What wireless system do YOU use?

Just curious about what wireless systems you guys are using with your Fractals.

If using digital, do you notice much difference in sound at all?

I use a Shure SLX wireless with my AX8.
I love it, has been perfect for me since day 1.
I wanted to avoid the units in the 2.4ghz band in case of interference, although I haven't seen too many complaints about that on.here.

For the longest time it was an X2 rack mount.. now i have the Shure glxd half rack with the rechargeable battery. I hate it's half rack but the battery and transmitter pack make up for it. 19 hours on a charge. I played 5 gigs on one charge and just charged it because i could.. still had juice left. Sounds like a cord to me, well better. IMHO YMMV.

Using a Shure GLXD, pedal/tuner version. Crazy good battery life, good range and clarity. I don't notice a difference between wireless vs cable, but I'm tone deaf.

I have an intermittent low-pitched static noise. I thought it was a bad transmitter cable, but it wasn't. The noise is barely audible when playing quietly, I don't worry about it anymore.

Line 6 G90. But I do have an intermittent issue: Very rarely - unpredictably - the receiver will start making white noise. Restarting the unit (receiver and transmitter) do not handle the issue. Only handle is use a cable and then the issue goes away after a few minutes. I could never find out if it was environmental (marine environment) or a defect in the unit.
Otherwise, the G90 has been very good. Sounds great and works really well. Only gripe - the case battery holder is flimsy and I have to use tape to keep it closed.

My dream unit: A lectrosonic. Second best dream unit, the Shure QLXD System.

My wife got the Line 6 G90 for Christmas a little over a year ago. I didn't like it at first. Once I got in the habit of running the on-board frequency scan at sound check and selecting the most open frequency........Zero issues!

Seriously considering a Line6 Relay system, heard nothing but good things. Only thing I'm dubious about is the signal being converted to digital pre-AX8, but I guess digital technology has got so good now that it's probably not noticeable.

GLDX is sounding pretty tempting though...

Seriously considering a Line6 Relay system, heard nothing but good things. Only thing I'm dubious about is the signal being converted to digital pre-AX8, but I guess digital technology has got so good now that it's probably not noticeable.

GLDX is sounding pretty tempting though...
About half a year ago there used to be a lot of talk about the newer L6 units suffering from dropouts. Haven't checked since.

I am using an Xvive U2 which is staggeringly cheap. It actually sounds OK. Difference to cable is nearly unnoticable. Then again, I don't notice much difference between normal and UltraRes setting in the cab block, either. Using UltraRes IRs, of course.
It does add a tiny amount of hiss that gets noticable on very high treble settings and higher gain tones. Tolerable in gig situations.

But! My bass player bought the same unit, he's on channel 3, I'm on 1, and when we get too close (under 8 ft) dropouts happen. Also, when both our units are on, the FOH's connection with the wifi (N-) router connected to the digital mixer gets spotty. We now run a long network cable.

Can't speak for other brands, but this is my experience with the Xvives.

Another Shure GLXD user here. Its half-rack receiver is mounted on a Shure rack tray in my rack. I would have preferred it to be 1U rather than half-rack sized, but thats a minor issue. The rechargable lithium battery was a major selling point for me, over some other brands.
It's worked flawlessly for me so far.

G90. I was skeptical but needed something 'right now' ... It's absolutely killer. The companding of old analog stuff is the WORST ... and I think Line6 actually understands properly loading a guitar pickup. I dunno... it sounds and feels better than most cables to me.

G90. I was skeptical but needed something 'right now' ... It's absolutely killer. The companding of old analog stuff is the WORST ... and I think Line6 actually understands properly loading a guitar pickup. I dunno... it sounds and feels better than most cables to me.

This is really useful, thank you! I think it's always a worry coming from a purely analogue background, you know? Fractal have proved that it's 2017, not 1987 haha

I have both a G90 and G50 system. The G90 is in my touring rig, where it's racked with the AxeFX, a power conditioner, and my in-ear transmitter. The G50 is on the "fly rig" pedalboard with my AX8. Both systems have been very reliable for years, both domestically and internationally. With both the G90 and G50, I've walked out to the FOH position during our soundchecks. That's 150+ feet in some cases. I've never had a problem with dropouts. Onstage, the my receiver is less than 50 feet from me. The only issues I've had with either system were at places where something was overloading the 2.4 GHz frequency. Example: there is a big venue in Portland where all our wireless systems (of all brands) were intermittent. After a few shows there, we asked the FOH operator if any other bands had experienced wireless issues and he said it was a common complaint. We did some hunting around and located their WiFi base station. They'd installed a third-party firmware on their it, and cranked up the WiFi signal as high as it would go in order to cover the large venue and its production offices upstairs. It was interfering with the carrier signal in all wireless systems for the bands. They were also having trouble with their wireless phones - which use the 2.4 GHz frequency as a carrier. In a venue with a $250K sound / light system, they didn't want to spend $200 on a second WiFi base station to provide adequate coverage. When we play there, the instruments are all on cords, and our lead vocalist puts his wireless receiver directly in front of his monitor onstage, which gives him reliable coverage on the entire stage.

Back in the 80s and 90s, I experimented with analog wireless systems, wanting the freedom and convenience that might come from being wireless. But I hated the compansion, the tone, the lack of dynamic range, and I always had a weird sense that there was a tiny delay between what I was playing and what I was hearing. I must have bought - and returned - a dozen different systems, and finally just decided that wireless wasn't good enough. At this point, digital wireless systems are very good, very reliable, and very affordable. I haven't used the Shure systems, but lots of people here are happy with them as well. The main reason I've stuck with the Line6 wireless rigs is that I bought them years ago and really haven't had a compelling reason to switch.

This is really useful, thank you! I think it's always a worry coming from a purely analogue background, you know? Fractal have proved that it's 2017, not 1987 haha
Cool. A lot of us were also worried about adding another AD/DA round trip before the Axe... latency and whatnot. Another 'non issue' for me with the G90. I'm pretty picky when it comes to a perception of 'losing gain' or input signal. As I said, the companding stage of the old analog stuff just MURDERS the feel for me. Anyway...glad I could help.

Back
Top Bottom