What will you do when no more firmware updates?

What will you do if no more firmware updates on Mark I and Mark II?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm fine with my MK I and the newer versions don't offer anything I truly need. With the current firmware the unit sounds phenomenal and I can't really wish much more in terms of sound. Could use more bass amps and effects though.

For me to buy an Axe-Fx 3, it would have to offer a much friendlier user interface. No, I don't want it to be a rack version of the AX8 user interface. Line6 has got the right idea with their Helix on how to do it and I believe Fractal can do better.

My Mark I sounds great. It's not holding me back in the least- so I'll practice, and play, and enjoy it. When the Axe III shows up, I'm in though!
Seriously, I don't know if I've ever been so happy with a product. It's gotten better and better over time, and now that it's through it's development cycle, it still works perfectly and I'm getting the best tone I've ever had, with more flexibility than I've ever had. When the next big leap in hardware happens, I'll gladly shell out the cash for a new one, but for now, I will practice contentment.

Use my Mk I until III comes out and tempts me. It's ridiculously good now and I can't begin to use all the amazing capabilities that are in it now. Having an AX8 also helps keep my GAS down.

Firstly - Hope this does not happen
And if it does, keep using the AxeFxII until the III is announced. Once the III is stablized I would get one of those. I plan to keep the II as well!
Dont plan to Upgrade to XL/+

At some point EVERYTHING becomes obsolete. Heck, I'm well on my way.

I have dialed in awesome single coil presets and awesome double coil presets. What more do I need? I'm retired and probably cannot afford any more upgrades. Guess I'll just see how this unfolds.

If I wanted an XL, I would've gotten an XL.

That said, I'm still kinda put off by the "no upgrades" thing given that support for backwards compatibility is said to be the driver for the decision. It seems rather unlike Cliff to paint himself into a corner, increasing the FW image size to the point that the Mk 1 hardware can't support it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's planned obsolescence but the decision not to make the compatibility modes conditional when they were implemented is a heckuva case of unplanned obsolescence. :mad:

Mark I and Mark II users are kind of in no mans land if firmware updates stop what are your plans once it is no longer supported?

As a Mark I owner I for one definitely do not consider myself in no mans land - just extremely f**king delighted with my 5 year old purchase.

FW stops here? - zero complaints from me.

None of the above.
I am just finishing my current production (a few more days and it's done) and then I had planned to sell my Mk1 anyway. I am only working in the studio and would find a plugin version of the Axe perfect. Since that has been "kind of announced" in the "Plugins" section, I wanted to sell the Mk1 before the plugin comes out and the Mk1 might lose more of its worth. Now that FW updates might approach their end, I am hurrying with that even more.
So, if anybody in the European Union wants to buy an Axe Fx II Mk1 in about a week or ten days... ;)

I bought a new XL+ last week. I'm not sure if I'm going to sell my Mark I and might just keep using it for gigs and keep the XL+ in my studio. I like saying I'm an original Axe-Fx II Mark I owner and had it before most rock stars decided to copy me. My Axe-Fx II Mark I also has sentimental value. I still have my Mesa Boogie Triaxis and 290 and Marshall 1960AV too.

Is the Mark I and Mark II going to magically sound crap? Was that in the memo?

Don't know about you, but I would be happy if there was no more updates - I'm getting all the tone I need out of the box as it is.

I'm fine with my MK I and the newer versions don't offer anything I truly need. With the current firmware the unit sounds phenomenal and I can't really wish much more in terms of sound. Could use more bass amps and effects though.

For me to buy an Axe-Fx 3, it would have to offer a much friendlier user interface. No, I don't want it to be a rack version of the AX8 user interface. Line6 has got the right idea with their Helix on how to do it and I believe Fractal can do better.

Exactly, the xl and xl+ don't offer anything other than memory that interest me, and that is not nearly enough to go through the trouble of selling the Mark 1 and purchasing an XL+. If the Axe 3 doesn't have updated interface/screen I'll pass on that as well. Still it surprised me that Cliff chose to let a few users who don't have the brains to just redo their presets after an update win while the majority of users don't even use the multi firmware feature. I bet we could get another year or more of updates had Cliff made the choice to drop that very unused feature which poll after poll shows majority of users can live without.

I'm fine with my Mark 1...honestly, if I find that I've run the course with my Axe 2 Mark 1, I'll probably go to an amp with a loadbox and software IRs. I kept my Dual Recto and I've been alternating between it and the Axe and have been sorely tempted to put a GCX pedal switching rig together with it. In fact, I'll probably put my pre Axe rack with G-Major and pedals in an Axess GCX back together this week. Other than for recording through my monitors I'm not at all a fan of FRFR and I'm not 100% happy with what I've gotten with my Matrix through my 4x12, so the Axe might head toward 4cm or just as a processor. All of which were reasons why I bought the Axe in the first place, to be able to run it a bunch of different ways...

Wait until the III comes out. If somehow it doesn't, then I'll buy an XL+. But I'm definitely not going through the hassle of selling my II to upgrade to the XL just for a couple extra firmware updates. I'm either without one for a few months (no can do with my studio work), or I buy an XL first and I'm out somewhere in the ballpark of an extra $3,000 until I can sell the one I have currently. No thanks.

I'm going to roll back to FW9 and do it all over again .... if I include beta FWs and do one upgrade per week it should mean about 2 years until I'm back at current Quantum 4.

I might fit in a session or 2 of what jollo suggests above too of course ... when there's nothing good in the Musical Instruments For Sale section on craigslist you might as well try some other sections now and again I guess.

It's real simple for me. There isn't anything else that I need that the MKI doesn't have already so I'd be fine if there were no updates from this point on. I can't really imagine anything else that I'd need.

But I know that if there was something that the XL+ could do in a future update could that I wanted I'd probably plunk down the cash and get one. It doesn't have anything to do with needing it, but wanting it. Then again I only really use about 1/10th of what this thing can do already.

Reactions: Ole
Back
Top Bottom