What will you do when no more firmware updates?

What will you do if no more firmware updates on Mark I and Mark II?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If I wanted an XL, I would've gotten an XL.

That said, I'm still kinda put off by the "no upgrades" thing given that support for backwards compatibility is said to be the driver for the decision. It seems rather unlike Cliff to paint himself into a corner, increasing the FW image size to the point that the Mk 1 hardware can't support it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's planned obsolescence but the decision not to make the compatibility modes conditional when they were implemented is a heckuva case of unplanned obsolescence. :mad:
The mk I/II are old hardware, be happy enough it's been updated this much. Why are you angry ? Do you know any other product that got so much updates ? I don't

If I wanted an XL, I would've gotten an XL
You can still buy an XL+ now and use the MKI/II as a backup :D
There are numerous expensive musical gear that has flaws or an update a decade, and they are used.
Fractal did a revolution for free, evolving hardware to its limit and often.

Bashing Fractal like that is like telling they are guilty manufacturing too reliable and too updated products ?!
It would be acceptable for updates to stop if they were less often and if the "old" axefxs were less reliable ?

Don't buy a Mac or this kind of hardware ^^ or a car
As a PC user, I know my graphic card will be outdated nearly every year, costs a bunch, and there is no Cliff to update it :D

PS : I totally understand why the FW-gate hurts, but netiquette first

The only things I really want out of the Axe-Fx in a perfect world that it doesn't do right now are things that remaining firmware updates themselves won't be able to provide.

- Two routable effects loops
- 3-4 Drive blocks per patch
- All global amp blocks switchable within one patch.
- Amp block tone controls plus presence and depth controllable via MIDI

That kind of thing. Otherwise, the current Axe-Fx is still the best musical purchase, and quite possibly entertainment product purchase overall I've ever made.
Plus, even when new firmwares eventually stop coming, I'll still have the remaining 90%+ of the Axe's capabilities I haven't touched yet to experiment with.
So yeah, even if development stopped today, this thing is going to keep me busy discovering new sounds for years.

Last edited:
aleclee said:
If I wanted an XL, I would've gotten an XL

Hey man!
Let's play our Axe and leave decisions to Cliff.
He more than anyone knows what to do. Your choice will be the right one. :)

I own Mark II, and it's extremly difficult to upgrade to XL for me, simply because they are unavailable in my country. I'll be sad if no more upgrades for me, BUT I WOULD NEVER EVER be angry at Cliff and the whole Fractal team after all they gave me for free. I just can't.

Those pissed off guys are spoiled, sick and selfish dudes.

What will you do if no more firmware updates on Mark I and Mark II?
This poll will close on Oct 27, 2016 at 4:38 AM.
1. Buy a used XL or XL+
2. Buy a new XL+
3. Wait for Axe-FX III
4. Buy an AX8
5. Buy a non Fractal product
6. Keep using Mark I or Mark II no plans to change.

I'd look into buying one or two Mark IIs on craigslist because some people will undoubtedly have an urge to sell them at a discount. This way I can leave one rig at band practice. And maybe have one as backup. Then have a cheeseburger. (With bacon and onion rings and barbecue sauce.)

I own an XL and an AX8. I hope they will serve me well for years to come, long after they are not supported. If in the future i succumb to G.A.S. for an Axe Fx III, then so be it!

That said, I'm still kinda put off by the "no upgrades" thing given that support for backwards compatibility is said to be the driver for the decision. It seems rather unlike Cliff to paint himself into a corner, increasing the FW image size to the point that the Mk 1 hardware can't support it. I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's planned obsolescence but the decision not to make the compatibility modes conditional when they were implemented is a heckuva case of unplanned obsolescence. :mad:
This reminds me I have an old DOS XT (8086 processor) computer, from the 80s, and I'm really pissed I cannot get Windows 10 to run on it. And it really pisses me off more that Microsoft had the nerve to keep writing bigger and bigger code, to create newer versions of windows. That made me have to buy bigger, more powerful, faster computers with lots more memory to run it.
Oh and my rotary phone does not work anymore.:rolleyes:
Any good company will continue to improve their products and make them better. And sometimes you have to get the latest hardware to be able to enjoy the new features. This is especially true with any computer and electronics technology. For me, I will never NOT purchase something because of fear of a newer product version coming out. I can't even count how many times I've upgraded my television.

Appears there is a simple solution to all of this... (if this hasn't been mentioned yet)
Mark I & II updates only have the current and the previous firmware version included.
XL update has the current update and all previous firmware versions.
This way Mark I & II owners still get the update and can always load up a previous firmware if they like it better.
And those that want all previous firmware versions loaded can update to an XL

Better sell that MkII ASAP, Q5 is coming!;)

This way Mark I & II owners still get the update and can always load up a previous firmware if they like it better.

Yep, this is the easiest way to resolve this.

Best solution is to just release the FW as is and the user will have to decide if the updates are worth it or not to them and any changes to their amp tone that comes with it.

Keep my AX8.

But, if I still had my MkI, I would stop obsessing about new FW updates.

Nah! To be honest, I would miss being able to enjoy the improvements.

I... might play more...

Wow, that's just a really rude thing to say. I'm amazed what some people will infer given that they know absolutely nothing about how much work goes into a product like this. Accusing a manufacturer with a track record like ours of planned obsolescence is downright insulting.
The axe-fx is so good now there is no such thing as obsolete. Honestly it sounds identical to every amp that is modeled What more do you want? I am happy now even if there is never another firmware released. Its all just a bonus now.

Appears there is a simple solution to all of this... (if this hasn't been mentioned yet)
Mark I & II updates only have the current and the previous firmware version included.
XL update has the current update and all previous firmware versions.
And those that want all previous firmware versions loaded can update to an XL

Everything's simple when someone else is doing the work ;)
-
Austin

Well honestly I could finally not have to constantly re do my presets, often the updates other than cool new amps, just alter my presets. Ive been happy with the axe fx mk1 since day one fw 1.

I usually keep my comments to myself but I feel compelled to chime in on this one. If my Axe-Fx never got another update ever again that would be fine with me. Why? Because it sounds great now. I can get any sound I want right now. Will it stop sounding great if I can't continue to update the firmware? Of course not. It will sound exactly the same. I think some folks just like creating controversy for its own sake.

Back
Top Bottom