carrying everything in one trip.

Absolutely love my new (2-weeks now) Fractal Rig. I replaced a truck bed full of heads, cabs, and racks.

Another happy customer with the Line 6 G50. I've had it for almost 2 years now and haven't had a single issue with it. Totally rock solid. I chose the G50 over the G30 because the belt pack is made of metal. Just seems like it's built tougher.

Last edited:
Line 6 Relay g50. Same unit for close to 8 years.
I haven't played with a cord since then. Uses rechargeable AA.
Talk to me about these magical rechargeable AA batteries! Are you using just regular rechargeable Duracells/Energizers from the grocery store? Any brand recommendations? I love the G50 but that thing just destroys batteries.

Talk to me about these magical rechargeable AA batteries! Are you using just regular rechargeable Duracells/Energizers from the grocery store? Any brand recommendations? I love the G50 but that thing just destroys batteries.
I use either the Eneloop, or the Amazon-branded equivalent. Both are highly rated, recharge quickly, and have excellent performance. I use a Line6 G50 on my "grab and go" AX8 board, and a Line6 G90 with the AxeFX. I also have a Sennheiser G3 IEM system. All of those beltpacks use AA batteries. For me, a typical gig day means 6:00 PM soundcheck, and I don't turn off my guitar transmitter or IEM receiver beltpack until the gig is over, which sometimes is after 1:00 AM. I never swap or recharge my batteries at a gig, and batteries often have almost 50% capacity remaining. The reason I don't switch off my beltpacks : I leave them on because other musicians (sometimes in the opening band, and sometimes folks in my band) might be configuring their wireless systems after we soundcheck. If they do a frequency scan, I want them to see which frequencies are already in use. Heck, even if they don't bother doing a frequency scan, I want to them to notice that something is making it hard to use certain frequencies. I've been surprised occasionally by someone in an opening band who set up after us (remember : headliner sets up first and the other band sets up in front), who turned on their wireless rig during their soundcheck, and LEFT IT ON after they finished their set. That resulted in a frequency, which had appeared to be free during our soundcheck, becoming unavailable when we hit the stage. If everybody is using a system that can be software-controller, then it's super easy to manage frequencies for all units from a laptop. In most cases, it's a mismatch of system brands, and some aren't capable of that kind of centralized management. In those cases, it's squatters' rights on frequencies, so once I select an open frequency, I stake my claim.

Another G50 user here. Use it with my AX8 rig and fit's nicely on the pedalboard. Been using it for years now. Never had any issues with it. From large House of Blues type stages to outdoor festivals never had any issues. I did upgrade the transmitter cable though which is crap and have solid backups for it in my gig bag. I can be a little rough with the cables.

Shure GLXD - dat battery life! I do think that 2.4 ghz frequency is getting super popular though. My band uses three shure's and it works you just have to scan your channels. Cable is always a backup.

Back
Top Bottom